Cocu's 5-Man Shortlist

Nuwtfly

Report today from Turkish site "Sporx" (yes, really) who claim to know Cocu's 5 main targets for this summer's transfer window:

- Sam Lammers (ST - PSV)

- Menno Koch (CB - Eupen)

- Ferdi Kadioglu (RW - Fenerbache) . . . you again!

- Mauro Junior (CAM - PSV)

- Jordy de Wijs (CB - Hull City)

https://www.sporx.com/futbol/ekstra/phillip-cocunun-transfer-listesindeki-5-yildizSXGLQ47519SXQ?sira=4

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lammers excites me. Which means it won't happen.

Kadioglu must surely be out of our budget?

To see another 2 CBs on the list makes me suspicious though. Can't help but feel this is a made up list of players with some link to Cocu. Kadioglu's about the only one we've had concrete interest in...

44 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Report today from Turkish site "Sporx" (yes, really) who claim to know Cocu's 5 main targets for this summer's transfer window:

- Sam Lammers (ST - PSV)

https://www.sporx.com/futbol/ekstra/phillip-cocunun-transfer-listesindeki-5-yildizSXGLQ47519SXQ?sira=4

There is logic in each of them - But would imagine they're speculative by the writer rather than anything real

All look like interesting options though

But agree with @MK-Ram that GK will be top of his list

1 hour ago, Nuwtfly said:

- Sam Lammers (ST - PSV)

De Wijs is left sided. Communication is key in a defensive partnership which would be ideal next to Te Wierik and in front of Roos. Never really paid much attention to him so can’t say if he’s worth looking at, but haven’t seen anything in the one or two games I have seen to be overly impressed. 

Doubt it is a list of his top targets anyway. 

1 hour ago, inter politics said:

'Derby County Coach Phillip Cocu calculates the upcoming Premier League next season. For this, he wants to transfer key players to his team. Here is the 5-player transfer list of the Dutch technical man ...' 

Only Google translate so it might be the phrasing is misrepresented, but if not that suggests it is his list. 

1 hour ago, Animal is a Ram said:

To see another 2 CBs on the list makes me suspicious though. 

Probably need to have at least 4 solid CBs to get through the season, especially if we get to keep with 5 subs and Cocu plays 5 at the back when we need to hold onto a lead. With the way we set up it wouldn't surprise me at all if we went 3 CB at times also. 

Had to google a couple of those to check them out!

Sam Lammers seems like a pretty good shout. Fits the bill for a young target man and hasn't been able to break into the PSV starting XI after what seemed a decent spell for Heerenveen the season before.

Menno Koch. Sign him for his name alone, we'd shift tons of shirts. Can't say his stats look very exciting though. Last season he played for a team that narrowly avoided relegation from the Belgian Jupiler League. Looks as though he can play either of the CB positions though and he's 1.95m (6ft 5 in old money).

Ferdi Kadioglu. I hope there's some truth in this. Seems to be an exciting prospect and the Fenerbahce fans do rate him even if their current coach doesn't.

Mauro Junior. I reckon this is the least likely of the lot. Not sure how the current system for work permits works for footballers, but a non-european player with no full international caps is unlikely to be able to sign for a championship club, unless he has some relatives that can get him an EU passport before Brexit passes... (Don't ask Esteban Fuertes for advice on this either). Also, do we need another left-footed central midfielder?

Jordy de Wijs. Came through the PSV ranks while Cocu was in charge. Left footed CB who plays in the championship already. Hull possibly heading down to League 1. This one makes a lot of sense, but again, maybe it's all just wild speculation and none of this has any substance. Probably a bit better on the ball than Koch according to stats I can find online (which could be complete crap ? ).

Anyway, I love the transfer window and the speculation. Takes my mind off a poor run of results at the end of the season and gets me all hyped up for another year of pain and torture reading all the moans on here!

As others have mentioned, if these are his main targets then I'm surprised there's no GK.

Out of those names though... Sam Lammers on a season long loan wouldn't be unrealistic... and, from what I saw of him on loan at Heerenveen last season, reckon he could fit in to how we play really well. Kadioglu looks class, but I can't see us having that kind of money to spend. de Wijs from Hull wouldn't be a bad shout either (assuming we can't get Clarke for at least another season).

3 hours ago, Nuwtfly said:

- Sam Lammers (ST - PSV)

Wasn't there some gentleman's agreement he has, not to sign anyone from PSV? 

During lockdown I played a save of Football Manager as PSV. (The following below if absolutely meaningless but y'know, its fun)

I sold Lammers to Derby this transfer window, dont think he did very well but I'm pretty sure Derby rehired Rowett.

Mauro Junior was excellent for me though, in either attacking mid or right wing.

So, it’s one guy who we’ve been linked with and then a bunch of current and ex-PSV players who “might” fit the bill.

They’d certainly be on Cocu’s radar, just because they are all intrinsically linked to his previous clubs, but it feels like pure speculation...

6 hours ago, Animal is a Ram said:

Lammers excites me. Which means it won't happen.

Kadioglu must surely be out of our budget?

To see another 2 CBs on the list makes me suspicious though. Can't help but feel this is a made up list of players with some link to Cocu. Kadioglu's about the only one we've had concrete interest in...

Remember there is no FFP for the next 12 months at least...so new investment could be attracted by having one year to throw money at it with no ffp consequences 

Archived