Cardiff City (A) - Matchday Thread

Sean

1 hour ago, ossieram said:

How many would have taken midtable after our start to the season and the car crash fiasco?

Give Cocu a full pre-season and the chance to strengthen the squad and I can seriously seeing us push on next season.

For now, I just want us to kick lumps out of dirty lids on Sunday and end the season with a bang.

100% to all 3 points made.

Phillip Cocu has had it ridiculously tough from the first minute he walked through the door. He’s done well to get us where we are all things considered, other managers would’ve seen us relegated with his level of misfortune and limited time preseason. 

As for Dirty Leeds, kick the crap out of em Derby ????

• Replies 780
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not too upset to be missing out on the play offs, it was always an uphill struggle with the games we had left, the disappointing thing is the manner in which we’ve missed out. We were the better team for large parts for the game last night, from between their first and second goals, I don’t remember them having a shot. We just gave them two goals, they didn’t have to work to score them and the second clearly had a major effect on the team as we couldn’t get back into the game after that. 

Next season is the focus now, time to look forward. With a couple of good additions this team can be really dangerous, if we get Clarke back or another similar quality cb and add a decent keeper we will have a solid back 5. A bit of pace in the wide areas coupled with a preseason and I think we can be a serious threat next season. 

We do need to move quickly though, get all the pieces in place early so we are as prepared as possible. Sign the players we need and sort the contracts of our own players out as soon as possible. I trust Cocu to get us up, we just need to ensure we give him the proper tools and that now needs to be the focus. 

I think last night was frustrating for all of us as we've seen that narrative over and over again this season. Shooting ourselves in the foot again with both goals conceded but overall we didn't quite create enough. The goal was an example of the kind of football we want to see, explosive, skilful and clinical. We need to see more of that please. 

Bird and Rooney were off it last night which really showed the breakdown for us. Bird was attempting more long balls than ever and it just didn't seem he has the range yet. Rooney just couldn't get anything right and the more he tried the worse it got. I have to say his mistake for the second goal was really poor, and to not even attempt to run back was a bit dis-heartening to watch. I don't think we should be too hard on him and I can see there's already a thread questioning his role, which is a little reactionary after one really poor game. He till influences proceedings and brings the best out of others, last night was an off-night. I think he could do with a rest. You've got to remember he's 35 now and playing midfield so covering a lot of ground so I think a rest could be due for him over the summer, get him a full pre-season and see how he is then. 

Felt a bit for Martin although thought their centre half (Nelson?) had the better of him. It just showed again the lack of creativity and genuine pace in the side. Our wide players arent natural wingers. Knight is doing a job but he's not a winger. Lawrence put a shift in but never beat his man, never got a cross in and again didnt really manage to get into the oppositions box sadly. Left and Right wing needs addressing. The lad for Wycombe - Fred Onyedinma impressed me in the two legs against Fleetwood in their play off game and again in the final vs Oxford. Has a trick or two in his locker and goes like the clappers! 

Overall I think we've been dealt some bad luck with injuries and suspensions. This was epitomised by the subs we brought on: Jozefzoon come in from nowhere, Malone - must be one to be moving on. Our squad just isn't quite there for a play-off challenge. 

Finally on the game itself, credit where it's due to Kelle Roos. I thought he did really well coming into the side. Can't be easy seeing what Hamer was subject to, his history in a Derby shirt and not playing for a long time. Made some really good saves, the ball stuck in his gloves nd I don't think he could do anything about the two goals he conceded. I still think we need a new keeper and question whether it would be better for both parties if Roos moved in the summer too? But well done last night Mr Roos. 

A great effort to be looking at a top half finish considering where we were in January. Credit to the players and management for turning it around and taking us on a decent little run. 

Let's be honest boys and girls, if ever there was a season to get the deck chair out and watch the playoffs as a neutral it is this year where we can't even get into the stadium to watch them play. 

Two to go now and then let's hope the management have a really good go in the summer for Cocu to have the players he wants to really give us a platform to build on. 

8 minutes ago, 'Rambe33 said:

I think last night was frustrating for all of us as we've seen that narrative over and over again this season. Shooting ourselves in the foot again with both goals conceded but overall we didn't quite create enough. The goal was an example of the kind of football we want to see, explosive, skilful and clinical. We need to see more of that please. 

