When did we last have a decent winger?

Poynton ram

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, enachops said:

Never rated Smith as high as most seemed to. I’m obviously in the minority, but although a good player, thought he was over rated. If you go through the history of Player of the Year winners I’d say he’s one of the worst to receive the award. Average touch, found wanting against the best in the division. Bit of a Jonny Russell type. Like I say, in the minority I’m sure! 

Wash your mouth out.

Say what you like about the'modern game' and 'no need for wingers' but:-

If we had a player with Alan Hinton's skills playing for us today he would run rings around modern defences, take inch (2.54 cm) perfect corners and also slot in goals and penalties for fun!

Sadly such a player probably does not exist today!

14 hours ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

Nigel Callaghan was good

Nah. 

He was very, very good. 

Until he found the pie stall. 

GM too and Simmo. 

And contrary to a regular on here, Leighton James was good. 

Mick Pickering was close to being great if he'd not been a full back and utter utter and btotal shi'ite.

Hinton was probably the best in my life time though tbh. 

1 hour ago, Bob The Badger said:

And contrary to a regular on here, Leighton James was good. 

I liked Leighton James but I think he was a victim of circumstances at Derby, joining the season that the big decline began. Consequently, I don't think his talent was ever able to flourish.

Ironically, he was bought when Franny Lee retired. Ironic because we had been playing with a front three of Lee, George and Hector i.e no traditional winger. Compare that with the situation now where the call is for us to bring in a winger.

40 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

I liked Leighton James but I think he was a victim of circumstances at Derby, joining the season that the big decline began. Consequently, I don't think his talent was ever able to flourish.

Ironically, he was bought when Franny Lee retired. Ironic because we had been playing with a front three of Lee, George and Hector i.e no traditional winger. Compare that with the situation now where the call is for us to bring in a winger.

Correcting myself, Leighton James was brought in earlier than I remembered... During Franny's last season, effectively replacing him half way through so playing in some of the best footballing games of all.

Just reading the content of this thread and the name Johnny Russell keeps popping up as a decent winger....Waghorn must have been studying his YouTube videos as the number of 1 v 1s Russell used to miss was phenomenal and I'm convinced Waghorn is trying to steal his mantle.

Simmo the last, Callaghan, Tin Man and Micklewhite before. 

I’m not really sure about the obsession some have with buying a winger in the ‘traditional’ mould? There are multiple reasons we haven’t had one, and they are very rarely seen in championship or pl teams.

Ted McMinn could beat a player yes, but 2 or 3? Mostly not. Back when players covered 8 to 10km max in a match, he only had to walk past his opposite and maybe beat 1 fullback. Now players cover 10km to 13km on a regular basis, the midfielder would be expected to get back, DM covers, fullback and CB. No space unless you are incredible....and we cannot afford incredible. 

Archived