When did we last have a decent winger?

Poynton ram

With all this talk of us signing a winger when did we actually last have a decent winger who could take on defenders and put a decent cross in?

Thinking back to the Jim Smith era I am struggling to think of many.

Simmo under Jim maybe, Marco Reich under Burley and more recently Jamie Ward.

We have signed a number that never quite made it, Lee Morris, Vas Borbokis, Teale, Croft.

Thoughts?

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When was the last time we needed one?

We haven’t played with any striker that loves a headed goal since Rob Hulse just about. Look up and down all top teams and wingers just don’t really exist like they used to. They’re all inside forwards who want to cut inside and shoot or get behind the defence.

It’s a different game now and we don’t need a winger, we just need someone with pace to beat a man. We don’t need them getting to by line and standing the ball up like it’s still 1999. 

2 minutes ago, JustOneChrissyMartin said:

Because the vast majority of teams aren’t cross merchants, and if they are the full backs do that job

What’s a cross merchant?

3 minutes ago, Srg said:

Sorry, missed the part we signed Kieffer Moore. 

You don’t think getting to the byline and pulling a ball back (on the ground or in the air) is not an effective attacking strategy?

The last ones I can think of would be Johnny Russell and Jamie Ward... and even then, I'd argue they played more like 'inverted wingers' than out and out 'wingers' for the majority of the time.

We all might have different opinions on what a 'winger' is nowadays, but I think we can all agree that we need players on either side of the pitch with pace. It was something we obviously lacked last season.

23 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

Why?

I would imagine with huge teams of professionals analysing heat maps, miles run, length of passes etc etc they have established that having full backs who get up and down the line is more effective/efficient than have two players stood getting chalk on their boots. 

I think, as others have alluded to, the fact of the matter is we haven’t had any decent out and out wingers recently because, simply put, we don’t play with them anymore. And neither do most teams nowadays to be honest. Football has evolved beyond someone just charging down the line and smacking a ball into the box, so there’s very few players left in the modern game with those sort of traits. Just like almost all decent footballing outfits nowadays, we play with our attacking widemen as inside forwards. And that’s exactly what we need to be looking for in this window - a proper quality inside forward to play on the RW position. It’s an area of the team that desperately needs improvement.

So probably the better question to ask is: When did we last have decent attacking wide players of any form in our squad? The answer to that, imo, is probably about 5 years ago when we first had Ward and Russell as our two widemen, before we later upgraded further to Ince and Russell. Those 3 are probably the best wide players we’ve had in my time watching the club - all 3 were good goalscorers, good at cutting inside and creating chances, and also good at making intelligent attacking runs down both sides of the pitch to give an outlet for the midfield to play to. Since Ince and Russell left in the Rowett season we’ve been severely lacking that sort of quality in the wide areas. Wilson was a temporary fix, but didn’t solve the long term problem. Lawrence has the potential to reach the levels of the aforementioned 3, but he needs to grow up a bit and become a reliable presence on the pitch. And we obviously desperately need a new RW signed in this window to complement him.

A winger is someone who starts in a wide area of the pitch and the main aim is to run with the ball and get at players, a winger who cuts inside is still a winger becuase they start in a wide area and from goal kicks and from restarts their starting position is out wide. A left mid or right mid in a 442 is a traditional winger who runs the touchline and crosses a lot, we don't have any of those and don't play a 442 but that doesn't mean we play without wingers.  The only formation that doesn't have wingers is a narrow diamond or a 433 with 3 upfront which nobody ever uses becuase you get exposed defensively.  So in short someone who people would call a wide forward is still a winger , because of their starting position and the positions they take up in defence just in front of the fullback, just not in the traditional sense of a 442.

The last good wingers we had were Ward and Russell. I don't get this delusion what we don't need wingers becuase we don't play with them, in a 4231 you have 2 players who take up wide positions they track back down the line , come in side and go outside as well, might not be a traditional winger but still a wide player. Knight, Holmes and Whittaker are not good enough to play on the wing for us imo, as they aren't even good as an inverted cutting inside player in a 4231 and with Lawrence nailed on to start we need a pacey right footed player to play on the right side. Waghorn does a job but will probably start upfront and isn't ideal out wide, leaving us with Jozefoon and Lawrence and that's it.  We clearly need 2 new wingers.

Archived