Bird and Rooney were off it last night which really showed the breakdown for us. Bird was attempting more long balls than ever and it just didn't seem he has the range yet. Rooney just couldn't get anything right and the more he tried the worse it got. I have to say his mistake for the second goal was really poor, and to not even attempt to run back was a bit dis-heartening to watch. I don't think we should be too hard on him and I can see there's already a thread questioning his role, which is a little reactionary after one really poor game. He till influences proceedings and brings the best out of others, last night was an off-night. I think he could do with a rest. You've got to remember he's 35 now and playing midfield so covering a lot of ground so I think a rest could be due for him over the summer, get him a full pre-season and see how he is then. 

Felt a bit for Martin although thought their centre half (Nelson?) had the better of him. It just showed again the lack of creativity and genuine pace in the side. Our wide players arent natural wingers. Knight is doing a job but he's not a winger. Lawrence put a shift in but never beat his man, never got a cross in and again didnt really manage to get into the oppositions box sadly. Left and Right wing needs addressing. The lad for Wycombe - Fred Onyedinma impressed me in the two legs against Fleetwood in their play off game and again in the final vs Oxford. Has a trick or two in his locker and goes like the clappers! 

Overall I think we've been dealt some bad luck with injuries and suspensions. This was epitomised by the subs we brought on: Jozefzoon come in from nowhere, Malone - must be one to be moving on. Our squad just isn't quite there for a play-off challenge. 

Finally on the game itself, credit where it's due to Kelle Roos. I thought he did really well coming into the side. Can't be easy seeing what Hamer was subject to, his history in a Derby shirt and not playing for a long time. Made some really good saves, the ball stuck in his gloves nd I don't think he could do anything about the two goals he conceded. I still think we need a new keeper and question whether it would be better for both parties if Roos moved in the summer too? But well done last night Mr Roos. 

A great effort to be looking at a top half finish considering where we were in January. Credit to the players and management for turning it around and taking us on a decent little run. 

Let's be honest boys and girls, if ever there was a season to get the deck chair out and watch the playoffs as a neutral it is this year where we can't even get into the stadium to watch them play. 

Two to go now and then let's hope the management have a really good go in the summer for Cocu to have the players he wants to really give us a platform to build on. 

Good points,well made ?

I won't be watching the play offs though,I'm not that generous or interested in another teams progress...once we have finished our games,that's it,roll on next season.

I should have put a bet on.  A colleague of mine is a Cardiff fan and my description before the game was "we will have a lot of possession and some really good spells but will ultimately lose due to our own mistakes!"

We cant be too critical on Rooney and Bird, they both had a bad game but that isn't something we say too often.

Strangely i thought the back 5 had one of their better games.  Roos playing well and the two centre halves looked comfortable against a big centre forward.

I just don't think we can progress without some genuine creativity and pace in the wide areas.  Brentford, Forest, Cardiff, West Brom all had pacey, quick intelligent wide players which ultimately got them results and all had a hand in their goals against us.  Our current wide players aren't creative enough and don't cause the opposition enough problems.

One of the challenges we have if we are playing through the thirds is the lack of movement from our front 3. Yes, the quality of Bird and Rooney did not help last night but There were quite a few times where we moved through the first and second thirds only to be met with static forwards who were marked out of the game. We then were recycling the ball rather than forcing it (which in a lot of cases is good football play and keep ball rather than hit and hope), but the recycling of the ball meant nothing because when it came back the forwards were still in the same place they were before.

It is really easy to mark players like that. And when Martin is looking for free kicks and not getting them from the ref and he is not moving then his influence is negligible. Knight and Lawrence were almost as non influential. Cue Marriott's introduction and a forward moving and playing on the back of the defenders etc and things start moving, not improving overall, but at least moving.

1 minute ago, England Ram said:

One of the challenges we have if we are playing through the thirds is the lack of movement from our front 3. Yes, the quality of Bird and Rooney did not help last night but There were quite a few times where we moved through the first and second thirds only to be met with static forwards who were marked out of the game. We then were recycling the ball rather than forcing it (which in a lot of cases is good football play and keep ball rather than hit and hope), but the recycling of the ball meant nothing because when it came back the forwards were still in the same place they were before.

