Mac 3

Chris_Martin

2 hours ago, Chris_Martin said:

Seriously, He would do so much better with these players.

At the very least he would show some passion.

I like turtles

37 minutes ago, Coconut said:

A team which still had Keogh, Hughes, Bryson, Russell, Ince & Bent as players he'd worked to varying degrees of success with before.

I suppose you could say Hallelujah, at least he had some success to fall back on!

It was a pretty decent squad still, but massively underperforming.

There's no doubt that he got the maximum out of the players he was left with, at least for around three months; It wasn't the greatest football ever, still reliant heavily on McClaren's special ability to make Ince look like a worldbeater, but it wasn't sustainable and if he'd lasted the whole season there's every chance we'd have finished back down in 10th-14th given the run he went on once we'd failed to bring Martin back from Fulham.

What he'd have done the following season with Martin back and a fresh start over the summer, well who knows.

I agree with all that. Mac wasn't perfect but I can't really get my head around any heavy criticism of him. 

He did what he did. He took a team that had scored 3 goals or something by the end of September to winning like 8 out of 10 games. And he did that by taking the reigns off Nigel Pearson who ironically was the choice of all Mac haters between 13/14 and 14/15. 

We definitely dropped off unfortunately.

I can't see Mel ringing Mac and even if he would I can't see Mac answering. 

The monument of poo Cocu has inherited has come from people always thinking the grass is greener. Us, Rowett, Lampard... all bed hopping. I'm not sure how in this situation talking about an ex can help. 

What people really want is a time machine. But bringing Mac back won't bring Bryson and Hughes back. It won't make Martin 26. 

We had our time to shine and we didn't. Since then has been a series of setbacks and self inflicted wounds. 

I'm very much into the looking forward than back. Whether Cocu is right or not is fair debate but what's done is done and that should include Mac, Pearson, Rowett, Lampard and Clement. They were all part of our journey to destination poo. I would say Mac tried to steer us in the right direction but we ignored him and there's no use asking him to take the wheel because we'e Andre Wisdom'd this whip. 

Love Mac 1 and 2 but still wouldn't consider Mac 3. Like crawling back to an ex every time you need a bed

15 minutes ago, Alpha said:

He did what he did. He took a team that had scored 3 goals or something by the end of September to winning like 8 out of 10 games.

It was actually 14 in the leagueand a further 7 in the cup. We had picked up some good results away but the home form had been poor, although 2 of the three defeats were to teams that went up that year.

18 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

I bet you he does as well at 31!

You are doing well at bringing him into all threads tonight.  But it is sign as to what was to come so far this season. Read tweets from Bristol fans last weekend who just loved him already and cant believe their luck. You should never strengthen an opponent and thats just what we did. I would like to know why he really didnt re-sign with us. Something isnt right generally - hate it when people say that on here but I really do think it at the moment. Cocu's demeanor, Rooney's, seeming lack of effort on pitch, etc

I'd consider bringing Mac back in a Director of Football role. He has Derby running through his veins, has experience of Dutch football (so may understand some of the difficulties Cocu seems to be having adjusting to English football) and, if Cocu is willing to let him put his tracksuit on, is an excellent coach. As long as Cocu knows he's still in charge and that a new DoF isn't there to undermine him, only to help/advise him, I'd be happy to give it a go. We don't want to tear up the positive aspects of Cocu's time here so far (greater emphasis on youth, more promising scouting/recruitment), but things clearly need to be better on the pitch. Plus the DoF role isn't as unusual in European football as it is here, so Cocu may not feel as threatened by it as perhaps an English manager would. Worth a thought, because yesterday was worrying, and I've been supportive of Cocu so far ?‍♂️

• 2 years later...