Cardiff City (A) - Matchday Thread

Sean

Just now, DCFClks said:

They were top scorers in 3/6 seasons he was there, scoring 103 goals in 34 games during the 12/13 season. So if that's defensive I'd take it

They were actually a counter attacking side once they'd taken the lead they would sit back to the frustration of some of their fans. But he was a big success for them and they did score nearly 500 goals in 220 games. 

In his last 60+ games though he has a GD of -11

• Replies 780
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, TuffLuff said:

Birds willingness to have the ball in tight spots, be open full backs in tight positions and generally play in triangles was nice to watch. He’s maturing with every game now, feels a bit cliche to compare him to Thorne but it’s that type of player we’ve missed that Bird is making his own,

I like Bird, but I don't think you can compare him to Thorne. Thorne used to make a huge amount of creative and progressive passes that Bird doesn't choose to attempt most of the time. Definitely the best holding mid we've had since him though. 

12 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Shots pg - 20th

Possession in oppo third - 24th

GD -2

Possession - 6th

Goals - 58 / down from 70 and 74 and 66. 

Not trying to say we are the worst team ever but from what I can see on the pitch and these stats... I think we could do more with the ball. 

Possession in your own half when the opposition are not trying to take the ball off us is really just time wasting. Building from the back only as far as the half way line is really just not knowing how to attack. Not closing down or tackling is really just not defending properly. Not getting wide men to their bye line is really just not having skilful enough wide men. Etc. Four quality players needed. When does next season start. One of WBA, Brentford or Fulham could skate it next year. Some Premier teams with a lot of good players are heading down to us soon. We need to hit the ground running next season. COYR

1 minute ago, Andicis said:

I like Bird, but I don't think you can compare him to Thorne. Thorne used to make a huge amount of creative and progressive passes that Bird doesn't choose to attempt most of the time. Definitely the best holding mid we've had since him though. 

Don’t see Bird and Thorne as similar players at all ?

14 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

On the bright side thought Roos, Clarke, Sibley, Bird, Lawrence and Knight (mistake to one side) were all on a scale of good to very good tonight. It also may be a blessing in disguise and allow us to better prepare for the following season and use the remaining games to get a feel for some of the other U23s and possibly experimenting with how we line up.

Definitely shows how people view games differently. We had one decent shot yet pick out four of the six attackers as playing decent? I thought Bird was extremely poor - fans are disguised by his constant sideways and backwards posession which although retains posession very rarely leads to anything. He needs to step up, drive forward and lead otherwise he won't deliver enough to win games.

Lawrence provided exactly what tonight to gain a good/ very good rating from you? Knights goal was a good way to make up for your error but again, he's a busy little player but I'm trying to work what type of player he is. I'm not convinced we can play him and Sibley.

Roos excellent, Clarke excellent and Sibley showed intent. Sibley makes driving little runs, his first touch to escape a defender is super but Martin and Lawrence will rarely be running the channel. Maybe Marriott will but this will be frustrating to watch.

Just feel for Rooney. He's the smartest player we have but with a lack of quality to come on, its difficult for him.

5 minutes ago, Archied said:

But could he have built that side if given the cheque book or built without a pot to pee in as clough did ,,, I’m not so sure ,, think perhaps he dropped on lucky and had the coaching nouse to make the best of it the off to Newcastle to cash in his chips and a quick sacking ?

Have to say the team performance and work ethic under McClaren was the best since 97-99. The players he signed on loan were also instrumental as well and added the necessary pace and control to Cloughs signings.  We should never have sacked him for Clement either but there you go.  A lot of water, money and managers under the bridge- including one who left a job unfinished for Stamford bridge -since then.  We'll see how Cocu goes next season. 

