Cardiff City (A) - Matchday Thread

Sean

24 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

I mean, he’s not on anywhere near that amount. From what I’ve heard it’s no more than 50k a week, which isn’t hugely in excess of some other players wages. But he’s not justifying that with his performances at the moment.

What else is he expected to do considering the circumstances? We’ve seen what he can do, perhaps there’s been too much chopping and changing in midfield. 

• Replies 780
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

What else is he expected to do considering the circumstances? We’ve seen what he can do, perhaps there’s been too much chopping and changing in midfield. 

Focus a lot more on his passing. He’s given away possession cheaply more than anyone else since the break. And you can’t use the excuse of changes in midfield, he’s always had the same CDM partner. FWIW I think he’s looking worse at the moment because he’s tired and we shouldn’t have played him every game. He’s still obviously a great player, but he’s not fit enough to play this often. We shouldn’t be afraid to rest him sometimes, but it feels like we are.

The final ball/shot may sometimes let him down but think we have missed Waghorns effort and energy last 2 games. Same regarding a fully fit Holmes. Many are just shattered from this intense period of playing I think. We're not ready to go up and not making play-offs gives us longer over the summer. Hopefully being so close will make the young players hungrier when they get a full season next year. Just want this horrendous off the pitch season to be over and hopefully next year all drama will be positive and on the pitch.

Didn’t expect to make the playoffs but was hopeful. We should now use the remaining games to experiment with players and systems, let’s use not making the playoffs as planning for next season. I think we really going to have a good season next year, I feel it in my bones ( or is that the damp weather)

12 hours ago, rammieib said:

Definitely shows how people view games differently. We had one decent shot yet pick out four of the six attackers as playing decent? I thought Bird was extremely poor - fans are disguised by his constant sideways and backwards posession which although retains posession very rarely leads to anything. He needs to step up, drive forward and lead otherwise he won't deliver enough to win games.

Lawrence provided exactly what tonight to gain a good/ very good rating from you? Knights goal was a good way to make up for your error but again, he's a busy little player but I'm trying to work what type of player he is. I'm not convinced we can play him and Sibley.

Roos excellent, Clarke excellent and Sibley showed intent. Sibley makes driving little runs, his first touch to escape a defender is super but Martin and Lawrence will rarely be running the channel. Maybe Marriott will but this will be frustrating to watch.

Just feel for Rooney. He's the smartest player we have but with a lack of quality to come on, its difficult for him.

I perhaps shouldn't have lumped them all in like that because there is a big difference between the performances in their. To be honest it was a case of the post being long already and picking out bright performers without going into too much more detail. For quick reference if I was to rate them I'd go something like:

Clarke - 9

Roos - 8.5

Sibley- 8

Bird - 7

Lawrence - 7

Knight - 6 (would have been 6.5/7 without the mistake)

It might seem counterintuive but he attacking problems, in my opinion, largely stemmed from play breaking down too frequently in build up and not being able sustain attacking pressure. 

I think you are being extremely harsh on Bird. He was literally one of two players actually doing anything to get us transitioning through the thirds, not panicking and pumping the ball 40 yards to no one and was instrumental in the goal. Maybe he could have done more but he was a lot more than most around him to get us actually playing.

Lawrence to me showed intent and was consistently getting involved and trying to make things happen. Knight was energetic and had decent movement. I do think it's not his best position but it's our best option there currently and I don't think there is a balance issue with Sibley. To be honest our attacking threat dropped after the subs were made in my opinion (aside from Bogle for Lowe).

We did need more movement up front and a fit Mariott or available Waghorn could have definately helped.

You feel for Rooney ? After last night ? He was dreadful; a boatload of misplaced passes and generally unreliable on the ball, lethargic in finding space to give a passing option to, zero energy from him off the ball and nearly every set piece was a waste. He was clearly completely knackered from the start and honestly in hindsight we should have subbed him at half time.

15 hours ago, DcFc Dyycheee said:

Absolutely hate the way we've been playing the last 3-4 games. The constant sideways/backwards passes puts me to sleep. It's walking football at times. Can we please sign some exciting, pacey attackers who run with the ball in the summer. 

Hope they can run with the ball for the rest of the season as well!

4 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

Will that guarantee we stay up, like Norwich have?

If they’d had more experienced players around them then they easily could, no good player is going to be able to do it all on their own, unless we’re signing Messi?

We need to go up as soon as is possible - I’d have been ecstatic to go up this season - the Premier money spent relatively well easily outweighs spending 2 or 3 years pissing about in the Championship! As exciting as that might be.

Of course, building for 2-3 years guarantees nothing. There is always the risk that you go straight back down.

But I think if we start putting building blocks in place - identifying players who could form part of a squad that could potentially compete in the PL - it leaves us with less work to do in the event we do get promoted. It’s not an exciting prospect but realistically I think that’s where we are.

I think you raise a good point that if you spend the PL money well, it can elevate you and give you a chance. But my response to that would be: do you trust the key people at the club to get it right?

Don’t get me wrong, I’d love us to get promoted and I think in this league promotion should be your aim every year. But the last few games have been difficult to watch, can you imagine what it’d be like against the likes of Liverpool and Man City?

Of course, Rooney and Martin can’t do it all on their own. But look at the top teams. It’s a young man’s pursuit. You have to be strong, quick, mobile and fit to hold your own with these teams.

Rooney looks like me after a week of restaurant hopping in the south of France. If he is not in peak condition, he is wasted at this level.

3 hours ago, Anag Ram said:

I keep seeing calls for wide men.

Are these players going to shoot from the wing?

