Manager : If it was your choice who would you have ..?

neil62uk

1 minute ago, Mafiabob said:

Gary Rowett but I know I’ll get shot down by a lot on here.

Best manager apart from Mac in the last decade here 

No chance would he leave Millwall for a club bottom of the Championship with very little money to spend. I also don't think he'd be the most suitable candidate because he'd have to rebuild the squad in his image again, which would mean another lurch in recruitment strategy and playing style.

But yes, he was comfortably the second best manager we had in the 2010s IMO.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Andicis said:

Particularly loved it when we lost 4-1 at home to relegation bound Sunderland with our squad of expensive veterans.

Same can be said of any manager here having bad results.

Better manager than given credit for, didn’t BoUnCe though did he..... also went early enough to give the next manager a chance at a pre season. 

Last manager that knew how to win away as well regularly. Apart from Wolves that season, we looked like we can make a game of it away from home.

Much better than other names here in the last decade. 

Just now, Mafiabob said:

Better manager than given credit for, didn’t BoUnCe though did he..... also went early enough to give the next manager a chance at a pre season. 

Last manager that knew how to win away as well regularly. Apart from Wolves that season, we looked like we can make a game of it away from home.

I know, a freak result doesn't define a manager - was only poking fun. In all seriousness, I wouldn't want him back. He's great for the Millwall's of the world, good at creating a siege mentality and managing players that will run through walls for him. Was never going to work here really, as it didn't at Stoke. I'd sooner take Wassall than him I feel. Definitely better than the Pearson's of the world though.

Just now, Mafiabob said:

Also, I'm sure the football wasn't anywhere near as bad as has been made out since he 'snaked' us. 

We scored loads that season and it was honestly my favourite ever time as a Derby fan when we stormed up the table in autumn/winter of 2017 (although that was probably because I had just turned 18 and didn't have to hide my pint in the pubs on away days anymore).

2 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

Gary Rowett but I know I’ll get shot down by a lot on here.

Best manager apart from Mac in the last decade here 

I would place Lampard above him, but Rowett would be 3rd. 

I don’t get the obsession with us wanting former managers back though, maybe the club are to blame for bringing Mac back.

I can’t even walk down the men’s toiletries aisle in Tesco now as I get the urge to kick the Mach 3 blades off the shelves.

Anyway, Rowett also has a job. I would imagine we will either employ from within or be shopping in the unemployed basket. 

All funds available used to bring a striker in and no, not signing Chris flipping Martin from Bristol City! ?

Just now, Andicis said:

I know, a freak result doesn't define a manager - was only poking fun. In all seriousness, I wouldn't want him back. He's great for the Millwall's of the world, good at creating a siege mentality and managing players that will run through walls for him. Was never going to work here really, as it didn't at Stoke. I'd sooner take Wassall than him I feel. Definitely better than the Pearson's of the world though.

I can get on board with Wassall and think it’s an absolute travesty the announcement Rooney, Rosenior et al have been mentioned to look after 1st team affairs when he’s the only one whose took charge of Derby before. Think it’s a big smack in the face in all honesty 

1 minute ago, David said:

I would place Lampard above him, but Rowett would be 3rd. 

I don’t get the obsession with us wanting former managers back though, maybe the club are to blame for bringing Mac back.

I can’t even walk down the men’s toiletries aisle in Tesco now as I get the urge to kick the Mach 3 blades off the shelves.

Anyway, Rowett also has a job. I would imagine we will either employ from within or be shopping in the unemployed basket. 

All funds available used to bring a striker in and no, not signing Chris flipping Martin from Bristol City! ?

No obsession as you allude too.

I also disagree he’s behind Lamps in the former manager ranks.

Its just a thread for opinions, doesn’t mean he will come back, just see Rowetts name gets stick a lot on here and I think in fan terms it’s what we do, we like to dump on those at times. Lampard left us far far more in the lurch than Rowett ever did.

If i was to be properly pushed, Wassall should be in charge of this team for the rest of the season, it all depends on these new owners, no one knows really what they are all about. If it was still Mel here I’d be pursuing Wassall’s case.

Just now, Mafiabob said:

No obsession as you allude too.

I also disagree he’s behind Lamps in the former manager ranks.

Its just a thread for opinions, doesn’t mean he will come back, just see Rowetts name gets stick a lot on here and I think in fan terms it’s what we do, we like to dump on those at times. Lampard left us far far more in the lurch than Rowett ever did.

If i was to be properly pushed, Wassall should be in charge of this team for the rest of the season, it all depends on these new owners, no one knows really what they are all about. If it was still Mel here I’d be pursuing Wassall’s case.

A general obsession should I say, not directed solely at you.

Mac 3 is actually being touted around by a few as a serious suggestion which really boggles my mind.

As for Wassall, I think he should be left where he is which is doing a fantastic job for the U23s. Move him then you have to move elsewhere and the academy gets shaken up where we have some stability for the young lads.

7 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

Didn't he already have half an eye on the Stoke job in the January when he renegotiated a better contract with us. To be fair that probably earned us a few extra dollars when he eventually jumped ship. It would be a massive backward step if this happened imho. Thankfully I think it's a non-starter anyway. 

14 minutes ago, Mckram said:

Bookies and fans wish lists don’t really count when writing off if a manager is worthy or not, surely?!

If they did then I’ve seen Benitez linked with Atletico Madrid, Valencia, Newcastle, all at 12/1 or better...does that mean these teams should snub him because he’s linked by Bookies and Derby fans to low league Derby? 

My point was our aspirations should be set a little higher, and no doubt will be under new ownership.

The bookies price for Rovers was just some additional context as to where expectations maybe as to where they might be shopping for a manager.

17 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

Didn't make much attempt to win that game away at Fulham, did he? 

That was one of the most demoralising nights as an away supporter in recent years. Just because we didn't even try to win the match.

2 minutes ago, angieram said:

That was one of the most demoralising nights as an away supporter in recent years. Just because we didn't even try to win the match.

All of my annoyance from that night is directed at the Fulham fans and their bloody clapper things.

2 minutes ago, Van Rammeister said:

My point was our aspirations should be set a little higher, and no doubt will be under new ownership.

The bookies price for Rovers was just some additional context as to where expectations maybe as to where they might be shopping for a manager.

Fair enough.

I’m of the opposite hope...I’d like someone who’s done a good job and is actually looking to impress further. If we end up with a big name then I question how much it would bother them if they fail with Derby.

I’m tired of the circus that comes with bigger names like Frank Lampards Derby County and Wayne Rooneys Derby County as well. A few years under the radar please! 

Just now, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

All of my annoyance from that night is directed at the Fulham fans and their bloody clapper things.

That was annoying too but it wouldn't have been if we were trying to win - we'd have been laughing at them! 

Anyway, from an enjoyment point of view, I would have Rowett below Lampard and well below Mac 1.

1 minute ago, Mckram said:

Fair enough.

I’m of the opposite hope...I’d like someone who’s done a good job and is actually looking to impress further. If we end up with a big name then I question how much it would bother them if they fail with Derby.

I’m tired of the circus that comes with bigger names like Frank Lampards Derby County and Wayne Rooneys Derby County as well. A few years under the radar please! 

I’d like Jokanović myself, but fear the circus is about to get bigger. 

We shall see.

4 minutes ago, angieram said:

I agree to an extent, I like to think Rowett would agree with that too. However I can think of far more demoralising times away from home that that 

7 minutes ago, angieram said:

Totally agree the negative way he set us up and we never even had a go once we went behind. We had a similar set up away at Wolves a few weeks before just sitting back even once losing it was dross.

Archived