Abu Derby County

tinman

• Replies 10.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seriously? Are people talking like Mel has lost most of his fortune supporting Derby and now wants out before it is all gone?

He was worth 500 Million when he bought Derby, He is currently worth 515 Million (Sunday Times Rich List 2020)

Whatever he has put into our Club is amazing, and should be applauded. Surely any of us in the same position would have done the same

But to think he is now 'destitute' for having poured millions into the club he loves is seriously wide of the mark.

No, DCFC does not increase his fortune, but his other enterprises do, he is still a chuffing rich man

5 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

But we’re back to the same argument. Maybe he has decided that he’s now spent enough on this hobby. Doesn’t mean he’s run out of money.

Totally different kettle of fish to be turning up at the matches and having a few drinks in your nice box and occasionally making a few away days...compared with emptying a few million quid out of your bank account every month whilst still getting grief about being mean off total strangers who spend a few hundred quid annually, hiring and firing staff whilst getting criticised on Twitter for your choices and spending all your time going to court over complicated financial issues where your advisers seem to be leading you a little astray... 

I know which option I would choose if I were rich. One is a hobby the other seems a thankless task! 

14 hours ago, Chester40 said:

Totally different kettle of fish to be turning up at the matches and having a few drinks in your nice box and occasionally making a few away days...compared with emptying a few million quid out of your bank account every month whilst still getting grief about being mean off total strangers who spend a few hundred quid annually, hiring and firing staff whilst getting criticised on Twitter for your choices and spending all your time going to court over complicated financial issues where your advisers seem to be leading you a little astray... 

I know which option I would choose if I were rich. One is a hobby the other seems a thankless task! 

Mr Morris seems an intelligent and knowledgeable person. He would have been well aware of the situation he was potentially getting into. History is littered with stories of football ownerships turning sour, for various reasons. Derby's owner is also tech savvy, so it's doubtful he would be surprised by the good, bad and ugly outpourings via social media. Also the benefits of a significantly raised media profile gained through owning a big club are not inconsiderate. One of the emotions that drives successful people is the desire to be recognised and acknowledged. Fame is a trojan horse that you have to carefully handle because right in the middle of what appears to be a beautiful gift, infamy can emerge.

On 17/12/2020 at 22:46, ScamRam said:

Seriously? Are people talking like Mel has lost most of his fortune supporting Derby and now wants out before it is all gone?

He was worth 500 Million when he bought Derby, He is currently worth 515 Million (Sunday Times Rich List 2020)

Whatever he has put into our Club is amazing, and should be applauded. Surely any of us in the same position would have done the same

But to think he is now 'destitute' for having poured millions into the club he loves is seriously wide of the mark.

No, DCFC does not increase his fortune, but his other enterprises do, he is still a chuffing rich man

If he values everything like he does pride park he might not be?

£550 mill, I think. May all be tied up in various enterprises, so unavailable.

1 hour ago, kevinhectoring said:

well that holding statement sure put the brakes on this thread     

I think the story from John Percy yesterday all but confirms it's done and dusted.

I'm hoping we wake up Christmas day to an offical announcement by the club stating that we are billionaires about to buy the league along with a picture of Steve Gibson and "Do they know its Christmas time" playing over the top.

23 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

I think the story from John Percy yesterday all but confirms it's done and dusted.

I'm hoping we wake up Christmas day to an offical announcement by the club stating that we are billionaires about to buy the league along with a picture of Steve Gibson and "Do they know its Christmas time" playing over the top.

After which they can play American ('Boro Idiot) by Green Day 

12 hours ago, kevinhectoring said:

well that holding statement sure put the brakes on this thread     

Right enough... Its why I kept asking why don't they just do exactly that. 

If expectations are that it will be a few days but weeks later there is a deafening silence, its inevitable fans will get restless. 

I have never really thought relegation was a serious proposition and the play offs are a distant dream now.

Fair enough, Rooney has steadied the ship so a lot of the urgency feels like it has slipped away too. 

11 hours ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Although the EFL might add a Satan Clause

Dont take any notice of the Rich List it is garbage. Had a client who gave all his money away years ago as has no family and still on there!

Archived