Cocu's 5-Man Shortlist

Nuwtfly

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Leicester Ram said:

When did he say that?

A few weeks after signing.

I want Bielik to be an absolute rock for us, the new Igor, but without trying to antagonise, I think he’s clumsy and I’ll-disciplined. It’s still early days but he was often caught out of position at CB and didn’t track back at CDM, plenty of silly fouls given away too.

I’d love to be proven wrong though

I like Bielik. The lad has got ambition and so he made it clear about how he wants his career to progress. I don't see anything wrong with saying that he wants to play at a higher level and if he can't achieve it with the current club in a couple of seasons then he'd look to move on.

All players should be looking to play at the highest possible level and he clearly doesn't mind giving it some time at Derby to make it happen with us. I'd be more concerned if a player said he didn't mind what level he was playing at as long as it is with Derby, that says to me that they're just happy receiving a pay cheque without the club going anywhere.

5 hours ago, roboto said:

I like Bielik. The lad has got ambition and so he made it clear about how he wants his career to progress. I don't see anything wrong with saying that he wants to play at a higher level and if he can't achieve it with the current club in a couple of seasons then he'd look to move on.

All players should be looking to play at the highest possible level and he clearly doesn't mind giving it some time at Derby to make it happen with us. I'd be more concerned if a player said he didn't mind what level he was playing at as long as it is with Derby, that says to me that they're just happy receiving a pay cheque without the club going anywhere.

I can see your argument. However, let me counter. Who would you rather have playing in the 70th minute of a 6-pointer on a cold night in February - a player who loves the club and will fight for the shirt; or a player who knows he will get to the prem either way and therefore doesn’t need to put 100% in and risk injury.

Now I’m not suggesting that Bielik won’t give us his all. But your argument is that aspiration should be held in higher regard than loyalty. To many fans, it’s the other way round.

I also like Bielik. However, I like his potential as much as I like the player he is now. I’ve not seen enough yet to be convinced he is going to be Prem quality (injury obv taken account of)

5 hours ago, roboto said:

The lad has got ambition and so he made it clear about how he wants his career to progress. I

13 minutes ago, r4derby said:

Now I’m not suggesting that Bielik won’t give us his all. But your argument is that aspiration should be held in higher regard than loyalty. To many fans, it’s the other way round.

Yeah, if he's any good then his talent will speak for him - for all to see! P*ssed me off what he said, made him sound a bit like Lampard. Well 'we're not your stepping stone', unless you put the effort in have the talent.

19 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

Yeah, if he's any good then his talent will speak for him - for all to see! P*ssed me off what he said, made him sound a bit like Lampard. Well 'we're not your stepping stone', unless you put the effort in have the talent.

All the players at the club see us a stepping stone if it means they will get to earn 100k p/w. Just accept the reality, our aim as a club is to maximise player output and potential to get us to the position where we are nearer the top and this scenario is less likely. Ultimately we can tie both the aims of the club and the players together to get the best output, it's a dynamic relationship.

16 minutes ago, tomsdubs said:

All the players at the club see us a stepping stone if it means they will get to earn 100k p/w. Just accept the reality...

I accept the reality, it doesn't have to be shouted out based on no good performances for us though does it. Anyway I hope what he really meant was he wants to play in the Prem and sees that happening with Derby in the next two seasons.

22 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

For players who want to make it to the very top. Especially those who’s youth career has been at a champions league club. We are a stepping stone. 

As are every club except probably 6 in the prem. 

Just now, IlsonDerby said:

For players who want to make it to the very top. Especially those who’s youth career has been at a champions league club. We are a stepping stone. 

As are every club except probably 6 in the prem. 

I didn't say otherwise.

I emphasised it would be nicer if they'd didn't 'billy big baalock' it before they've done anything.

On 23/07/2020 at 17:19, r4derby said:

I can see your argument. However, let me counter. Who would you rather have playing in the 70th minute of a 6-pointer on a cold night in February - a player who loves the club and will fight for the shirt; or a player who knows he will get to the prem either way and therefore doesn’t need to put 100% in and risk injury.

I also like Bielik. However, I like his potential as much as I like the player he is now. I’ve not seen enough yet to be convinced he is going to be Prem quality (injury obv taken account of)

Loyalty is nonsense. The club or the fans don't show any loyalty to the players, so I fail to see why the players should be held to a higher standard. Any player who says they want to stay at Derby for the rest of their career is a goddamn idiot. Below is what Bielik actually said - he wants to try his best to get us promoted, but if doesn't work out he wants to try and get back to the Prem. If he does well for us we shouldn't be standing in his way out of some misguided notion of "loyalty".

“I’ve signed a five-year contract. My ambition is a promotion with the Derby County team,” 

“If it does not happen this season, we will try next year. If we do not succeed next year, I do not know what will happen, because I would like to play in the highest league.

“However, if it happens in two to three years, that’s fine.

“I will fight to get there with my current team but if we don’t succeed, there may be a club from the Premier League that will want to loan or buy me out.”

51 minutes ago, GenBr said:

Loyalty is nonsense. The club or the fans don't show any loyalty to the players, so I fail to see why the players should be held to a higher standard. Any player who says they want to stay at Derby for the rest of their career is a goddamn idiot. Below is what Bielik actually said - he wants to try his best to get us promoted, but if doesn't work out he wants to try and get back to the Prem. If he does well for us we shouldn't be standing in his way out of some misguided notion of "loyalty".

“I’ve signed a five-year contract. My ambition is a promotion with the Derby County team,” 

“If it does not happen this season, we will try next year. If we do not succeed next year, I do not know what will happen, because I would like to play in the highest league.

“However, if it happens in two to three years, that’s fine.

“I will fight to get there with my current team but if we don’t succeed, there may be a club from the Premier League that will want to loan or buy me out.”

Wasn't it Arsenal we signed him from? If he's been on the fringes of a big club before, you can't blame him (or any player) for wanting to be in the prem.

23 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

I didn't say otherwise.

I emphasised it would be nicer if they'd didn't 'billy big baalock' it before they've done anything.

I think that the fact he’s been prepared to go out on loan and then sign for a championship club rather than sit in Arsenals under 23s shows he’s probably got the right attitude? 

13 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

I think that the fact he’s been prepared to go out on loan and then sign for a championship club rather than sit in Arsenals under 23s shows he’s probably got the right attitude? 

He's been on loan to Charlton and then signed for us. His attitude might indeed be right, but as of yet there's been no real sign here of a Prem player in the making. If Sibley had said it I'd find it understandable. 

Anyway I hope he comes back a fitter, smarter player. There were little hints of the type of player he might become before his injury.

8 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

He's been on loan to Charlton and then signed for us. His attitude might indeed be right, but as of yet there's been no real sign here of a Prem player in the making. If Sibley had said it I'd find it understandable. 

Anyway I hope he comes back a fitter, smarter player. There were little hints of the type of player he might become before his injury.

I can understand your cautiousness but from the brief performances I’ve seen of him I think it’s evident he’s headed for higher levels than this. He’s a very good player. Needs to mature tactically a bit but the ability is there. 

Archived