Derby vs PNE Match Thread

RadioactiveWaste

Overall, not too dispondent. OK, we lost to a dismal opponent but the sending off & a laughable penalty had a massive bearing on that.

First half we were poor, far too deep & the ball was not staying with Rooney, Sibley or Whittaker at all. Evans & Shinnie offered little & frankly it just seemed an endless stream of intense Preston pressing & atrocious free kicks. 

Second half was better but Preston's pressing wasnt as intense...probably due to the heat. Thought Knight & Shinnie had very good second halves. Knight's energy was impressive, he won us plenty of free kicks by being able to shield the ball (in a way no other attacking outlet seemed capable) & grabbed the goal. Also a word for Roos, who was excellent again.

Didnt feel Preston were ever going to break us down but fair play to Barkhuizen for that finish. The penalty was a joke but this same clown reffed Luton away & was equally atrocious then too. He did get the red card right though. Im guessing Te Wierik didnt have that many long hopeful punts to deal with in Dutch football..its probably time he learnt how to.

Fair to say the side will be looking very different in a couple of weeks so not reading too much into the performance or result. Onwards & upwards.

• Replies 639
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, rammieib said:

How was it not a red card? Last man, wrong side, as clear as they come. Take the rose tinted specs off.

I dont think it was as clear as they come.

Think the ref needs to consider 2 things:-

1 - Was the player actually trying to get the ball, or just playing for the sending off?

2 - Is the player going to reach the ball?

Not sure you could answer either with any great conviction.

12 minutes ago, GenBr said:

He wouldn't have to be that old to have seen it happen. Haven't seen it myself since the last time it happened was in 1991 about 8 days before i was born.

Completely different ball game now though - the gap is gigantic. Only teams that find a way round ffp are ever really going to stand a chance these days.

4th Division Bradford City reached the league cup final a few years ago.I repeat...4th division!

16 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

I dont think it was as clear as they come.

Think the ref needs to consider 2 things:-

1 - Was the player actually trying to get the ball, or just playing for the sending off?

2 - Is the player going to reach the ball?

Not sure you could answer either with any great conviction.

He was going for the ball and yet preston player made total meal of it. He should been booked for play acting. And there should been sent nasty tackles on knight oh no ref does sodd all.

31 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

You are very patient and I would love to be as unconcerned as you.

We have to wait until we get the new guys in but we have cut Cocu an awful lot of slack for a very long time for very little reward.

It's got to come good as we just haven't seen an upward swing in performance barring the period pre when we were a batch of the poorest teams in the division.

Ive been advocate of Cocu and his Dutch ways but nevertheless,I'm worried that it's all not going to go anywhere despite his good intentions.

Desperately hope it all comes good with the new additions.

I understand the lack of progression is concerning but with the circumstances surrounding the club I think still it's a bit early to be feeling like that. Think back to the Lampard season, our attacking play consisted of either a Wilson worldie or Mount bossing the midfield. That period when Mount was missing for a month or so we were absolutely dreadful, we couldn't string a set of passes together in the other teams half. Lampard, Wilson and Mount all inevitably left that summer and since then the only forward players we've signed are Dowell (awful) and Paterson (didn't want to be here). Rooney added a spark last year from a deeper role and the academy lads have been brilliant since coming through but we've essentially been relying on a frontline that we've already seen under Lampard wasn't good enough to consistently create or score. To compound matters even further we've started this season without our 3 most productive attackers in Lawrence, Holmes and Waghorn. We're currently relying on academy lads who are covered by even more academy players, it's no wonder our attack looks so toothless at the moment.

I think finishing top half last season was a seriously impressive achievement, especially considering the amount of crap Cocu has had to put up with. Two lacklustre performances when we're missing pretty much every senior attacker we have won't change my belief that Cocu is the right man for the job. I firmly believe that once he brings in the attackers he wants and the team has a bit of time to gel together, we'll be one of the best teams in the division.

34 minutes ago, GenBr said:

He wouldn't have to be that old to have seen it happen. Haven't seen it myself since the last time it happened was in 1991 about 8 days before i was born.

Completely different ball game now though - the gap is gigantic. Only teams that find a way round ffp are ever really going to stand a chance these days.

Was it a different ball game when Leicester won the Premier League?

Of course, we all know it's highly unlikely but if there's one thing any sport should teach us, is that there are always upsets.

8 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

That was made even more incredible because there wasn't a 4th division then.

Sadly, they were in the 2nd, but still an amazing achievement, I agree.

So still in the fourth tier (i.e. division).

All this Premier League, Championship crap does my head-in, whats wrong with L1, L2, L3 & L4? It's all brought about by overblown "marketing" people getting paid a fortune for doing not very much and blowing smoke up each others backsides.

3 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

We made three changes and also had a number of key players unavailable. 

Do people actually think we played our best 11 today? 

We haven't got a best 11. 

I'm better than most of them and I'm blind and only have 1 leg.  If this lot are footballers then I'm kylie minogues dead dog dad. 

Toss

This Referee has previous with us, he was the ******** that refereed the Luton Town match last season, we all know how ??? he was in that match. 
I fear this guy clearly isn’t fit to referee my lads under 8’s matches let alone Professional standard football. 
He’s one in a line of many piss poor excuses we seem to endure. 
That was never a penalty and I believe the Red Card whilst feasible was also a little harsh on MT. All I can say is congratulations referee you succeeded in doing us over again..... rick!!?????

17 minutes ago, ossieram said:

Can anyone explain to me why the ref gave a penalty? I've been at work all night and have just seen the video and can't see anybody handle the ball.

Penalty or not, there were many reasons on view why we should look at our own deficiencies for an explanation for our cup exit

Archived