Giving the players abuse.

Coneheadjohn

1 minute ago, cool_as_custard said:

My particular beef in this whole sorry mess is the apparent belief these days that making an apology once you have been found out or caught somehow absolves you of consequences.

Vile abuse at a match would hopefully get you banned from PP and any sort of apology wouldn't or shouldn't save you. Not taking responsibility for actions is a cancer in society generally these days. Vile abuse on social media should result in the same, but rarely does. This petition was one of many instances that caused a fellow human being to delete their account. Someone making a living out of a professional game. 

"If I get caught I can always apologise" seems to be a mantra some believe in these days. If your basic decency filter was working remotely you couldn't get near to forming the idea of such a petition.

Or am I just an out of touch old biffer.......

Nah I agree fully. So many apologies for things like this is like you said, they’re sorry they got caught. Not that they’re sorry for what they did. 

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, cool_as_custard said:

Vile abuse on social media should result in the same, but rarely does. This petition was one of many instances that caused a fellow human being to delete their account. Someone making a living out of a professional game. 

Not sure the petition was vile abuse, definitely an ill judged joke, but pretty tame considering some of the vile stuff people say on the internet.

There are far too many scumbags around both on social media and in life in general-part of society has become feral and we have a proportion that are attached to our club-Hamer didn't do it deliberately its a genuine error -whatever happened to all the #bekind  Twitter messages.

1 hour ago, cool_as_custard said:

My particular beef in this whole sorry mess is the apparent belief these days that making an apology once you have been found out or caught somehow absolves you of consequences.

Vile abuse at a match would hopefully get you banned from PP and any sort of apology wouldn't or shouldn't save you. Not taking responsibility for actions is a cancer in society generally these days. Vile abuse on social media should result in the same, but rarely does. This petition was one of many instances that caused a fellow human being to delete their account. Someone making a living out of a professional game. 

"If I get caught I can always apologise" seems to be a mantra some believe in these days. If your basic decency filter was working remotely you couldn't get near to forming the idea of such a petition.

Or am I just an out of touch old biffer.......

I once caught someone stealing from work and not a minor amount.  He promised to pay it back if we dropped the case and he was astonished to discover he had to pay it back and go to jail.; which he did.  

I like the way Cocu has approached this and called it out. I have zero issue in him calling out his own clubs fans. The bloke’s estimations just go up and up and up in my eyes.

I would love the club to act stronger on abuse. There is a line that gets crossed (where that line is would be difficult to state) every now and and then and when it does, these fans shouldn’t be allowed to games.

I’ll happily criticise players whilst talking to other fans etc but never ever tag them in stuff or shout abuse at them just no need last thing they want after they’ve been poor is to come onto a social media platform and see hundreds off messages that he’s been tagged in

Racial abuse should never be tolerated, and any perpetrators banned for life.   There's a line which should never be crossed, but unfortunately too many seem to think that racial abuse is fine (hopefully that 12 yr old idiot from Solihull will get his just desserts).

I remember many years ago being at Pride Park for a match against Leicester (Robbie Savage and Stan Collymore were playing for Leicester). Stan Collymore was getting a lot of stick from the Derby fans about Ulrika Johnson.  That sort of mickey taking is (I feel) acceptable.  However later in the game Collymore injured his leg quite badly, and had to go off injured, and I was disgusted that about 25 feet away from me in the same stand, there were a group of fans pointing at Collymore going off and laughing their heads off about it.  Although I might dislike a player who's on the opposition, I'd not wish a serious injury on anyone.

What lines do other fans on here feel shouldnt be crossed?

2 hours ago, Andicis said:

Not sure the petition was vile abuse, definitely an ill judged joke, but pretty tame considering some of the vile stuff people say on the internet.

I wasn't implying the petition was vile abuse (didn't see it) but we all know there is a lot of it about. Calling it ill judged is being generous.  Christ knows what the general tone would have been like if Hamer was black. Looking at Zaha and David McGoldrick in just the last couple of days.

1 hour ago, SFD1968 said:

Racial abuse should never be tolerated, and any perpetrators banned for life.   There's a line which should never be crossed, but unfortunately too many seem to think that racial abuse is fine (hopefully that 12 yr old idiot from Solihull will get his just desserts).

I remember many years ago being at Pride Park for a match against Leicester (Robbie Savage and Stan Collymore were playing for Leicester). Stan Collymore was getting a lot of stick from the Derby fans about Ulrika Johnson.  That sort of mickey taking is (I feel) acceptable.  However later in the game Collymore injured his leg quite badly, and had to go off injured, and I was disgusted that about 25 feet away from me in the same stand, there were a group of fans pointing at Collymore going off and laughing their heads off about it.  Although I might dislike a player who's on the opposition, I'd not wish a serious injury on anyone.

Me too, but with that woman beater i'd make an exception.

I don’t have an issue with people calling out a mistake by a goal keeper or anyone else, I do have an issue when it becomes abusive as that’s not on, players don’t intend to make mistakes. 
on another point if I was a player I would do social media at all, but that is their choice. I don’t see why Hamer should ever need to delete his Twitter account because of abuse. 

At the end of the day this is a human being with a job and a family. I guess none of us who are working would like someone saying we were !,,, at our job and demanding we were sacked. One can only imagine the impact.

Fans are mildly put out because their team has lost.

An individual is wondering what job, if any, he has in August.

We’re all angry and disappointed, Hamer included, but our future is not impacted.

Let’s hope Hamer gets a new job and we get a new keeper and we leave it at that.

I think I posted something along the lines of "how poo must you be if Hamer is in the team ahead of you". But that was on my facebook page and I don't reckon either Hamer or Roos would be sad enough to stalk my facebook account.

I quit Twitter a couple of years ago because of the number of rows I had with some of the brain dead prats that post on there.

2 hours ago, SFD1968 said:

Collymore's a banker, he wears a banker's hat.

8 hours ago, Kernow said:

I don’t doubt that you’re sorry for it. But I also don’t think you can play it off as a “heat of the moment thing”. Going out of your way to set up a petition takes some kind of thought and consideration. You’re well within your rights to say I’ve got the wrong end of the stick, but it just appears that it was done to get some likes but once it backfired, and it wasn’t funny, the apology came.

That’s the difference between criticism and targeted abuse. Plenty will give opinions on mistakes from players publicly, but when it’s rammed down players throats is when it’s gone too far - that point isn’t necessarily aimed just at you.

I appreciate that and as everyone is you’re able to have an opinion, I lost my head for a bit after the result and made an error. Could be seen as a bad joke that backfired or whatever people want to see it as. I realised about 5 minutes after I’d come out of work that I’d made a big mistake hence deleting it in that moment 

3 hours ago, SFD1968 said:

Not sure why you would say racist abuse be treated any differently to any other sort of abuse?

I think you will be among a minority who showed no sympathy to that wife beating rick get his come uppance.

Hard to draw a line when it comes to abuse at football matches, lots of things said in the hear of the moment and lots said in jest. Pretty sure most of us will have said things that would make us cringe when we look back on it.

As long as youre not breaking the law and not offending the people around you then theres not really a problem.

3 hours ago, SFD1968 said:

The only reason Collymore got and gets that grief was because of Yates broken leg and the high five when he played for Villa . Those who were there will remember.

Archived