Cardiff City (A) - Matchday Thread

Sean

6 minutes ago, Sean said:

Longest run of scoring in league games in recent memory and the highest number of goals scored in the league in 2020 until recently and yet we're somehow 'defensive'

Shots pg - 20th

Possession in oppo third - 24th

GD -2

Possession - 6th

Goals - 58 / down from 70 and 74 and 66. 

Not trying to say we are the worst team ever but from what I can see on the pitch and these stats... I think we could do more with the ball. 

• Replies 780
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Archied said:

It just bores me senseless, there have been some games and part games in the second half of this season where the football has been fantastic with great teamwork, great Passing and great movement with some fantastic team goals scored ,with the hand dealt to coca that’s real quality management and coaching , mac has had one decent spell with Derby over the last 10? Years with a hardcore of a team already in place and he’s Jc incarnate?, the man can’t get a job for love nor money and was struggling to get near a managers job before we handed him clough s well built work in progress

As I say,I think you have taken it too literally mate.

(He was our best manager of the past ten years tho??)

rTbCwVwofxcic.gif

Silly booking when our lads did not lose there tempers we probley be in the play offs now the only player I will let is andrew wisdome and Marriott saying first game in some time and I throught roos did a solid job tonight.

It such a shame they have shone they can do it plus lockdown not helped matters eathier.

29 minutes ago, DCFClks said:

Think people are being a little harsh on the squad/manager tbh and comparing Phil to Mac. McClaren had prime Bryson, Martin and Keogh. As well as Hendrick, Hughes and Thorne - A PL quality midfield (an above average PL midfield even)and still didn't get promoted. There were moments in the Brentford game where we were outplaying them with half the team being youth players and if it wasn't for the mistake could have easily got something from that game. The reason we've not played exiting attacking football is because of the complete lack of attacking options during the last 3 games. If you look at his time at PSV, he's not naturally a defensive manager. I think he's actually overachieved this season tbh with all the events of the season. I honestly think with a few decent signings this team could do really well next season.

Which moment were we outplaying Brentford?Must have been when I went for a leak ?

4 minutes ago, Uptherams said:

Funnily enough, you've cut out all the games in 2019  that were awful and the last few that have been utterly awful. First half of the season, the football was as bad and dull as it has been in a decade. We turned it round but unfortunately I think the pressure got to the manager and he became protective because we had a chance at the play offs and we had half decent opponents. Should have stuck to what was working.

Really don't think that's the case.

The reason for the recent downturn is pretty obvious - we've had a run playing the best teams in the league. I also think the Saturday/midweek routine of games is hitting our squad hard - Martin has health issues that mean 2 games a week isn't ideal & Rooney is clearly past his best fitness wise. We've also lost a number of key players through injuries & suspensions.

The football tonight was dull but that had as much to do with the lack of pace, unwillingness to take on defenders & lack of shots as anything. We have enough of a foothold in midfield to punish teams if there was more a cutting edge. Fully believe that's down to the players, not a conscious instruction from the manager.

4 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

I think it's just that we have played those same top teams again and we are a depleted,injury/suspended player ridden side who despite reaching a decent peak pre lockdown,are now,in essence,back where we started,compared to the top six.

I don't think Cocu planned it this way,personally.

It's an age old story in football. Tough set of fixtures ahead, and you plan to take a point here or win a game there, with a completely different style and approach to what was working.

Most people I have spoken to have said the same things. Continue to play the same way and go for decent wins in every remaining fixture and we might get the points we need. Play for draws and 1-0 wins and we won't have any chance. 

In this league, you've just got to go for it. ?

6 minutes ago, Archied said:

It just bores me senseless, there have been some games and part games in the second half of this season where the football has been fantastic with great teamwork, great Passing and great movement with some fantastic team goals scored ,with the hand dealt to coca that’s real quality management and coaching , mac has had one decent spell with Derby over the last 10? Years with a hardcore of a team already in place and he’s Jc incarnate?, the man can’t get a job for love nor money and was struggling to get near a managers job before we handed him clough s well built work in progress

Agree there's been good football. Nobody has called him useless.

Is anyone going on about Mac? Or was he just mentioned because he played good football and people enjoyed it? He had 2 decent spells BTW. He took over from Pearson and steered is towards the play off places after we'd been the lowest scorers in all 4 divisions. If by decent you mean breaking several club records too. Forgive Derby fans for having that fond memory. 

Certainly has been great passing at times. But that's been part of the problem too. Everyone comes short and wants to do some sort of passing exercise. 

5 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

As I say,I think you have taken it too literally mate.

(He was our best manager of the past ten years tho??)

rTbCwVwofxcic.gif

But could he have built that side if given the cheque book or built without a pot to pee in as clough did ,,, I’m not so sure ,, think perhaps he dropped on lucky and had the coaching nouse to make the best of it the off to Newcastle to cash in his chips and a quick sacking ?

1 minute ago, LeedsCityRam said:

Really don't think that's the case.

The reason for the recent downturn is pretty obvious - we've had a run playing the best teams in the league. I also think the Saturday/midweek routine of games is hitting our squad hard - Martin has health issues that mean 2 games a week isn't ideal & Rooney is clearly past his best fitness wise. We've also lost a number of key players through injuries & suspensions.

The football tonight was dull but that had as much to do with the lack of pace, unwillingness to take on defenders & lack of shots as anything. We have enough of a foothold in midfield to punish teams if there was more a cutting edge. Fully believe that's down to the players, not a conscious instruction from the manager.

Surely more of a reason to try and thrash a team one game and conserve/rest the next? The  mindset of we're too stretched and tired to compete in them all, quickly becomes a mindset of we can't compete in any. A league points system doesn't justify this. 

6 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Which moment were we outplaying Brentford?Must have been when I went for a leak ?

maybe not outplaying but at least level between our equalizer and the mistake. considering they were meant to be on unplayable form at the time

28 minutes ago, rammieib said:

Against a very average Cardiff side we’ve created one chance - executed that one chance very well but it’s one chance. A very average Cardiff side created 5 or so good chances. 

I am not sure what any of the positives were tonight - Roos and Clarke?

I thought the defence tonight were very very good, let down by two errors but collectively were worthy of a clean sheet. There isn’t that many times I can say that with honesty this season!

Birds willingness to have the ball in tight spots, be open full backs in tight positions and generally play in triangles was nice to watch. He’s maturing with every game now, feels a bit cliche to compare him to Thorne but it’s that type of player we’ve missed that Bird is making his own,

Sibleys movement up front on the ball, those little turns into space and willingness to attack. He has plenty to learn but a couple of times tonight his movement was class. Also his link up with Martin is getting better and better.

Our goal itself was class, we don’t see moments like that enough but great work from Clarke, Martin’s touch along with Sibleys run were perfect and Knights finish was as confident as you like. We didn’t see it often enough but I think it’s a confidence thing over our actual ability. That lack of confidence means that we overplay rather than effectively play.

As I said before, we were ok. The positives are that there’s something to build on for next season.

8 minutes ago, Uptherams said:

It's an age old story in football. Tough set of fixtures ahead, and you plan to take a point here or win a game there, with a completely different style and approach to what was working.

Most people I have spoken to have said the same things. Continue to play the same way and go for decent wins in every remaining fixture and we might get the points we need. Play for draws and 1-0 wins and we won't have any chance. 

In this league, you've just got to go for it. ?

Agreed

Archived