Unless we change personnel there are precious few at present capable of getting on the end of crosses.

The game has moved on from wingers running down the wing and crossing in from the by-line. Modern day 'wingers' are more like inside forwards, with the fullbacks providing the width and the crosses.

People's expectation of crosses is incredibly unrealistic. As it happens, our 23% cross accuracy is 11th overall. Unsurprisingly Stoke and Millwall lead the charts... at less than 26%. Those two lead the charts for most accurate crosses(5.5 and 5.9 per game) whereas we're down in 21st with 3.8, although just 1 cross per game off being 5th.

So just a 1 in 4 chance of a cross being accurate, and what are the odds of scoring from that? Probably not even 1 in 3. So overall, that's a less than 1 in 12 chance of scoring from a cross. You're better off giving the ball to Lawrence on the edge of the box and letting him shoot. 1 in every 8 of his shots from outside the box has hit the back of the net.

31 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

The game has moved on from wingers running down the wing and crossing in from the by-line. Modern day 'wingers' are more like inside forwards, with the fullbacks providing the width and the crosses.

People's expectation of crosses is incredibly unrealistic. As it happens, our 23% cross accuracy is 11th overall. Unsurprisingly Stoke and Millwall lead the charts... at less than 26%. Those two lead the charts for most accurate crosses(5.5 and 5.9 per game) whereas we're down in 21st with 3.8, although just 1 cross per game off being 5th.

So just a 1 in 4 chance of a cross being accurate, and what are the odds of scoring from that? Probably not even 1 in 3. So overall, that's a less than 1 in 12 chance of scoring from a cross. You're better off giving the ball to Lawrence on the edge of the box and letting him shoot. 1 in every 8 of his shots from outside the box has hit the back of the net.

Great stats!

So I think we’re better off going for Vydra type players than Josefzoons. The latter will probably prove successful at a club with a big centre forward. 

9 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

Great stats!

So I think we’re better off going for Vydra type players than Josefzoons. The latter will probably prove successful at a club with a big centre forward. 

I wouldn't even say that. During his time at Derby, Jozefzoon has only had 3 successful crosses (5.7% accuracy).

19 hours ago, TuffLuff said:

I think from an overall perspective we lack a bit of confidence and therefore conviction to break a team down. That’s from having not many partnerships upfront who link well. Martin, Sibley and Knight have probably been the most effective but can be easily stopped as it effectively leans our forward play comes through the centre, plus the fact you are dealing with two players who lack experience. I think Cocu has already identified it but we really miss an effective winger, not just from a crossing perspective but also someone who drags players out to him which makes more space in the centre.

I have hardly any doubts in Cocu and I don’t think we are far off. The goal tonight showed what we could be in for next season, we just need to see more of it.

If as expected, Leeds beat us then a mid table finish looks likely but a lot of progress for the future has been made this season. COYR

9 hours ago, Red_Dawn said:

Guys on our forum seem to think your players are viewing him as a get out clause. That if it's not going well, pass to Rooney and he'll get you out of trouble. 

They don't know what they are talking about. 

The game has moved on ?

instead of taking on the full back and delivering a dangerous cross.....let’s go backwards and sidewards. we can really boost our successful pass completion stats by boring everyone stiff. 

some of the youngters needed a break last night Bird for example but we don't have the depth to do that....Rooney also looked tired generally and i thought he did against Brentford, some on here are criticising Cocu and saying we are negative.

I do get where you're coming from if you see the amount of backwards passes and seemingly negative play but....to turn a team into a possesion based team the first part of that is to keep the ball at all times no matter what, don't try dangerous high risk passes just keep the ball and keep it moving and this is how it gets embedded into your team/squad especially when trying to change your philosophies.

The next phase will be once everyone is comfortable in keeping the ball is to know when to take risks and for other players to know the triggers for setting up dangerous attacks...this takes time on the training ground and the correct personnel....there have been glimpses of that and in truth with a squad that is lacking in areas and and who still make basic fundamental individual errors.

I'm not saying anyone is a wrist slasher for criticising and calling it boring because i can see what you're saying but it is totally necessary to be comfortable to be able to move onwards as with better players and hopefully a decent GK a striker who can hold the ball and have pace and a ball playing CB we will take more chances and hopefully evolve into a very good side.

Pep had fantastic players and yet in his first season done exactly this embedding his philosophy first and making players buy into it before gradually replacing the ones who couldn't go to the next level of it...it takes time and we are both short of quality and pace in certain critical areas of the pitch, both of these will be adressed i beleive including a new GK 

Give Cocu a few players and lets see what happens but if we are 2-1 up with ten to go i fully expect us to try and keep the ball taking less risks than going for another goal and this is how Cocu appears to play, this may also change but all i am saying is before saying how negative and dull it is think why is this being coached into our team ? it is to make everyone ultra comfortable on the ball and certain players in our squad still struggle with this and some will have to go and be replaced and seeing certain passages of play over the last few months have been great to watch and with what he has is remarkable...virtually the same points as Lampard but without Keogh,Wilson,Mount and Temori  and that is fantastic, before anyone mentions Leeds game....i still say Frank got lucky because an injury made him bring on Marriott which seemed to change the game but then royally F***** it up by picking the wrong team at wembley and leaving Marriott on the bench....... Cocu was never going to change from his football philosophy and nor would i want him too because this will stand us in good stead going forward if we were to ever get to the prem league.....one step at a time it is a long term project and will have steps forward and some seemingly backwards ...lets wait and see then judge 

some of the youngters needed a break last night Bird for example but we don't have the depth to do that

Shinnie - sat on the bench

Archived