Scott Malone - Joined Millwall on a season long loan

DCFC1388

8 hours ago, Zag zig said:

He’s not a bad team player in truth, whole hearted, maybe a bit of a full throttle, red mist tackler at times; that lets him down along with getting caught out of position for me.

It’s funny, my main memory of Malone if he goes, will be winding up the Leeds players and getting in their heads in last years semi final; I’m of course referring to his “their heads have gone” comment walking in the tunnel, which was quite audible. Quite funny too coming from Scott Malone, but at the time I do belief it had some impact and says a lot for what he’s about. 

Funny how we all see things differently - that to me shows his lack of class as a player. Like village team cricketer that constantly yells "wicket ball" from the field. Imagine it had no impact at all other than to confirm what he was like

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Really highly rated him at Fulham and Cardiff. Was delighted when we signed him. For whatever reason, his great attacking play is cancelled out by his awful defensive decision making. He's been decent for us but being 3rd choice left back, I think his days are numbered, regardless of what people think of him.

He is a fine player. Excellent on his day with bad days where he has lapses in concentration. Unfortunately you just shouldn’t be spending multi millions on ‘fine’ full backs at this level and it is a shame Lampard felt the need to do so rather than trying to work with Lowe on his deficiencies.

Thankfully we also seem to be past the days of paying experienced back ups lots of money. That is no slight on Malone but just hopefully shows signs that the club is finally learning from their mistakes.

Rowett is doing a very decent job there and signing some good players for next to nothing - top 6 is likely 

Malone is expensive to us in wages so moving on and the other team paying them in full is ideal as we have two lads waiting in line in lowe and Buchanan whilst Forsyth remains the better defender 

Malone was once a Millwall player if that makes a difference 

i don’t think we have much chance of actually selling him unless it’s to a premiership club which just isn’t likely 

we probably still owe Huddersfield money for his initial transfer so not a great signing by us overall yet again 

Malone would be fantastic as a wingback and his height has worked out well on some corners, has the legs to go up and down the wing all game too. I'd keep if there was a plan for wingbacks, but he could go if a back 4 is in our plan. He's clearly 4th choice after Forsyth, Lowe and Buchanan.

1 minute ago, Shang said:

Malone would be fantastic as a wingback and his height has worked out well on some corners, has the legs to go up and down the wing all game too. I'd keep if there was a plan for wingbacks, but he could go if a back 4 is in our plan. He's clearly 4th choice after Forsyth, Lowe and Buchanan.

Respectfully disagree. Struggle to see this amazing play going forward. He's a check back and give it to the centre back merchant.

1 minute ago, Srg said:

Respectfully disagree. Struggle to see this amazing play going forward. He's a check back and give it to the centre back merchant.

In games where he had a pass option in front of him (basically when Lawrence was out) he was great. When Lawrence kept cutting into the middle and Malone had no forward ball out, he played it safe to the CBs. We could see his potential when Lampard switched to a back 3 on occasion and he didn't need to run back to cover the position.

He doesn't work in a back four, or at least without a true winger in front of him. 

3 minutes ago, Shang said:

In games where he had a pass option in front of him (basically when Lawrence was out) he was great. When Lawrence kept cutting into the middle and Malone had no forward ball out, he played it safe to the CBs. We could see his potential when Lampard switched to a back 3 on occasion and he didn't need to run back to cover the position.

He doesn't work in a back four, or at least without a true winger in front of him. 

Works best sat in the stands on a Saturday.

I like loaning players like full-backs to teams in the same division. Its often a noticeable hole when the backup fills in, in games against us.

I quite like Malone and find the view of many strange. But we have four left backs battling for one place. If I recall, Fozzy has a new contract and then Lowe and Buchanan have potential to be better players if they get the game time, so it would be a good move all round if Malone had a new club. Would leave with my thanks, and just one regret.

I felt his sending off against Leeds had a massive impact on the playoff final. Ashley Cole wasn't fit enough to get beyond the halfway line, meaning our offensive play down the left side was totally stunted. Malone's failure was sometimes not engaging brain and collecting a lot of needless cards as a result. 

4 hours ago, Sparkle said:

Rowett is doing a very decent job there and signing some good players for next to nothing - top 6 is likely 

Malone is expensive to us in wages so moving on and the other team paying them in full is ideal as we have two lads waiting in line in lowe and Buchanan whilst Forsyth remains the better defender 

Malone was once a Millwall player if that makes a difference 

i don’t think we have much chance of actually selling him unless it’s to a premiership club which just isn’t likely 

we probably still owe Huddersfield money for his initial transfer so not a great signing by us overall yet again 

They haven't forgotten and don't seem overly keen on his potential return.

Archived