Cocu's 5-Man Shortlist

Nuwtfly

I wouldn’t get too excited about any investment this summer. Personally, I would think it could be a tough (late) summer with everything going on and the fact we’ve got a couple of young players that could interest Premier League teams.

I would imagine that one or two sales could be made, most of which could be reinvested in the team, but it’s crazy to think that we would build on what we have without seeing a couple through the door. I imagine that the outcome of the FFP judgement would also be a sticking point - no one wants to go into a season with a huge gap to make up before a ball has even been kicked. 

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

Can’t think for a second this link is anything but utter ********. Why would we have so many CB targets, but no goalkeeper options?

Maybe we have already agreed to sign a goalkeeper? 

8 hours ago, gccrowdpleaser said:

Remember there is no FFP for the next 12 months at least...so new investment could be attracted by having one year to throw money at it with no ffp consequences 

The EFL haven’t said that 

20 hours ago, Shuff264 said:

During lockdown I played a save of Football Manager as PSV. (The following below if absolutely meaningless but y'know, its fun)

I sold Lammers to Derby this transfer window, dont think he did very well but I'm pretty sure Derby rehired Rowett.

Mauro Junior was excellent for me though, in either attacking mid or right wing.

Better on the left though from what i have seen of him.

He may be avaliable though with being loaned out this season at Heracles.

18 hours ago, Ambitious said:

I wouldn’t get too excited about any investment this summer. Personally, I would think it could be a tough (late) summer with everything going on and the fact we’ve got a couple of young players that could interest Premier League teams.

I would imagine that one or two sales could be made, most of which could be reinvested in the team, but it’s crazy to think that we would build on what we have without seeing a couple through the door. I imagine that the outcome of the FFP judgement would also be a sticking point - no one wants to go into a season with a huge gap to make up before a ball has even been kicked. 

I think even without the Coronavirus we'd have been mostly looking in the free or loan bins.

Even more so now, as I think it'll be less likely we'll generate much income.

21 hours ago, gccrowdpleaser said:

Remember there is no FFP for the next 12 months at least...so new investment could be attracted by having one year to throw money at it with no ffp consequences 

Complete Turkish Delight in my opinion. CIYR

15 hours ago, RamLad1884 said:

Let's say we sold Bogle for £10 Mill, that probably covers the fees for all 5 of them to be fair (alright maybe not Lammers, loan to perm?) 

I suspect that 3 of these would be loans due to their age. 

2 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Wrong. 

"UEFA implemented FFP to protect clubs from spending more than they earn, with penalties including disqualification from European competitions, fines and transfer bans.

Under normal circumstances, FFP's "break-even rule" is calculated once per year. However, UEFA will now postpone the 2020 calculation and instead have it assessed together with the financial year in 2021.

A UEFA statement  said the emergency measures aim at "giving clubs more time to quantify and account for unanticipated loss of revenues" and "neutralising the adverse impact of the pandemic by allowing clubs to adjust the break-even calculation for revenue shortfalls reported in 2020 and 2021, while at the same time protecting the system from potential abuses".

Nevertheless, it opens up the possibility of clubs spending big in the forthcoming transfer window provided they believe they can make up any potential revenue shortfall before the next FFP calculations are made next year."

42 minutes ago, gccrowdpleaser said:

"UEFA implemented FFP to protect clubs from spending more than they earn, with penalties including disqualification from European competitions, fines and transfer bans.

Under normal circumstances, FFP's "break-even rule" is calculated once per year. However, UEFA will now postpone the 2020 calculation and instead have it assessed together with the financial year in 2021.

A UEFA statement  said the emergency measures aim at "giving clubs more time to quantify and account for unanticipated loss of revenues" and "neutralising the adverse impact of the pandemic by allowing clubs to adjust the break-even calculation for revenue shortfalls reported in 2020 and 2021, while at the same time protecting the system from potential abuses".

Nevertheless, it opens up the possibility of clubs spending big in the forthcoming transfer window provided they believe they can make up any potential revenue shortfall before the next FFP calculations are made next year."

UEFA’s FFP doesn’t apply to us as we aren’t in a UEFA competition. We stick to the EFL’s P&S (FFP) rules. The EFL have not issued any statement saying there will be any change due to Covid. 

42 minutes ago, gccrowdpleaser said:

UEFA's rules only apply to English clubs competing in Europe do they not? I don't think they are going to have much impact on us.

35 minutes ago, sage said:

I think it may be a case of Cocu's transfer budget will be what he raises in sales and saves on net wages. 

I think that's fair enough. 

As Mel put it, when you don't have much money you're less inclined to waste it, and focus on VFM.

Archived