Harry Wilson

ViewsFromTheMiddle

17 minutes ago, David said:

It’s not so much the parachute payments that I dislike, it’s more the fact the EFL cannot see they are not being used as intended and anti competitive.

Clubs with any ambition to go up are spending millions just to compete, sure it’s not impossible to do without, but the odds are in your favour more if you do.

We did, and look at the mess we’re in now. 

The days of 5 year projects to slowly build a team to go up are gone, players will get snapped up long before promotion through their own ambition and need to bring money in as the Championship is a loss making business to be in.

We simply can’t compete with Fulham this season, even if Mel was sat on a billion with an open wallet. 

Embargo wouldn’t allow us, the embargo which was triggered by simply trying to compete with the teams at the top, we have no chance of competing now with as they won’t even let us sign even freebies.

It’s a joke.

Yeh agreed - I should have been more specific and said the size of the parachute payments are the problem

Equally, I don't understand how teams are given leniency to NOT sell their players? I understand that some teams are going to buy expensive flops and give away huge wages - But why is there no pressure on teams to build relegation wage change clauses into contracts? Or sell off their most valuable players on relegation? West Brom have been able to keep (pretty much) their entire squad together at both recent relegations 

26 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

Yeh agreed - I should have been more specific and said the size of the parachute payments are the problem

Equally, I don't understand how teams are given leniency to NOT sell their players? I understand that some teams are going to buy expensive flops and give away huge wages - But why is there no pressure on teams to build relegation wage change clauses into contracts? Or sell off their most valuable players on relegation? West Brom have been able to keep (pretty much) their entire squad together at both recent relegations 

We could grab 10 people from this forum and work out a better system in 7 days, I’m sure of it. Unfortunately the EFL are too interested looking to screw their member clubs over that fall foul of their dumb rules.

The thing with parachute payments is that I can see why they were introduced. While the gap in TV money remains between the Premier League and the Championship, the wealth gap will surely widen between the two divisions, meaning promoted clubs have to spend more to compete. I imagine the principle behind parachute payments is that it's a bit of an insurance policy to allow them to do that.

27 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

The parachute payments should be paid directly by authorities to existing player’s wage. Once that player is sold, it’s then up to the relegated team to replace with players that fit into the wage budget based on current division. 

That is the best post you've written on here. Bang on. 

2 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

The parachute payments should be paid directly by authorities to existing player’s wage. Once that player is sold, it’s then up to the relegated team to replace with players that fit into the wage budget based on current division. 

What if a team is relegated with a wage bill exceeding the parachute payments?

£42.6m was given out to each club in the first season in the Championship in 19/20 - Stoke, Norwich, West Brom, and Villa all exceeded that figure

image.thumb.png.e2a17ef1478be369075b9a7efff7d9ea.png

If wages are covered by parachute payments, then there will be no incentive for the club to sell the player - they'd then have to fork out their own cash to pay a new signing.

Edited by Ghost of Clough

10 hours ago, cheron85 said:

I had a feeling you might respond on this one - I think parachute payments are as much a bug bear of yours as they are mine

The gulf in spending between the Premier League and the Championship is already a joke - But if there's also a huge gulf between relegated teams and everyone else it's even worse

When they're in the premier league they also have more opportunity to sign up talented players from Europe. We lowly EFL clubs can't really do that now after Brexit, so it just gives them even more of an advantage. Everything that gets implemented these days just seems to be primarily designed to widen the gap.

5 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

Just make relegation clauses mandatory. Then you don't even need parachute payments.

12 hours ago, GenBr said:

When they're in the premier league they also have more opportunity to sign up talented players from Europe. We lowly EFL clubs can't really do that now after Brexit, so it just gives them even more of an advantage. Everything that gets implemented these days just seems to be primarily designed to widen the gap.

Just make relegation clauses mandatory. Then you don't even need parachute payments.

Which would mean some players wouldn't risk joining newly promoted clubs - a scenario the PL wants to avoid

2 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Which would mean some players wouldn't risk joining newly promoted clubs - a scenario the PL wants to avoid

Why would it? You still get high wages for joining and then its up to the player to keep the team up to carry on getting said high wages. Any player who doesnt want to join because of a relegation clause isn't a player worth having anyway. 

Either way it doesn't matter what the PL wants if they are instructed to do it by the government. 

The PL give £350m to the EFL each season. Roughly £250m goes to 7/8 clubs in the form of parachute payments each season. £100m goes to the remaining 64/65 clubs.

My proposal would be to redistribute that more evenly, let's say £250m to Championship clubs, £75m to L1 and £25m to L2 (currently £325m, £17m, £11m)

Sliding scale based on performance (league position) over the season
- Championship clubs get between £8.4m and £13m
- L1 clubs get £2.3m to £3.9m
- L2 clubs get £0.85m to £1.3m

Only 7 of the 72 EFL clubs would be worse off, with the others in a much healthier position. perhaps enough for a shift towards clubs making a profit. P&S rules should be altered so that the £13m average allowable loss become £0 over time.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Not much talk of Harry Wilson on here. He's playing fantastically well at Fulham in a very good team, of course.

Always liked him here and it makes me feel sad that players like this are now so far away from us it's like wishing for the moon on a stick! 

Anyway, always gave his all for us and I am pleased for him.

6 minutes ago, angieram said:

Not much talk of Harry Wilson on here. He's playing fantastically well at Fulham in a very good team, of course.

Always liked him here and it makes me feel sad that players like this are now so far away from us it's like wishing for the moon on a stick! 

Hopefully he has a strain for when we play them 

1 hour ago, Sparkle said:

Hopefully he has a strain for when we play them 

I think Harry Wilson is going to be the least of our problems when we play Fulham ?. He's going to have to do a Wayne Rooney for us and take the rest of their best players with him if he does get injured.

• 2 months later...
On 29/08/2021 at 10:16, angieram said:

I think he gave his all for us tonight, too.

16 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

Makes me laugh when players like Harry don't take free kicks from that position. Have Fulham got better strikers of a dead ball than him?

Perhaps Gibson will issue a demand for several million pounds from Fulham for not insisting Wilson took the free kick, on the basis he would definitely have scored, we'd have lost, become demoralised, and given up all hope.

Seems logical.

17 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

Makes me laugh when players like Harry don't take free kicks from that position. Have Fulham got better strikers of a dead ball than him?

Maybe he didn’t want to score against Derby county knowing that fulham will get automatic promotion anyway