When did we last have a decent winger?

Poynton ram

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The most recent traditional British  winger in a rams shirt I can remember was Kevin Harper, that boy barely left the touch line that said he didn’t really make much of an impact.

Marco Reich is the other one although he was more of an inverted winger. Good player on his day mind!

We've had lots of wide players of late but not many actual wingers. You don't see too many beating the man on the outside and sticking in a cross for a striker these days. The percentages aren't that great and teams have tended to whip it in from deeper behind the defense for attackers to come onto the ball. Done well it's much harder to defend against.

As others have said our wide players have tended to cut inside more and join in with play. It adds more depth and variety to the attack, particularly if you have a Martin-type striker to play around.

I think Ince, Ward, Russell and Dawkins were the most effective in this kind of role. People complained about end product from all of these at times but I'd take any one of them on a flash right now. Since them we've lacked quality in those wide(ish) positions.

8 hours ago, RamNut said:

Tommy smith

jamie ward was effective 

nothing better to watch than a really good winger. 

Yes Alan, I mean you. 

Tommy Smith.

That was the last time I was truly devastated when a player left us.

Absolutely loved him.

What I'd give for that Tommy Smith in this side now.

What a player.

8 hours ago, Chester40 said:

Tom Ince played wide and scored a bagfull of goals. Jamie Ward and Johnny Russell both gave decent width at times... 

Yes, the three that you mentioned were often a real threat to the opposition, and that's what were are lacking. 

I’d imagine it’s because of how much coaching and analysis goes into football as to why we we don’t see wingers anymore, because teams definitely still see value in crossing from the by-line.

Teams are so organised these days that they can comfortably deal with crosses. Even if there was a winger who skinned his man without fail and whipped in crosses then teams would just double up on them. Any player that’s good enough to dribble past two players is better off dribbling in-field anyway.

You see teams take the approach that they get the ball wide, make a triangle and try to get a runner to the by-line to cross instead. 

1 hour ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

Tommy Smith.

That was the last time I was truly devastated when a player left us.

Absolutely loved him.

What I'd give for that Tommy Smith in this side now.

What a player.

Never rated Smith as high as most seemed to. I’m obviously in the minority, but although a good player, thought he was over rated. If you go through the history of Player of the Year winners I’d say he’s one of the worst to receive the award. Average touch, found wanting against the best in the division. Bit of a Jonny Russell type. Like I say, in the minority I’m sure! 

1 minute ago, enachops said:

Never rated Smith as high as most seemed to. I’m obviously in the minority, but although a good player, thought he was over rated. If you go through the history of Player of the Year winners I’d say he’s one of the worst to receive the award. Average touch, found wanting against the best in the division. Bit of a Jonny Russell type. Like I say, in the minority I’m sure! 

You are ?

I love all this nonsense about wingers being relics and they were cross merchants, only successful because of the pitch ?

I’ll ponder that when people start moaning about how many we concede from crosses, or blathering on that slow sidewards passing is a means of stretching the play. Try using the whole pitch? 

Archived