Next 24 hours to define the season?

IslandExile

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Personally if we have a crap season (and it could be pretty bad based on current squad IMO) I don't blame Cocu one bit. No way does he want to sell his best players and bring no-one in. He is always polite and respectful of the current financial constraints on him (not Mourinho undermining), if that is his downfall then that'd be disappointing. And I don't blame Mel either, he had a go and it ain't worked out. It just is what it is unfortunately.

No doubt Cocu has had/does have targets and not his fault if we no longer have the proverbial pot to urinate in. I'd genuinely take anywhere from 12-16th place right now if some decent bodies don't come in. Pretty concerning from a footballing perspective at the moment, reserve final judgement ofc as things can change quickly but on face of it challenging times ahead.

2 hours ago, S8TY said:

So when do you try out different formations then??? No one has said we are going to play 5 at the back all the time but it could be an option as Cocu has alluded too we also have loads of injuries in forward areas and do not yet have a squad to challenge the top until we get at least 3 offensive players ...unusual for you to be so negative lol ....

Logically I would have thought given the less than ideal circumstances in which this season is starting, this would be one pre-season where you don’t tinker too much and don’t try out new formations but work on perfecting existing ideas. You know given the lack of time. 

Surely it would ensure that everyone from Te Wierik all way down to Solomon knows their roles and where they fit in, so the transition from the bench to the XI is a smooth one, especially given the stretched nature of the squad meaning that we will have to call on individuals who are probably not ready for first team football.

Based on pre-season, Mike Te Wierik, for example, probably has no idea if he is playing in a back four, a back three, a back five, at centre back or at right back moving forward.

I don’t think it’s negative to say the signs don’t look good. It’d be wilfully ignoring the obvious at this point. Negative would be saying that we are going down, for example, which I have never suggested.

And like I said, it is all in Cocu’s hands. The injuries and lack of incomings are a blow, but why has the pity party begun before we have even kicked a ball?

Even in the circumstances, you can set up a bunch of youngsters to play positively and with intent.

11 hours ago, Anag Ram said:

You may be right but when you are without a number of top players, I would imagine there’s a strong temptation to make sure you don’t lose.

When we get our signings and our leading players back, you may see the more adventurous football we all crave.

Yes, there’s a strong temptation to do that at the business end of the season, say if you are battling relegation. I can see why you might move away from the norm.

But it’s the first few games of the season, why change tack so drastically?

Surely we want a scenario where we have a system that everyone knows and understands, so it’s easier for young, inexperienced, or inferior players to step in when needed.

I’d rather go down swinging than try to be cute stopping the opposition because actually more worryingly from the evidence, we are more likely to be stopping ourselves.

4 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

Logically I would have thought given the less than ideal circumstances in which this season is starting, this would be one pre-season where you don’t tinker too much and don’t try out new formations but work on perfecting existing ideas. You know given the lack of time. 

Surely it would ensure that everyone from Te Wierik all way down to Solomon knows their roles and where they fit in, so the transition from the bench to the XI is a smooth one, especially given the stretched nature of the squad meaning that we will have to call on individuals who are probably not ready for first team football.

Based on pre-season, Mike Te Wierik, for example, probably has no idea if he is playing in a back four, a back three, a back five, at centre back or at right back moving forward.

I don’t think it’s negative to say the signs don’t look good. It’d be wilfully ignoring the obvious at this point. Negative would be saying that we are going down, for example, which I have never suggested.

And like I said, it is all in Cocu’s hands. The injuries and lack of incomings are a blow, but why has the pity party begun before we have even kicked a ball?

Even in the circumstances, you can set up a bunch of youngsters to play positively and with intent.

Tinkering? he's trying out different things with a very limited attack how can he perfect existing ideas when we have no Waghorn,Lawrence,Rooney, little width and not much depth in the squad?? Things don't look great no but that is mainly due to no attacking threat because we need 3 attack minded players and Waghorn,lawrence,Rooney back....your comment about pity party is getting towards what you really think....making excuses!!  ...Cocu needs players ...that is not pity...that is reality!! what you are alluding too as you did most of last season is that Cocu is not good enough...hence "play positively and with intent" comment...I've told you before with youngsters... get them to keep the ball first and foremost don't give it away cheaply which may mean passing backwards at times and as painful as it maybe appears this is the one of the first phases of making young players from youth teams into first team challengers and very much the dutch way as i saw when i was in Den Haag and is how Barcelona get there academy youngsters to play he can't make a bunch of kids half of which aren't good enough yet into a cohesive team to challenge as most of the younger players who have played so far are not ready  .....he has done amazingly well to make Sibley,Bird,Knight etc feel like first team regulars now.....the same players that looked out of there depth in the Forest game in the cup last season.....no pity mate....just reality....Cocu needs help... a few new players

and I'm sure MTW knows exactly where he's going to play how do you know he doesnt?? and we will need different formations and options...hence trying them out in proper games 

