Manager : If it was your choice who would you have ..?

neil62uk

2 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

I agree to an extent, I like to think Rowett would agree with that too. However I can think of far more demoralising times away from home that that 

I think there was just so much at stake and we blew it. Lampard at Wembley isn't far behind, but I do think Lampard thought that he was picking the best team for the win, and it certainly wasn't his intention not to attack, whereas Rowett didn't even try to go for it.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, David said:

A general obsession should I say, not directed solely at you.

Mac 3 is actually being touted around by a few as a serious suggestion which really boggles my mind.

As for Wassall, I think he should be left where he is which is doing a fantastic job for the U23s. Move him then you have to move elsewhere and the academy gets shaken up where we have some stability for the young lads.

For me and I’m going off tangent, I see the same hype for the new owners with when Mel came back on board. I’d rather be more cautious and see what it’s going to be like rather than get all excited again like last time. Admittedly I was pretty aggressively putting my feelings in from the start from Morris, some unjustified too. I just don’t think we should be going all out thinking this is the answers to our prayers. We haven’t a clue and people posting on SM with opinion rather than fact should look at themselves in the mirror a bit more 

7 minutes ago, angieram said:

That was annoying too but it wouldn't have been if we were trying to win - we'd have been laughing at them! 

Anyway, from an enjoyment point of view, I would have Rowett below Lampard and well below Mac 1.

I'd have rowett below my mum's cat and one eyed Dave who sells the big issue on the marketplace.

Just now, angieram said:

I think there was just so much at stake and we blew it. Lampard at Wembley isn't far behind, but I do think Lampard thought that he was picking the best team for the win, and it certainly wasn't his intention not to attack, whereas Rowett didn't even try to go for it.

See I was more disappointed with Lamps in the final, especially in the lead up straight after the Leeds game, we peaked and made ourselves look small time (which sadly is the case now I feel)

10 minutes ago, angieram said:

That was annoying too but it wouldn't have been if we were trying to win - we'd have been laughing at them! 

Anyway, from an enjoyment point of view, I would have Rowett below Lampard and well below Mac 1.

For some reasons the lows with Rowett were almost...lower? You know what I mean? 

I think maybe it was that old adage of: "If we play like this and we're winning it's fine, but if we play like this and we're losing its awful."

That Sunderland defeat, Wolves and then the second leg against Fulham were just humiliating to watch as a Derby fan. 

Didn't feel that level of bad watching Derby play until we played Blackburn a few weeks ago; I think that's when I realised Cocu's time was coming to a rapid end. 

Enjoyment for me: Mac 1, Mac 2, Lampard, Rowett, Clough once or twice a season, and everyone else is a bit of a sad blur...haha!

Just now, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

I'd have rowett below my mum's cat and one eyed Dave who sells the big issue on the marketplace.

I like turtles 

7 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

I'm only appauling  poster's  for the name of what manager they would employ ... but the comment you've just made is worth 30 = ?  

1 minute ago, Mafiabob said:

For me and I’m going off tangent, I see the same hype for the new owners with when Mel came back on board. I’d rather be more cautious and see what it’s going to be like rather than get all excited again like last time. Admittedly I was pretty aggressively putting my feelings in from the start from Morris, some unjustified too. I just don’t think we should be going all out thinking this is the answers to our prayers. We haven’t a clue and people posting on SM with opinion rather than fact should look at themselves in the mirror a bit more 

100%

I wrote a long and boring post on this a few days ago after the club announced it had been agreed in principle.

Saw the excitement, Googling his net worth and talk of us being the Man City.

Drain one mans wallet, discard them and call for the next to roll up and open their wallet whilst complaining how much money we’ve spent under Mel. Go figure.

Nothing wrong with being excited, as long as expectations are not being built up which has been a real issue since the 13/14 season. 

5 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Enjoyment for me: Mac 1, Mac 2, Lampard, Rowett, Clough once or twice a season, and everyone else is a bit of a sad blur...haha!

Mac 2 above Lampard and Rowett? 

Don't get me wrong, he did an alright job and was probably harshly sacked, but I struggle to remember any huge highs under him.

19 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

Gary Rowett but I know I’ll get shot down by a lot on here.

Best manager apart from Mac in the last decade here 

Hmmm you are possibly right but I have doubts about him.

Putting his style of football to one side for the second, I disliked how he seemingly traded on his reputation in order to smooth over controversial decisions and that he had a nasty habit of saying one thing whilst doing something completely different. He went for short term success over building the health of the squad by bringing in a bunch of old pros on high wages, contributing to a squad that was already creaking due to bloat, age and high wages.  And for that we only squeaked 6th despite form being ropey for the back end of the season and never really looked like we were going to get promoted.

