Abu Derby County

tinman

4 minutes ago, Spanish said:

much depends on when we intend offload Tom, Dwayne and Marriott and whether we are going to spread the hit out over 2 seasons?  I suppose we could have used the stadium sale proceeds to cover this risk but I don't think we can check this?

oh and waggy

• Replies 10.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, NottsRammy said:

Im just putting on somethings thats come up on my mobile phone as a google link thats all . 

I know they have put this statement out but dont you find it odd that Sheik i own 69 camels etc etc hasnt paid that by now ? . 

I will believe our deal when it actually passes through and not until, its taken to long and there are alot of smoke and mirrors in this world and whats the betting its not done by christmas and another excuse comes out . 

The length of time this deal is taking which they have not gone into detail of explaining why, makes me very suspicious still as the statement wasnt very enlightening at all . 

Im getting a niggly feeling our Mel wants out and wants out that desp he will now sell it to anyone no matter what he says in public to save face , im not liking these new owners . Even if they takeover with how this has gone do you really think there will be a CONSTANT golden rainbow of cash available ???  , i dont think their that kind of Sheik. Part of me is havingthis gut feeling that this sheik is going to be like the american lot and not like the man city lot . 

Lets see im crossing my fingers we are all happy . 

First of all, how do you know he has 69 camels, or is it just a slightly racist/xenophobic remark as he's not British?

Secondly, we don't know all the details about that legal bill, but lets use an everyday example to try and add some context. If you opened up a utilities bill and the figure was much more than you were expecting would you just pay it straightaway? Or would you question it, perhaps write a letter to understand why the bill was so high? Dispute that you used that much electricity or gas in that period? Essentially, just because there is an outstanding figure to pay doesn't mean you just stump up and pay it straightaway.

Thirdly, the length it's taken shouldn't be an issue, it hopefully means lots of due diligence and number crunching is being done and we aren't just being bought like when you do a big shop around Asda. The deal will be much more complicating than buying a house and that sort of thing can take ages!

Fourthly, and this isn't just you as a lot of people seem to share your nerves about it all, there's nothing we can really do as fans except go along for the ride. There's so much speculation and that seems to be building anxiety amongst the fanbase. The club has made a statement to try and settle peoples nerves. The club has survived terrible owners before (maxwell, 3 amigos etc.) and we're still here. There are clubs that have risen from the ashes of terrible owners too, so even if the worst case scenario happens the fans will keep DCFC alive and that might be a bright new chapter. But hopefully it will never come to this and this deal will be the best thing that's ever happened to the club. Who knows? As I said (Richard Keogh style there...), there's not much we can do, so let's just wait and see.

? 

26 minutes ago, roboto said:

First of all, how do you know he has 69 camels, or is it just a slightly racist/xenophobic remark as he's not British?

Secondly, we don't know all the details about that legal bill, but lets use an everyday example to try and add some context. If you opened up a utilities bill and the figure was much more than you were expecting would you just pay it straightaway? Or would you question it, perhaps write a letter to understand why the bill was so high? Dispute that you used that much electricity or gas in that period? Essentially, just because there is an outstanding figure to pay doesn't mean you just stump up and pay it straightaway.

Thirdly, the length it's taken shouldn't be an issue, it hopefully means lots of due diligence and number crunching is being done and we aren't just being bought like when you do a big shop around Asda. The deal will be much more complicating than buying a house and that sort of thing can take ages!

Fourthly, and this isn't just you as a lot of people seem to share your nerves about it all, there's nothing we can really do as fans except go along for the ride. There's so much speculation and that seems to be building anxiety amongst the fanbase. The club has made a statement to try and settle peoples nerves. The club has survived terrible owners before (maxwell, 3 amigos etc.) and we're still here. There are clubs that have risen from the ashes of terrible owners too, so even if the worst case scenario happens the fans will keep DCFC alive and that might be a bright new chapter. But hopefully it will never come to this and this deal will be the best thing that's ever happened to the club. Who knows? As I said (Richard Keogh style there...), there's not much we can do, so let's just wait and see.

? 

The next time someone accuses me of being a tea drinker, purely because I am English, can I smack them in the mouth and call them racist.

Donald Trump GIF by The Daily Show with Trevor Noah

shopping camel GIF

21 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

The next time someone accuses me of being a tea drinker, purely because I am English, can I smack them in the mouth and call them racist.

shopping camel GIF

i resent being called English, just because i like a cup of Yunnan from time to time, okay often.

It's a tricky world eh, stereotype anyone and one is accused of racism, even if as in this instance, the recipient is white as an Arab.

57 minutes ago, roboto said:

? 

I was thinking the same, there's any number of reasons it's not been paid, probably depending on the contract conditions the work was undertaken under. Most likely it's some sort of wording one side says "the deal didn't go through so this payment doesn't go through" whilst the other is saying "the work was done and should be paid for" and without seeing the contract arrangements we don't know which interpretation is actually correct.

I certainly know of one instance the company I work for had a legal fight to get paid by a client lots of extras demanded without clear purchase instructions etc - shouldn't have been that way but sometimes clients are not ideal to work with (but all above my pay grade)

34 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

shopping camel GIF

I mean, this isn't the thread for a racism debate, but I'm sure somewhere in the 235 pages we've been through a couple of racist remarks.

No one called anyone a tea drinker until you came up with it. We know not all English people like drinking tea. Why do we assume all Arab men own camels? I mean, he may do, but his name isn't "Sheik i own 69 camels etc etc" which is what the quote I replied to said. I think we can safely assume it was meant in good humour but if we ignore the negative and xenophobic connotations of such a phrase then we aren't learning anything as a society.

