When did we last have a decent winger?

Poynton ram

38 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

I would imagine with huge teams of professionals analysing heat maps, miles run, length of passes etc etc they have established that having full backs who get up and down the line is more effective/efficient than have two players stood getting chalk on their boots. 

Heat maps ?I’d prefer 2 wingers who could beat a fullback and get to the line and pull the ball back any day of the week.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Athletico Madrid were one of the best teams in Europe when they had Griezmann in a 442 , not a dead formation just needs very specific players, and doesn't suit technical attacking midfielders who want to play behind a striker or 5 yard pass merchants who sit in front of the back 4 like Matic. Leicester won the premier league with a 442 set up fairly recently as well. 

Last one we had was Ibe. Find the new Ibe.

Watch that.  Highlights from his loan here. Does it all. Beats his man on the inside, on the outside, gets crosses in from the byline, cuts inside to shoot, runs at pace, stretches defenders, plays some decent passes too.

Unpredictable wing play that keeps the defenders guessing. I'd actually forgotten how good he was at that time.

The idea we don't need someone getting to the byline and putting crosses in just because we don't have an old fashioned target man doesn't really ring true, we got a lot of joy from low crosses that season.

I always like Russell and Ward but not really because I thought they were great players.

They got stuck in, battled hard, but their end product wasn't great. Much like other championship 'wingers'. I seem to remember Russell especially getting loads of stick on here over the years.

We seem to all look back at these 2 though with rose tinted glasses though as they were 'popular' characters.

Ince on the other hand had much more of an end product, but he is routinely criticised on here.

I think Ince was arguably the best of the 3, but from comments on here you would think Ward and Russell were 2 of our best players in the last 20 years, whereas Ince was average at best.

Old farts like me can remember wingers being players like Coppell and Robertson; older farts can even remember Matthews and Finney.

As somebody has already says, they are redundant. I read a good thing about why too - pitches. In days of yore, pitches were mud baths and the best way to get the ball on the deck and show a bit of skill was where the pitch was grassier and flatter - in the wide areas. Hence the ubiquitous big centre-forward. Old-timers still refer to England's world cup winners as 'wingless wonders'. It was so unusual as to be worth nicknaming them. Everyone else had been unreliant on wingers for years.

Now pitches are like snooker tables, people can be skillful anywhere on the pitch.

4 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

Old farts like me can remember wingers being players like Coppell and Robertson; older farts can even remember Matthews and Finney.

As somebody has already says, they are redundant. I read a good thing about why too - pitches. In days of yore, pitches were mud baths and the best way to get the ball on the deck and show a bit of skill was where the pitch was grassier and flatter - in the wide areas. Hence the ubiquitous big centre-forward. Old-timers still refer to England's world cup winners as 'wingless wonders'. It was so unusual as to be worth nicknaming them. Everyone else had been unreliant on wingers for years.

Now pitches are like snooker tables, people can be skillful anywhere on the pitch.

Hinton anyone ?

32 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

Heat maps ?I’d prefer 2 wingers who could beat a fullback and get to the line and pull the ball back any day of the week.

A healthy cynicism would be part of it...but eg if as a manager you feel you are getting over run/out fought in midfield, then you can look and clearly see if their two full backs are covering more ground, patrolling the flanks more and enabling their midfield to be tighter. Would also be helpful to show your defenders what you are expecting and then see if they actually do it. Not the be all, but definitely helpful. 

Lawrence on his day is good enough and he rarely heads to the byline. Need another player in his mould. 

If we had a winger of Alan Hintons quality...who could get to the byline...a little glance up and put the ball on the strikers head to score...you didnt need to be 6 foot 3 all the quality was in the cross...and he had dynamite in his boots.

People have beaten me to it, I was going to say Gladys Hinton.

Leighton James and John Robertson were great wingers but, sadly, not for us.

The best one after that I think was Nigel Gallaghan with honourable mentions to TinMan and Simmo. Though I think Simpson played better as a number 10.

The others mentioned were either not true wingers or not decent.

Isn't watching Derby the last two seasons proof enough that we do need a wide man? When Fozzy had been fit enough to play and whip the ball in from the left, and when Harry Wilson was doing that as well as cutting inside/shooting from distance, we've been decent; without that aspect of the have we've been utterly toothless.

Ward,Russell and Ince.

For various reasons they were deemed not good enough or booed.

As far as I can remember Jamie had a few injuries,JR had confidence problems and Tom was great but not liked by everyone(perceived as lazy?).

Abdoul Camara was the quickest and had the best song.

2 hours ago, TexasRam said:

What’s a cross merchant?

Nip down to your local butchers, order a couple of Chateaubriands then grab them and run out the shop without paying. The cross merchant will be the guy in the blood-stained apron chasing you down the road with a meat-cleaver in each hand.

Archived