Bobby Duncan - Signed 3 year deal

BulloRams

• Replies 508
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, Jourdan said:

I suspect that we are signing Duncan as a long term replacement for Marriott.

I doubt we can afford to renew both Waghorn and Marriott’s deals when they expire, so it would make sense to prepare for that eventuality with a young player (on cheaper wages) ready to step up and grab their chance.

In the meantime, he’ll probably be playing in the under 23s and competing with Whittaker and Hector Ingram for a place on the bench.

Didn't he leave both Liverpool and soon to be Fiorentina, because of a lack of first team opportunities? I don't think he will be happy playing for the U23's, but we'll see.

3 minutes ago, GenBr said:

Didn't he leave both Liverpool and soon to be Fiorentina, because of a lack of first team opportunities? I don't think he will be happy playing for the U23's, but we'll see.

Think it's been mentioned a few times that he's a young lad with a very high potential and has had quite a few agents trying to make their money out of him. I hope those days are behind him now and he has matured a bit through recent experiences.

I'd also say that getting into the Derby first team at his age is more attainable than the Liverpool or Fiorentina first team. I expect him to be training with the senior squad and given his opportunity when ready. It's up to him to take that opportunity.

4 minutes ago, GenBr said:

I am sure you’re right.

But from the club’s perspective, would you give him a spot ahead of Whittaker and Hector Ingram and risk upsetting the mood in the dressing room?

Has he done enough at youth level to instantly be ahead of our own prospects Whittaker and Hector Ingram? I am not too sure.

1 minute ago, Jourdan said:

I am sure you’re right.

But from the club’s perspective, would you give him a spot ahead of Whittaker and Hector Ingram and risk upsetting the mood in the dressing room?

Has he done enough at youth level to instantly be ahead of our own prospects Whittaker and Hector Ingram? I am not too sure.

Doesn't even play the same position as Whittaker. And Hector-Ingram is 22, it's now or never.

1 minute ago, GenBr said:

My take on it, based purely on internet articles I've read and baring in mind I'd not heard of the lad until last week.

He was highly rated at Liverpool and was being touted as the next big thing, his agent engineered a money spinning move to Fiorentina (money spinning for whom?). Fiorentina clearly purchased him for the u19s but Duncan thought he was going to be playing first team football off the bat.

My guess is that the agent was doing everything to make the move go through, even promising Duncan things that Fiorentina werent offering and clearly weren't going to happen. 

Duncan signed and quickly realised he wasnt playing first team football anytime soon, kicked off, quickly found out his agent had been spinning yarns and sacked his agent off.

When he realised he wasnt getting into the first team at Fiorentina any time soon he probably thought what was the point being abroad in an u19s team and being forgotten about and has done all he can to get back to England to get his career back on track.

I actually dont blame him if all of this has any element of truth.

14 minutes ago, GenBr said:

I imagine he will get up to fitness in the u23s then move onto our bench and take it from there 

1 minute ago, Srg said:

Doesn't even play the same position as Whittaker. And Hector-Ingram is 22, it's now or never.

Maybe not strictly speaking, but Whittaker is still a forward player.

If you look at it, we have seven places on the bench.

If Duncan wants to feature in the first team, those are the kind of players he is going to have to displace.

13 minutes ago, Olton Ram said:

Isn't that a good thing though, having healthy competition between players to get onto the bench and progress into the first team? Sounds like a positive to me.

Should be, if pitched correctly by the management. It's encouraging everyone to step up and showing that is they perform and keep performing, then they keep the shirt. Just because someones brought in from outside should not mean an "automatic" start unless it can be explained to the incumbent why they are being dropped and what is expected of them.

7 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Should be, if pitched correctly by the management. It's encouraging everyone to step up and showing that is they perform and keep performing, then they keep the shirt. Just because someones brought in from outside should not mean an "automatic" start unless it can be explained to the incumbent why they are being dropped and what is expected of them.

Exactly this. I'd be surprised if he's coming here on the promise of guaranteed starts, just that if he takes his chances he can keep hold of a shirt. 

I don't agree with the idea that it will upset our youngsters. If anything, the competition should spur them on. 

Some of them might get loan moves to help their development, too.

Archived