Bristol City v Derby County: Matchday Thread (A)

Ghost of Clough

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

I have to say Cocu’s ability to get 64 points out of this side last season is shining through, considering also with the shambles off the pitch that plagued it. 

It wasnt this side though was it...that side had bogle,martin,Marriott and more in it.

The miracle was that he did so little with it and was then party to dispensing with all of its best bits for this season.

20 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

Come in you know exactly what I mean but are being purposely obtuse. Player for player this side should not be 24th. They are good enough to be clear of relegation. 

My point is that they have the quality but they’re not showing it. They are not putting in performances they are capable of and they need to really be asking difficult questions of themselves. 

2 weeks of giggling in training and having the ‘shackles’ taken off saw little improvement. 

Believe me fella I aint slow to understand, I've been watching DCFC since 1966 over 1300 home games plus 100s away, Played, Managed and even Refereed the game.

What was it when Forest went down from the Prem..."too good to go down" guess what, They were relegated, If these players have the "QUALITY" but not showing it...why...is the question, You can take a horse to water, But you can't make it drink, These quality players need to show their quality, Until then it will be more of the same.

26 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

His passing, particularly across field, was excellent. He kept the ball moving well. In the final third Holmes was poor, lost the ball often. Waghorn couldn't...etc and Lawrence again made wrong decisions.

Totally agree are people watching a different game ?? I thought Rooney played well today and still looks class but yes he's 35!! give him a break ffs....most teams in the championship would like Rooney in there team....we just don't have any cutting edge up front.....put a Dwight Gayle or another 25 goal a season striker in our side and we win games more than we lose...we didn't play badly today at all 

11 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

I will take the blame this week.... just seconds before they scored my wife was just walking out the door to go shopping and asked me how they are doing, I looked up from the TV and proclaimed, “they have this in the bag, got 1-0 Rooney wrote all over It, it’s back on” by the time she had got to her car, realized she forgot her mask and come back in I had turned off the TV and said “usual poo, we just conceded a crap goal”....and I went shopping with her...! 

Lucky b****r, we can't even go shopping!

and I hate shopping!

3 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

It wasnt this side though was it...that side had bogle,martin,Marriott and more in it.

The miracle was that he did so little with it and was then party to dispensing with all of its best bits for this season.

He had barely the talent Lampard in it and wasn’t far off matching it. The shambles he’s had to deal with off it amongst other constraints makes it a better achievement for me. Agreed Bogle and Martin were here fair points.

Thought Wisdom was pretty good today. Solid defensively for most of it and played some good forward passes as well. Defence as a whole really apart from a couple of terrible mistakes were alright.

I'd still rather only play one defensive mid even if Rooney did just roam wherever he wanted. Bird had a pretty solid game though - good to see him back. Holmes was awful today - everything broke down with him - don't know if its just lack of playing time, but would have played Sibley from the start.

Lawrence infuriating as always thinking he is Zlatan. Also have no idea why he put in such a dangerous sliding tackle when the opposition weren't going anywhere. Waghorn alright, but is better on the wing. Fingers crossed this is also the last time we waste Knight on the wing. I know we have to butcher the lineup to fit Rooney in somewhere, but i really wish we wouldn't.

Thought Whittaker looked promising when he came on as well, but again don't know why we waited until the very end of the game to make any meaningful subs.

Better than the last few games, but doesn't really matter if we play like that in the final third every match.

48 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

We might have have had an awful season to date, but we weren’t awful today. We controlled much of the game, but had insufficient quality again in the final third. Deserved a draw in my opinion.

Rooney/Rosenior taking pelters even though a good number of our players today were away last week on international duty. No real chance as yet to get everyone together, to significantly change our approach.  I thought however we did try to mix it up today a bit more than of late, but regrettably Waghorn, Lawrence and Holmes all had poor games. Good to see Bird back, looked quality I thought.

Your posts recently have not gone unnoticed. Superb point there you have made. Not one even I had stopped to consider until now. 

I do feel there is a strong dislike for Rooney to be given a chance, so strong it would need to be a drastic change on the pitch for hands to go up and say, yeah maybe this could be alright.

There were small things today, but as you say, Jozwiak, Lawrence, Knight, Sibley, Buchanan, Marshall have all been away whilst this all went down. Probably had a couple of days at most with these players.

3 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

..the only one we miss is Martin...Byrne is better than Bogle and Marriott hasn't done anything for some time

just watching the tackle Byrne  made second half when anticipating the ball across our six yard box in the second half would've been a goal with Bogle playing because he was  not defensively good enough and got caught napping several times with the same type of cross ....we need a striker or 2 thats all ....we did not play bad today just don't have the cutting edge up top 

1 minute ago, Mafiabob said:

He had barely the talent Lampard in it and wasn’t far off matching it. The shambles he’s had to deal with off it amongst other constraints makes it a better achievement for me. Agreed Bogle and Martin were here fair points.

He had a nightmare to deal with off the field,no doubt,you can't help than sympathize with that.....it's his groundwork for this season that has caused our current troubles (together with the lack of finance from Mel at exactly the wrong time)

6 minutes ago, S8TY said:

put a Dwight Gayle or another 25 goal a season striker in our side and we win games more than we lose

Dear Santa

you know I've been REALLY good all year.

What I want for Christmas (I'll wait until January) is Dwight Gayle or similar.

Lot of loveyness

RoyMac5 *mwah*

Just now, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

He had a nightmare to deal with off the field,no doubt,you can't help than sympathize with that.....it's his groundwork for this season that has caused our current troubles (together with the lack of finance from Mel at exactly the wrong time)

Just a shambles ain’t it mate, I still think right man, wrong time.... 

1 hour ago, Andicis said:

Not really. Waiting for the Tottenham game to start and discussing the game. You're make petty comments trying to get a rise out of people because you disagree. I don't really care. 

I think I am just getting too “middle aged” to get irritated by football any more. I should probably wish I had you passion.?

1 hour ago, Anag Ram said:

Yes. I think for many seasons we have had players who are mentally weak. 

The management team were guilty of not bringing JHI on earlier but players should know that they need to get themselves in the box when we are attacking and that you get goal side of your man when defending. 

Once again today we were 'lucky' that Marshall's poor control wasn't seized upon and that Wisdom 's obstruction of his man to prevent his poor back pass being reached wasn't seen. 

Buchanan was great for an hour today, then awful for half an hour. 

That's part of his development. He is a great prospect. 

Our biggest problem remains that we have a team of midfielders and inside forwards. Everyone wants to play pretty football and no one puts their hand up as a goalscorer. 

It's 'after you Claude' every week. 

The balance is wrong because we try to shoehorn Lawrence in and our midfield doesn't carry any kind of goal threat. 

Jozwiak, Waghorn and JHI up front next week. 

So we aren't allowed to be unlucky but we are allowed to be lucky ?

I don't argue that we are missing a goal scorer, I don't see that being JHI, I think bringing him in will not help, personal opinion based upon seeing him play.

Lawernce for me is the only one that will have a shot, take him out and you lose that, Id bring in Joziwak for Knight, he isn't a winger and although has bags of energy for me is behind Bird in quality on the ball. For me though today wasn't that bad, we deserved a draw at a minimum and I'd take playing like we did over the way Bristol did every day of the week. And yes I know they came away with the three points.... 

4 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Dear Santa

you know I've been REALLY good all year.

What I want for Christmas (I'll wait until January) is Dwight Gayle or similar.

Lot of loveyness

RoyMac5 *mwah*

One piece of the jigsaw, the other is getting players into the box, at present we don't do it often enough.

Archived