Cocu will probably sound like he’s repeating himself tomorrow at his press conference  “we tried this week to bring in new players we didn’t” Unless something changes dramatically tomorrow he won’t have new faces in by Saturday 

Have faith in Cocu you doom and gloom authors. If he can get Bird and Sibley playing regular from the youth set up, who's to say others could come in this season and improve the squad. Lets say we do get 2 more players in before the window shuts next month. the likes of Buchanan, Hector Ingram, Brown and Whittaker push on and become good reliable squad players that come on the pitch and add to what we have got. Bielik should be back by the end of October, Marriott could have an injury free season and score loads. There is a January window to use if the team needs a tweak. Fans could also be back in the grounds. It could be worse, you could be a Forest supporter who after one season of finishing above the Rams are now not sure when they could do it again.

Barrow set up with a solid formation expecting us to make a mistake while we are passing it round at the back. They had a couple of chances. Any fast hardworking team will score against us leaving us to get two to win. Play is far to slow and predictable for me and dire to watch if we are playing in our own half. New signings and a different style of play in midfield and forward is essential.

12 hours ago, IslandExile said:

If you listen to the interviews, we went with five at the back against Barrow as a 'practice' at performing that way - in a game that did not matter much and that we should have won more easily (on paper). In addition, most of our attacking players are currently injured - so, apart from Whittaker, who did come on, there was no one else.

Again, if you listen to the interviews, Cocu emphasizes that we are short of creativity and forward strength and says quite clearly that we need to bring players in. Within the financial constraints, that's what he's trying to do.

Yes for me, a game like that is ideal for experimentation. It's more than friendly or a training ground match, but not too important if it goes a bit pear shaped and we lose. 

I personally think we’re in for a tougher season than we’ve been accustomed to recently.

The financial constraints & blooding of youngsters to me resembles version 2 of the Nigel Clough years. 

I don’t expect a play off push (I’d love to be wrong), or a relegation battle (God I hope I’m right!), but to be lower to mid table. 

I’m convinced Big Phil is the right manager for this club at this moment, I hope Mel & supporters give him the time he needs to fulfill his vision 

Jesus, I hope none of you wet lettuces are Season Ticket holders. Otherwise you might directly keep genuinely interesting fans with genuinely interesting things to say out of the ground, dulling the fans' return to Pride Park with beige, empty, baseless opinions.

You better not take my seat or I'll be upset.

1 hour ago, Rampage said:

Play is far to slow and predictable for me and dire to watch if we are playing in our own half. New signings and a different style of play in midfield and forward is essential.

This point can't be ignored. Obviously we need more quality but I'm slightly concerned that even if we do manage to get new faces in, the general play will be similar. Let's not kid ourselves, we've watched some dreadful football over the past year. Looks great when it clicks, but as it stands that's an anomaly. We can't seem to do anything consistently. It needs to be much quicker and purposeful. Ultimately it is down to Cocu to get that right. 

21 minutes ago, Rammy03 said:

This point can't be ignored. Obviously we need more quality but I'm slightly concerned that even if we do manage to get new faces in, the general play will be similar. Let's not kid ourselves, we've watched some dreadful football over the past year. Looks great when it clicks, but as it stands that's an anomaly. We can't seem to do anything consistently. It needs to be much quicker and purposeful. Ultimately it is down to Cocu to get that right. 

Cocu has always wanted to play 433 with high intensity and a high press but not had the players to do that. Think one if not both members of his backroom team have alluded to this and matching the sort of intense runs figures Leeds, Brentford etc were doing last season & the players have said this preseason has been hard. Give Cocu the players he wants and we will start to see better football im sure of that.

4 minutes ago, DCFC1388 said:

Cocu has always wanted to play 433 with high intensity and a high press but not had the players to do that. Think one if not both members of his backroom team have alluded to this and matching the sort of intense runs figures Leeds, Brentford etc were doing last season & the players have said this preseason has been hard. Give Cocu the players he wants and we will start to see better football im sure of that.

He probably won't ever get the players he wants in with our constraints after wasting money on rubbish, he will have to make do on a limited budget or ultimately he won't have success. 

9 minutes ago, DCFC1388 said:

Cocu has always wanted to play 433 with high intensity and a high press but not had the players to do that.

Lampard played with high intensity and a high press against Southampton with a midfield of Bird and Evans and an strike force of Lawrence, Holmes and Marriott. No mount, no Wilson.

Archived