For me, a lot of why I wouldn't touch Rowett again can be summed up in an example that I think encapsulates all of the above along with issues over style of play; Hughes. He froze Hughes out and then sold him on the cheap because he wasn't Rowett's "Type of player" and to fuel the window of bringing in bunch of old seasoned pros for short term success. He then arguably mislead fans about the reasons why he was sold claiming that Hughes wanted to move on which was later contradicted by Hughes who indicated he was more shoved than jumped.

Really think he'd be the guy you want to jump to when you are sat on a wealth of academy talent ?

31 minutes ago, David said:

A general obsession should I say, not directed solely at you.

Mac 3 is actually being touted around by a few as a serious suggestion which really boggles my mind.

As for Wassall, I think he should be left where he is which is doing a fantastic job for the U23s. Move him then you have to move elsewhere and the academy gets shaken up where we have some stability for the young lads.

Mac 3 is one of those suggestions which at a glance seems ludicrous but we need someone who is going to get more out of the current squad, fast. And as daft as it to say he's done it twice before. Plus I'd argue the squad is in a good place for how he'd want to set us up. It's crazy I know but it does have a strange logic to it.

Valid points about Wassall but for similar reasons as above he is someone who previously has gotten the squad playing a lot more freely and with more confidence which is likely what we are in need of right now.

They are both being touted for similar reasons; we need something close to a sure bet, we need someone who can inject confidence in the squad, someone who has a track record of playing good football and someone who can likely have an instant bounce in terms of results/performances.

I probably wouldn't go for either, at least not initially but I get why they are being suggested.

1 minute ago, brady1993 said:

Mac 3 is one of those suggestions which at a glance seems ludicrous but we need someone who is going to get more out of the current squad, fast. And as daft as it to say he's done it twice before. Plus I'd argue the squad is in a good place for how he'd want to set us up. It's crazy I know but it does have a strange logic to it.

Valid points about Wassall but for similar reasons as above he is someone who previously has gotten the squad playing a lot more freely and with more confidence which is likely what we are in need of right now.

They are both being touted for similar reasons; we need something close to a sure bet, we need someone who can inject confidence in the squad, someone who has a track record of playing good football and someone who can likely have an instant bounce in terms of results/performances.

I probably wouldn't go for either, at least not initially but I get why they are being suggested.

Is there any examples of where a manager has been sacked by a club twice previously then been successful the third time of asking?

New owner on the horizon, is it not time to look forward not back? I’m sure we haven’t reached the point where the only man in football for the job is Steve McClaren.

Forsyth, Wisdom are the only 2 that remain from his stints at the club, it’s not like he can just waltz through the door with a cheery “Hi lads, I’m back, get yourselves into the 4-3-3 formation I’m just off to put my coat down”.

“Where’s Chrissy?”

E4B94595-9ABD-4360-BE2B-63893C757F28.jpeg

24 minutes ago, David said:

100%

I wrote a long and boring post on this a few days ago after the club announced it had been agreed in principle.

Saw the excitement, Googling his net worth and talk of us being the Man City.

Drain one mans wallet, discard them and call for the next to roll up and open their wallet whilst complaining how much money we’ve spent under Mel. Go figure.

Nothing wrong with being excited, as long as expectations are not being built up which has been a real issue since the 13/14 season. 

Where’s my ducking like then ?

33 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

For some reasons the lows with Rowett were almost...lower? You know what I mean? 

I think maybe it was that old adage of: "If we play like this and we're winning it's fine, but if we play like this and we're losing its awful."

That Sunderland defeat, Wolves and then the second leg against Fulham were just humiliating to watch as a Derby fan. 

Didn't feel that level of bad watching Derby play until we played Blackburn a few weeks ago; I think that's when I realised Cocu's time was coming to a rapid end. 

Don't forget the Burton away game as well. 

ryan reynolds want GIF

5 minutes ago, David said:

Is there any examples of where a manager has been sacked by a club twice previously then been successful the third time of asking?

New owner on the horizon, is it not time to look forward not back? I’m sure we haven’t reached the point where the only man in football for the job is Steve McClaren.

There's a first time for everything - ask Leicester!

So your reason for being anti-Mac is basically Martin! ? Of course there are plenty of managers out there - but with the mess we're in and the type of football Mac can get players playing (and lots of other positive reasons) it's no surprise he's mentioned. I'm sure until we get a successful manager Mac will always get some votes!

Archived