Again, I don't wish to turn this thread into a racism debate, but if we can try and understand other cultures and show some respect to people of which we don't know much about then that helps. After all, if he does buy the club and he turns into the next Man City then I'm sure some might feel a bit embarrassed to have been so rude in the first place.

6 hours ago, mwram1973 said:

If he believes he's not responsible for the 500k fee then of course he's not going to pay it

someone said the lawyers were in fact Ashley's lawyers. So Ashley has said - I'll open the books and you can do your diligence to get a bid together, but you'll have to pay my lawyers' costs for helping you.

If Sheikh then falls out with Ashley (and most people do),  it's no wonder there's a dispute when the lawyers send Sheikh a bill

1 hour ago, kevinhectoring said:

someone said the lawyers were in fact Ashley's lawyers. So Ashley has said - I'll open the books and you can do your diligence to get a bid together, but you'll have to pay my lawyers' costs for helping you.

If Sheikh then falls out with Ashley (and most people do),  it's no wonder there's a dispute when the lawyers send Sheikh a bill

The Sheik's company was being sued for breach of contract by Pinsent Masons, contract law is quite specific and "can't be arsed to pay" is not covered under contract law, furthermore the Sheik's company has evidently already lost the case with the high court issuing a judgement against that company in September, 

I understand your comments about Ashley, but when he tried to buy Liverpool back in August 2019, the Liverpool ECHO reported that the proposal from from Sheik Khaled didn't get past the vetting stage with New York-based boutique investment bank Allen & Company.

It was judged the offer was neither credible nor worthwhile to be put forward to major shareholders John W Henry and Mike Gordon.

I would implore Mel not to sell the club at this point in time.

1 hour ago, roboto said:

I mean, this isn't the thread for a racism debate, but I'm sure somewhere in the 235 pages we've been through a couple of racist remarks.

No one called anyone a tea drinker until you came up with it. We know not all English people like drinking tea. Why do we assume all Arab men own camels? I mean, he may do, but his name isn't "Sheik i own 69 camels etc etc" which is what the quote I replied to said. I think we can safely assume it was meant in good humour but if we ignore the negative and xenophobic connotations of such a phrase then we aren't learning anything as a society.

Again, I don't wish to turn this thread into a racism debate, but if we can try and understand other cultures and show some respect to people of which we don't know much about then that helps. After all, if he does buy the club and he turns into the next Man City then I'm sure some might feel a bit embarrassed to have been so rude in the first place.

I love tea, never seen a camel in the flesh.

3 hours ago, roboto said:

To my mind that is projecting a form of bias and subtle racism (taking offence on others behalf as if some need more protection than others). Noted this when the nationality at the butt of the joke is non-white; taking the Michael out of Ze Germans or the Frenchies or the Welsh, well that is fine. Hushed silence at the Islington dinner party when a similar stereotyped joke is made of a non-white nationality. Why? Are other cultures less able to take a joke? That could be implied and it would be racist. Fortunately 99% of the world is non-woke IMO and take jokes in good spirits, that is what I have found, particularly as you leave the U.K. Society's insufferables nowadays are outraged white people who want to find offence where none is intended. This can actually harm race relations IMV.

SillyBilly (apt)... how do you know I don't take offence from the other stereotypes you mention? Is it because you aren't offended because they're all white so it's alright? For the record, it should the Germans, the French or the Welsh. Each of these countries is also multi-cultural and I wouldn't class a country by race these days.

I haven't been to an Islington dinner party since I moved out of the area about 10 years ago. I say dinner party, it was more of booze-fuelled house party, but potatoes, potatoes. How did you know about that? ? 

Jokes are funny, but stereotyping as a comedy vehicle is a thing of the past. A bit like Jethro and Jim Davidson. My dad's a fan of that sort of humour, but I still love him. He also comes out with all manner of crazy terms to describe people that is utterly offensive and he doesn't know it or appreciate it.

I don't think I'm classed as "woke", I'm unsure. I feel like you want to label me that way. I grew up in a predominantly white area and went to a predominantly white school but since leaving for university found that there's a larger world out there and some of the things I might've said or done in the past may have been funny to me at the time but can easily not be funny to those that are the butt of the "joke". It's safe to assume that from your response you are probably white and find it hard to understand why you can't say certain words. That's ok, I'm not going to judge anyone for that.  I am currently having to learn how to deal with everyday racism, being the father of 2 mixed race children who come home from school and don't understand the names they've been called during the day or why other children pick on them for being slightly different looking to them. I didn't have any of this as a youngster growing up, I was lucky. Has that "woke" me up?

You say you've lived outside of the UK, so I hope you understand what it might be like being the minority.

Did you have anything to add about the proposed takeover? I mentioned I didn't want to derail this thread into an off-topic debate, but felt the need to respond to your comment before it went further.

1 hour ago, Asheville Ram said:

The Sheik's company was being sued for breach of contract by Pinsent Masons, contract law is quite specific and "can't be arsed to pay" is not covered under contract law, furthermore the Sheik's company has evidently already lost the case with the high court issuing a judgement against that company in September, 

I understand your comments about Ashley, but when he tried to buy Liverpool back in August 2019, the Liverpool ECHO reported that the proposal from from Sheik Khaled didn't get past the vetting stage with New York-based boutique investment bank Allen & Company.

It was judged the offer was neither credible nor worthwhile to be put forward to major shareholders John W Henry and Mike Gordon.

I would implore Mel not to sell the club at this point in time.

Did you look at the detail of the case and why they refused to pay ? Do you have information around why the offer was deemed insufficient ? The offer for Derby has by all accounts been accepted by Mel, it seems that he feels it's worthwhile.

Just wondering what additional  information you have to implore Mel not to sell ?

Archived