It is really easy to mark players like that. And when Martin is looking for free kicks and not getting them from the ref and he is not moving then his influence is negligible. Knight and Lawrence were almost as non influential. Cue Marriott's introduction and a forward moving and playing on the back of the defenders etc and things start moving, not improving overall, but at least moving.

Get your tin hat on, it’s never Martin’s fault. 

2 minutes ago, England Ram said:

Marriott was unfortunately the least influential of the lot when he came on.

Knight scored our goal and Lawrence at least tried to assist in defending.

Martin,despite being isolated made the vital contribution to our only goal.

The issue,to my mind,is the lack of two roper quick and tasty wingers....wish we had ward and Russell back in their prime.

12 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

Another controversial view : Rooney is holding this team back since the break. He’s been consistently poor, giving the ball away far too often, and yet seems to somehow be invincible to being dropped. I don’t know whether he’s tired or what. But I do know we looked a better side without him against Blackburn. Every move is breaking down with him at the minute.

You mean, he's not worth 130k per week?

9 hours ago, Jourdan said:

Sure, if we want to go up by any means necessary, then yes next year could be the year.

But if we want to build a balanced and evolved team, it will take some time.

Will that guarantee we stay up, like Norwich have?

9 hours ago, Jourdan said:

Rooney and Martin are our most intelligent players but physically they can’t cope with the pace and demands of regular Championship football, so their influence will only dwindle more and more.

If they’d had more experienced players around them then they easily could, no good player is going to be able to do it all on their own, unless we’re signing Messi?

We need to go up as soon as is possible - I’d have been ecstatic to go up this season - the Premier money spent relatively well easily outweighs spending 2 or 3 years pissing about in the Championship! As exciting as that might be.

5 minutes ago, Red_Dawn said:

You mean, he's not worth 130k per week?

I mean, he’s not on anywhere near that amount. From what I’ve heard it’s no more than 50k a week, which isn’t hugely in excess of some other players wages. But he’s not justifying that with his performances at the moment.

3 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

I mean, he’s not on anywhere near that amount. From what I’ve heard it’s no more than 50k a week, which isn’t hugely in excess of some other players wages. But he’s not justifying that with his performances at the moment.

That bad? You got him for next season?

11 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Marriott was unfortunately the least influential of the lot when he came on.

Knight scored our goal and Lawrence at least tried to assist in defending.

Martin,despite being isolated made the vital contribution to our only goal.

The issue,to my mind,is the lack of two roper quick and tasty wingers....wish we had ward and Russell back in their prime.

Well, it looks like we see things differently then. I'd disagree with your first point, in the time he was on Marriott was closer to a goal then Lawrence was in 90 mins.

Yes, Knight scored our goal when we were on the break, love the lad, but when we were playing through the thirds, as Cocu wants, he was as static as the other 2.

Lawrence job is to be influential in the final third and be a goal threat, we wasn't, all night, and although he 'tried to assist in defending' doesn't make him any less responsible for being static  and non influential up front.

Martin's contribution to the goal was vital one, when we were on the break. When we were playing through the thirds which we did for 99% of the game his lack of movement hindered him and us. You use the term 'isolated' I'd argue that if you are making yourself easy to mark and immobile then you will not be getting the ball most of the time.

As I said, I've been a fan of Martins for a long time, however, this is one part of his game that makes it very difficult for us to be effective with him playing the way we do.

3 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

I remain hopeful that he might look better if Cocu tells the other players he’s not some sort of God and they are allowed to pass the ball to someone other than him

Guys on our forum seem to think your players are viewing him as a get out clause. That if it's not going well, pass to Rooney and he'll get you out of trouble. 

Clearly he still has serious quality, but if he's Plan A, B and C - that's clearly where it goes wrong fast. 

Any truth in that?

Just now, Red_Dawn said:

Guys on our forum seem to think your players are viewing him as a get out clause. That if it's not going well, pass to Rooney and he'll get you out of trouble. 

Clearly he still has serious quality, but if he's Plan A, B and C - that's clearly where it goes wrong fast. 

Any truth in that?

I don’t think it’s quite like that to be honest. They’re young lads who are more than capable of doing things themselves, but because Rooney is on the pitch they seem to feel they have to give him the ball all the time. They need to have more belief in themselves. We battered Blackburn without him, so it’s not like they’re all crap and he’s holding them together anymore (though it was a bit like that until Bird and Sibley came through)

Archived