Mac 3

Chris_Martin

51 minutes ago, Abu Dhabi Ram said:

Mac 3... clearly some of our fans know nothing. I guarantee if he came in now we would not just click like last time because the foundations are not there. Clough  took years to build that that team and it irritates me that Mac gets so much credit for it. Yes he did a great job tinkering with tactics, spotting what Clough perhaps didn’t, but the bottom line is that it was not his team. 

We also picked up dramatically when he replaced Pearson...

1 hour ago, Red Ram said:

No no no. Good coach. Can't manage. Permanent signings were poor. Only succeeded temporarily 'cos he inherited Clough's signings. We'd have a good half a season then implode again. And he snatched defeat from the jaws of victory with the Newcastle job debacle. Still can't believe we had him back after that.

Only succeeded temporarily because of Clough's signings? So how did he take Nigel Pearson's Derby to near the play offs? Did Ranieri only win the league because of Pearson? Maybe they were only good signings by Nigel because Mac jumped them up half the league?

His first season we got club record points. His second season we made a mess off after injuries. His third time he took over from Pearson. So you have based it on one season where we lost Martin, Bent, Thorne, Eustace, Mascarell and had to play Forsyth at CB v Brentford. 

Can you name his poor signings, please? Most were free or youth players. He only really laid out for Thorne. 

I mean, I'm not calling for him back but I'm sticking up for what he did because it was fun as duck

1 hour ago, Abu Dhabi Ram said:

Mac 3... clearly some of our fans know nothing. I guarantee if he came in now we would not just click like last time because the foundations are not there. Clough  took years to build that that team and it irritates me that Mac gets so much credit for it. Yes he did a great job tinkering with tactics, spotting what Clough perhaps didn’t, but the bottom line is that it was not his team. 

He lifted the Pearson team half the league too.

1 hour ago, Abu Dhabi Ram said:

Clough did fabulous in stabilising but don’t kid yourself we had stagnated It under Clough because of his negative play (sound familiar?). 

1 minute ago, 1967Ram said:

It's not going to happen but his win rate when he was in charge is very impressive.

It was but wassells was almost as impressive as a rookie manager I think......the only reason I highlight that is that wassells a more realistic and acceptable  proposition in Mel's eyes I would imagine

23 minutes ago, Alpha said:

He lifted the Pearson team half the league too.

A team which still had Keogh, Hughes, Bryson, Russell, Ince & Bent as players he'd worked to varying degrees of success with before.

I suppose you could say Hallelujah, at least he had some success to fall back on!

It was a pretty decent squad still, but massively underperforming.

There's no doubt that he got the maximum out of the players he was left with, at least for around three months; It wasn't the greatest football ever, still reliant heavily on McClaren's special ability to make Ince look like a worldbeater, but it wasn't sustainable and if he'd lasted the whole season there's every chance we'd have finished back down in 10th-14th given the run he went on once we'd failed to bring Martin back from Fulham.

What he'd have done the following season with Martin back and a fresh start over the summer, well who knows.

Edited by Coconut

The fact is if this was 2-3 years ago Phil would be gone. It's a shame the club didn't try this long term plan when Mac was in charge. Problem is C.Martin was a such an important part of Mac's team and he's gone. Mac's biggest struggles at Derby came when Martin wasn't here. Also Paul Simpsons gone as well (at BCFC ... just realised Simpson's probably the reason why Bristol City signed Martin?

19 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Look around the Championship, don't you feel that now too?

Slightly, but (in the context of this thread) no manager is coming in with a history of success working with these players to sudenly turn them around.

For the most part it's performing how I'd expect it to perform when our you remove 30+ goals from last season's squad, our only senior / experienced striker is Marriott, we have such a pedestrian central midfield & our team is full of inconsistent teenagers learning the game.

The defence though, and defending as a team, that's a shocker and someone else would probably fix that very quickly. Whether they'd do so without telling our entire team to camp in our own box and play exclusively on the counter though... maybe not.

10th last season was exactly on par with expectation.

Edited by Coconut