2 minutes ago, Rampage said:

Possession in your own half when the opposition are not trying to take the ball off us is really just time wasting. Building from the back only as far as the half way line is really just not knowing how to attack. Not closing down or tackling is really just not defending properly. Not getting wide men to their bye line is really just not having skilful enough wide men. Etc. Four quality players needed. When does next season start. One of WBA, Brentford or Fulham could skate it next year. Some Premier teams with a lot of good players are heading down to us soon. We need to hit the ground running next season. COYR

I was watching the Wolves v Everton game on Sunday and what hit me was the pace and tempo the game was played at, slick and precise passing, quick movement and both teams were looking to get forward...it was a joy to watch. The other noticeable thing for Wolves, and I noticed it when I went to see us there in the 2-0 defeat the Nevez goal match, was the width they have. Their wide players actually stand on the touch line. We seem to lack any width at all. What I find slightly frustrating with our style of football is the slow tempo and preference to go backwards rather than forwards. We never really seem to stretch teams or put them under pressure.

1 minute ago, Jimbo Ram said:

We seem to lack any width at all. What I find slightly frustrating with our style of football is the slow tempo and preference to go backwards rather than forwards. We never really seem to stretch teams or put them under pressure.

It's a huge problem for us. Lawrence always wants to come narrow, and the fullbacks don't seem to like overlapping. We're so narrow and predictable. If they flood the middle of the pitch we can't score.

8 minutes ago, Andicis said:

7 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Don’t see Bird and Thorne as similar players at all ?

A maturity to take hold of the ball from the defenders/full backs and look comfortable on the ball in the centre of the pitch even if they don’t have room to play in. I’m not directly comparing every attribute of Bird and Thorne!

1 hour ago, Uptherams said:

With Te Weirk, Bielik and then a new GK, we are going to get considerably better at the back with the ball. That isn't the big issue. It's the lack of dynamic passing and play. The manager thinks we can either pass a team to death or create openings this way. It's not going to happen. By all means we should aim to have possession more than our opponents. But this nonsense needs to stop. 

Tbh Bielik on his initial showings at the back he was a little brash and reckless I think I’d rather he was a little higher up tbh ... 

The new May take time to adapt to the pace of the game.. tbh the same could be said for bielik. I know he played a full year at charlton at league one level but he did at times look way off the pace .. clearly ability on their mind 

We ideally needed to rotate the squad but we simply don't have the options. Some of that self inflicted, some pure bad luck.

I don't think many appreciate the sorry state our squad has ended up in.

Both our keepers are really back up keepers. I like Roos but he won't win back the fans.

We played West Brom without Wisdom, Lawrence, Waghorn,Bielik, Holmes and Marriott. That may well have been most our main team. Is it any surprise we have been flat lately.

Take Grabban and Lolley out of Forest for a few games and see how they do.

12 minutes ago, rammieib said:

Definitely shows how people view games differently. We had one decent shot yet pick out four of the six attackers as playing decent? I thought Bird was extremely poor - fans are disguised by his constant sideways and backwards posession which although retains posession very rarely leads to anything. He needs to step up, drive forward and lead otherwise he won't deliver enough to win games.

Lawrence provided exactly what tonight to gain a good/ very good rating from you? Knights goal was a good way to make up for your error but again, he's a busy little player but I'm trying to work what type of player he is. I'm not convinced we can play him and Sibley.

Roos excellent, Clarke excellent and Sibley showed intent. Sibley makes driving little runs, his first touch to escape a defender is super but Martin and Lawrence will rarely be running the channel. Maybe Marriott will but this will be frustrating to watch.

Just feel for Rooney. He's the smartest player we have but with a lack of quality to come on, its difficult for him.

I agree in that bird really has started to play over cautiously a little of late ... lack of options ahead of him being the most likely answer but overall Iv no problem with how he’s been playing .. every good team needs a water Carrier that u know will keep u on the ball ticking along .. michael carrick made a fantastic career by doing exactly that 

we need better options ahead of him imo 

1 minute ago, NottsRam77 said:

Tbh Bielik on his initial showings at the back he was a little brash and reckless I think I’d rather he was a little higher up tbh ... 

The new May take time to adapt to the pace of the game.. tbh the same could be said for bielik. I know he played a full year at charlton at league one level but he did at times look way off the pace .. clearly ability on their mind 

Agree, I would rather we got Clarke back to partner the Dutch chap and Bielik play further forward. Not sure which will be Cocu’s preferred 2 in the midfield.

