Harry Wilson

ViewsFromTheMiddle

• 7 months later...

Serious question, everyone seems to be reporting that a deal is in place for Harry Wilson for £12 million. However they are also reporting that they won't pay the first instalment until 2022 in order to circumvent FFP restrictions.

Will the EFL look at this with as much scrutiny as they did with us in the end. I doubt it, but surely anything that is done to 'get around' the FFP restrictions is against the spirit of the FFP rules?

9 hours ago, DJAY said:

Serious question, everyone seems to be reporting that a deal is in place for Harry Wilson for £12 million. However they are also reporting that they won't pay the first instalment until 2022 in order to circumvent FFP restrictions.

Will the EFL look at this with as much scrutiny as they did with us in the end. I doubt it, but surely anything that is done to 'get around' the FFP restrictions is against the spirit of the FFP rules?

Can only assume it'll be structured like a 'loan to buy'. But yeah it makes a mockery of the EFL P&S poo, but then clubs with money don't care.

14 hours ago, DJAY said:

So they could have sold him before they pay a penny for him? 

19 hours ago, DJAY said:

If the delayed payment is part of the deal, then is it against any rules?

Failing to pay on time as we seemingly did, is. 

I suspect delayed payments will be the new norm, as the EFL close more loopholes clubs will find new creative ways to sign players.

Clubs won’t accept not being able to spend money to go up.

2 hours ago, David said:

I suspect delayed payments will be the new norm, as the EFL close more loopholes clubs will find new creative ways to sign players.

Clubs won’t accept not being able to spend money to go up.

Not many clubs would agree to it. As we know, cash is king, Liverpool must've been thrilled at the £12m fee to accept not having a single penny in the first 12 months of the deal. 

I'd imagine there is only the 'big 6' that could even dream about accepting such a deal. I can't see this catching on, certainly not for sides outside that big 6. 

1 minute ago, Ambitious said:

Not many clubs would agree to it. As we know, cash is king, Liverpool must've been thrilled at the £12m fee to accept not having a single penny in the first 12 months of the deal. 

I'd imagine there is only the 'big 6' that could even dream about accepting such a deal. I can't see this catching on, certainly not for sides outside that big 6. 

Maybe, Premier League clubs are fairly wealthy though, if delayed payment allows them to shift a player that wouldn’t make the squad, for a decent fee, can see more warming to the idea. Only the established clubs that have spent a number of seasons up there.

It’s only next year as well, not a long wait 

On 26/07/2021 at 15:33, cheron85 said:

Good move for Wilson, great signing for Fulham

A club in our league being able to spend £12m on a single player in the current climate shows (to me anyway) how much of a joke the parachute payments from the PL are 

I looked yesterday and only £18.4m had been spent across the Championship, Wilson accounting for £12m of that 

1 hour ago, David said:

I looked yesterday and only £18.4m had been spent across the Championship, Wilson accounting for £12m of that 

Yeah I looked the other day too and it was quite re-assuring to see not much going on elsewhere either. There was only really QPR & Birmingham that I thought looked like they had improved.

2 minutes ago, Carnero said:

Yeah I looked the other day too and it was quite re-assuring to see not much going on elsewhere either. There was only really QPR & Birmingham that I thought looked like they had improved.

Here was the tweet. Included figures from previous seasons, still time yet but I would be very surprised if we even hit last summers overall summer total

46 minutes ago, David said:

I had a feeling you might respond on this one - I think parachute payments are as much a bug bear of yours as they are mine

The gulf in spending between the Premier League and the Championship is already a joke - But if there's also a huge gulf between relegated teams and everyone else it's even worse

5 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

I had a feeling you might respond on this one - I think parachute payments are as much a bug bear of yours as they are mine

The gulf in spending between the Premier League and the Championship is already a joke - But if there's also a huge gulf between relegated teams and everyone else it's even worse

It’s not so much the parachute payments that I dislike, it’s more the fact the EFL cannot see they are not being used as intended and anti competitive.

Clubs with any ambition to go up are spending millions just to compete, sure it’s not impossible to do without, but the odds are in your favour more if you do.

We did, and look at the mess we’re in now. 

The days of 5 year projects to slowly build a team to go up are gone, players will get snapped up long before promotion through their own ambition and need to bring money in as the Championship is a loss making business to be in.

We simply can’t compete with Fulham this season, even if Mel was sat on a billion with an open wallet. 

Embargo wouldn’t allow us, the embargo which was triggered by simply trying to compete with the teams at the top, we have no chance of competing now with as they won’t even let us sign even freebies.

It’s a joke.