Bristol City v Derby County: Matchday Thread (A)

Ghost of Clough

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, angieram said:

We did it a lot quicker today, though, gave the defence less time to settle. I thought we got to them at times but couldn't capitalise because of the lack of quality - and confidence - in the final third.

I thought Bird was particularly creative and played some lovely through balls that Holmes and Lawrence failed to progress.

We will have to disagree about Waghorn. God loves a trier, but I can see better options sitting on the bench. I would play him wider.

I wasn't suggesting Wassall by the way, just saying even he would play a centre forward. 

Maybe it was quicker than the last few games, but I don’t think it was loads better than the Watford game, for example. I was hoping for much more of a revolution - in particular, much more emphasis on pressing as a team. We tried it a bit more, but it was largely Waghorn on his own, which will never work.

I agree on Bird, thought he was very good, and the forwards wasted a couple of good chances. Don’t think I said I rate Waghorn by the way haha, I just don’t really see any other options. Maybe one of the young lads can step up, but I don’t know enough to comment on that. The failure to sign a new striker is a criminal mistake imo.

3 hours ago, Grumpy Git said:

Save a fiver next week and ask for a link. You can send the other fiver to a charity of your choice.

Cheers mate ? but the club aren't getting any fans through the door so they'll need the money to pay Rooney's massive wages ?

8 minutes ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

Booked him for pulling Holmes’s shirt in the box and gave us a corner

Come on even a moron wouldn't notice a foul and not give the penalty. How do you know it wasn't for dissent whe  Paterson was clearly having a moan at the ref. Could I borrow your crystal ball please as you obviously know more or give me the lottery numbers 

1 minute ago, Millenniumram said:

Maybe it was quicker than the last few games, but I don’t think it was loads better than the Watford game, for example. I was hoping for much more of a revolution - in particular, much more emphasis on pressing as a team. We tried it a bit more, but it was largely Waghorn on his own, which will never work.

I agree on Bird, thought he was very good, and the forwards wasted a couple of good chances. Don’t think I said I rate Waghorn by the way haha, I just don’t really see any other options. Maybe one of the young lads can step up, but I don’t know enough to comment on that. The failure to sign a new striker is a criminal mistake imo.

Well not signing a target man has cost Cocu his job. 

The problem now though is who is in charge of picking the team and formation because you ultimately have to have a boss. 

Brian Clough would take advice off Peter Taylor but he had the final decision on tactics and team selection. 

Cocu is gone now but we still need a Manager in his own right. 

8 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

FFS. You accused me of hating Cocu the person.

Yes I was never convinced by Cocu's ability - is that a crime? You seem more upset by the fact I got it right than the fact Cocu was wrong for us!

My posts aren't blinkered at all - we played well today. No way would you think that was a Cocu performance. 

I didn’t mean you had a personal hatred of him as a man, I meant you had a blinkered hatred of him as a manager. It’s not a crime to not rate him, but it’s unfair to not judge the new management team in the same way.

If you recall, I was very much in the “Cocu isn’t doing a good enough job” camp, and has been for a while, so I was in favour of the sacking. But you’re deluded if you think the performance today was anything different to what Cocu served up. I mean lots of possession, but few clear cut chances created, and losing to a fairly late goal because we made our substitutes too late? Yeah, absolutely no way you’d think that was a Cocu performance...

3 minutes ago, Curtains said:

Well not signing a target man has cost Cocu his job. 

The problem now though is who is in charge of picking the team and formation because you ultimately have to have a boss. 

Brian Clough would take advice off Peter Taylor but he had the final decision on tactics and team selection. 

Cocu is gone now but we still need a Manager in his own right. 

I think poor attacking coaching contributed as well, but yes, the lack of a striker certainly didn’t help.

Fully agree with you on having one manager. It’s an absolute farce that no one has been named the official caretaker manager.

12 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

A bigger concern for me is how Sibley and Whittaker can’t get a look in.

I want to know what happened to the Cocu who would happily give these players a go and trust them. It is like the club hit a panic button a few games in.

If we now want to be more attack minded(which we have to be), these guys are what we need to use!

1 minute ago, Millenniumram said:

I think poor attacking coaching contributed as well, but yes, the lack of a striker certainly didn’t help.

Fully agree with you on having one manager. It’s an absolute farce that no one has been named the official caretaker manager.

I really think we need a new manager .

The takeover is taking too long. .

Who is charge MM or the new owners 

6 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

It’s not a crime to not rate him, but it’s unfair to not judge the new management team in the same way.

Oh okay I see that judging Cocu after a few months, a season, however long is the same as giving the new lot 5 days and one game (where we looked much better as a team, but limited up front)! ?

You're a real joker as is @Andicis? 

4 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

I didn’t mean you had a personal hatred of him as a man, I meant you had a blinkered hatred of him as a manager. It’s not a crime to not rate him, but it’s unfair to not judge the new management team in the same way.

If you recall, I was very much in the “Cocu isn’t doing a good enough job” camp, and has been for a while, so I was in favour of the sacking. But you’re deluded if you think the performance today was anything different to what Cocu served up. I mean lots of possession, but few clear cut chances created, and losing to a fairly late goal because we made our substitutes too late? Yeah, absolutely no way you’d think that was a Cocu performance...

They didn't have to do much to improve on our previous two games. But better than the games before then? Forest? Bournemouth?

Rooney wins praise for being honest and then plays himself only to serve up something we have seen already numerous times this season.

Today really should highlight that our problems ran far deeper than Cocu. Heck, given two weeks training, Cocu may have done better today!

15 minutes ago, Barney1991 said:

Come on even a moron wouldn't notice a foul and not give the penalty. How do you know it wasn't for dissent whe  Paterson was clearly having a moan at the ref. Could I borrow your crystal ball please as you obviously know more or give me the lottery numbers 

I’m going on the players reaction, what Rosenior said in his post match interview the fact I can’t see anywhere he’s been given a yellow card for dissent (sky app said he was booked for a foul) and why would he get booked for dissent in the build up to a corner?

And it is Keith Stroud so anything is possible - he is a moron

5 minutes ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

I’m going on the players reaction, what Rosenior said in his post match interview the fact I can’t see anywhere he’s been given a yellow card for dissent (sky app said he was booked for a foul) and why would he get booked for dissent in the build up to a corner?

And it is Keith Stroud so anything is possible - he is a moron

He is a moron ill give you that and who knows he may well have just couldn't believe he could be that stupid but hey ho suppose anything is possible 

9 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Oh okay I see that judging Cocu after a few months, a season, however long is the same as giving the new lot 5 days and one game (where we looked much better as a team, but limited up front)! ?

You're a real joker as is @Andicis? 

This is the whole point. It’s about judging each performance individually, without any preconceptions because of who is in charge. You don’t seem to be capable of doing that, as you’ve just evidenced by saying we looked much better as a team today. We didn’t, you only think that because you’re blinkered since Rooney is in charge now. If Cocu was still in charge, you’d still be coming on here calling for his head.

2 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

This is the whole point. It’s about judging each performance individually, without any preconceptions because of who is in charge. You don’t seem to be capable of doing that, as you’ve just evidenced by saying we looked much better as a team today. We didn’t, you only think that because you’re blinkered since Rooney is in charge now. If Cocu was still in charge, you’d still be coming on here calling for his head.

You do not get it do you. 

I think we did. You disagree.

You seem unable to comprehend that essential fact. The rest is you being extreme, again.

Archived