Bristol City v Derby County: Matchday Thread (A)

Ghost of Clough

40 minutes ago, David said:

Your posts recently have not gone unnoticed. Superb point there you have made. Not one even I had stopped to consider until now. 

I do feel there is a strong dislike for Rooney to be given a chance, so strong it would need to be a drastic change on the pitch for hands to go up and say, yeah maybe this could be alright.

There were small things today, but as you say, Jozwiak, Lawrence, Knight, Sibley, Buchanan, Marshall have all been away whilst this all went down. Probably had a couple of days at most with these players.

Not buying they haven't had time to work with players.  They've coached or played with them from day one so can plan a side and change things if their on the training pitch or not.  

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

it's an incredibly flat division, 3 wins and we're mid table   Today was really encouraging, except for the final third where tom and waggy were lacking and holmes was played hopelessly out of position.   It was SO much more positive and direct than the dishwater we have seen most of the season. Wisdom was back to his best after his trauma, Bird and Knight just getting better and better, Clarke was Mr Dependable, and WR more engaged and as good as he's been since lockdown  But up front we were just so weak   That will somehow get fixed, we have a few options, but maybe it will not be fixed till Jan     SkyBet has gone from 40/1 for a top 6 place before the game to 33/1   !! 

Just now, kevinhectoring said:

it's an incredibly flat division, 3 wins and we're mid table   Today was really encouraging, except for the final third where tom and waggy were lacking and holmes was played hopelessly out of position.   It was SO much more positive and direct than the dishwater we have seen most of the season. Wisdom was back to his best after his trauma, Bird and Knight just getting better and better, Clarke was Mr Dependable, and WR more engaged and as good as he's been since lockdown  But up front we were just so weak   That will somehow get fixed, we have a few options, but maybe it will not be fixed till Jan     SkyBet has gone from 40/1 for a top 6 place before the game to 33/1   !! 

Bloody Hell you watched the same game as me!!!

Hardly anyone else realised Cocu had gone apparently. ?

I’m not a holmes hater 

but every time I see him in our side ... more specifically in an attacking / creative role a little part of me dies 

he gives us many things , energy, a turn of pace 

but goal threat he doesn’t and quite honestly he’s more hinderence than help in that respect 

16 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Bloody Hell you watched the same game as me!!!

Hardly anyone else realised Cocu had gone apparently. ?

You need to stop replying to your burner account Roy ?

18 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

2 wins and were still 21st if no teams above us pick up any points so I dunno where 3 wins takes us to midtable comes from? 

18 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

Agree .... from the start taking the risk in passing the ball forwards. Whilst better ,no free pass for this management team yet though. The downside was the poor timing and use of substitutes, which was just like the Cocu days.

56 minutes ago, David said:

I do feel there is a strong dislike for Rooney to be given a chance, so strong it would need to be a drastic change on the pitch for hands to go up and say, yeah maybe this could be alright.

There were small things today, but as you say, Jozwiak, Lawrence, Knight, Sibley, Buchanan, Marshall have all been away whilst this all went down. Probably had a couple of days at most with these players.

So we’re blaming the international break now? No time on the training ground with the players? Bristol City will have had players on international duty. They also had a COVID outbreak and their training ground was shut for several days this week.

Of course people are against giving Rooney a chance and will need convincing. It’s the same in any line of work and for anyone who is new or inexperienced to a job. You have to prove yourself as worthy of the job.

If this was summer 2020 and Rooney had just been installed as manager, the same concerns would be present. Lampard’s arrival raised the same questions and suggestions of John Terry also haven’t been warmly received.

The only reason the concerns are more prominent with Rooney is because he was part of the previous set up and he hasn’t yet stopped playing. Add to that we are marooned in the bottom three with wins and goals as rare as sightings of me in the gym.

Does it strike you as a situation well suited to a rookie manager, particularly one who has never encountered a relegation battle in his entire career and who is still two courses away from being officially qualified for the job?

Hate how much the football gets to me at times. Proper gets me down. Not much to look forward to in life at the moment but there's always the football. I think that's what makes our current form so tough to take.

Desperately trying to come up with positives. Bird looking good. Wisdom looked good at centre half. Buchanan is going to end up getting sold for a lot of money. That's about it ?

Just now, Jourdan said:

So we’re blaming the international break now? No time on the training ground with the players? Bristol City will have had players on international duty. They also had a COVID outbreak and their training ground was shut for several days this week.

They had an unchanged team. We lost Joz.

1 minute ago, Jourdan said:

Does it strike you as a situation well suited to a rookie manager, particularly one who has never encountered a relegation battle in his entire career and who is still two courses away from being officially qualified for the job?

Oh. I thought Cocu was a better choice, experienced dontcha know.

2 hours ago, Marriott Ram99 said:

I never said that though, I just mentioned the new manager bounce as a possibility, never said massively lifted. I expect it will take a few games to play some decent attack football, but if we don't grind out wins we might need top 6 form to stay up soon and then we will have no chance really. 

Wasn’t really aimed at you , the lifted player s in training was a ref to what our night of the long knives pair in pre match interview ??

1 minute ago, Nuwtfly said:

Desperately trying to come up with positives. Bird looking good. Wisdom looked good at centre half. Buchanan is going to end up getting sold for a lot of money. That's about it ?

Ah come on mate.

We looked a much better bet today against a top 6 side. It was a tough match, we never looked the worse side. We had chances and looked up for it. Can't necessarily change things around in a few days training when lots of players weren't there.

We still look light up front and so it's always gonna be difficult. Just listening to Pep on the radio, apparently Man City have only scored 10 goals so far - you think we've got problems! ? ?

Archived