I like Cocu and no part of me wants him gone. 

There are some things though that I don't see why we can't say them. He isn't exactly starved of talent with Waghorn, Marriott, Martin, Lawrence, Rooney and Holmes. That's not too bad. 

We don't have players who possess frightening pace and quality. But even so we have players capable of forcing a defence to just have a think about what's going behind them and down the sides. 

Sometimes its the ugly stuff that allows the pretty stuff to go on. Sometimes, like the Forest goal, you have to show another side of your game. Not saying abandon his style at all. Just it doesn't surprise me when teams don't open up to us because we made 20 passes. 

I find the lack of decent efforts on goal a bit tedious and I'm sure even those here defending Cocu against an entirely imagined "Cocu Out" brigade also find it tedious. 

Why say it's good football when its not. Nobody says football under Clement was good. Do we have to wait for Cocu to leave or be sacked to criticise him?

He has done many good things. I can mention them too. But the minute you mention the bad stuff you have people jumping down your throat assuming they know your angle. 

Haven't got an angle. Just don't think we do enough with the ball considering how much of it we have. 

1 hour ago, angieram said:

It is a shame we have come up against our toughest run of fixtures of the season with such a patched up squad. 

If we were mid table we would be sitting back and admiring the progress of the youngsters but our efforts against those mid table sides gave us unexpected hope. This raises expectations that we all find difficult to handle.

The mistakes are frustrating (from one of our least and one of our most experienced players) but overall I thought Cardiff were well worth their win.

Good to see Jack Marriott back out on the field. Let's hope he can get some further minutes in before the season ends and make a good start to next year. I am looking forward to seeing us return next season with a full fit squad and a settled system of playing.

Also it will be interesting to see who Cocu brings in and who goes. 

Kelle Roos had a good game tonight, as did Davies after a few games out. Thought Clarke was great though, despite his one poor touch and he was my man of the match.

Angie I just want to say I enjoy reading your posts. Nearly everything you say I agree with. Well thought and well written consistently ?

2 minutes ago, Alpha said:

There are some things though that I don't see why we can't say them. He isn't exactly starved of talent with Waghorn, Marriott, Martin, Lawrence, Rooney and Holmes. That's not too bad. 

We don't have players who possess frightening pace and quality. But even so we have players capable of forcing a defence to just have a think about what's going behind them and down the sides. 

Sometimes its the ugly stuff that allows the pretty stuff to go on. Sometimes, like the Forest goal, you have to show another side of your game. Not saying abandon his style at all. Just it doesn't surprise me when teams don't open up to us because we made 20 passes. 

I find the lack of decent efforts on goal a bit tedious and I'm sure even those here defending Cocu against an entirely imagined "Cocu Out" brigade also find it tedious. 

Why say it's good football when its not. Nobody says football under Clement was good. Do we have to wait for Cocu to leave or be sacked to criticise him?

He has done many good things. I can mention them too. But the minute you mention the bad stuff you have people jumping down your throat assuming they know your angle. 

Haven't got an angle. Just don't think we do enough with the ball considering how much of it we have. 

Think that is pretty fair. I do think things might look better after Cocu has had a full pre season and can maybe add a couple of players he wants to the squad. I think he has played a really difficult hand reasonably well under the circumstances.

3 minutes ago, Alpha said:

I agree with a lot of that but at this key run in, Holmes has been unfit/injured. Lawrence and Waghorn banned and Marriott injured. Martin and Rooney are screwed. 

Just as the team were getting to grips with how Cocu wanted us to play, lockdown struck. And I don't think it is any surprise our game has slowed down in the main with each game and more mistakes creeping in with tired minds. Mentally this has been a huge time for the younger players.

8 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Think that is pretty fair. I do think things might look better after Cocu has had a full pre season and can maybe add a couple of players he wants to the squad. I think he has played a really difficult hand reasonably well under the circumstances.

Playing the game that we are trying to play, even with no obvious give away goals is unlikely to give us wins over the likes of Leeds and Brentford who play Premier League type football but this may still not save them from coming straight back down. They would get a lot of money to improve their squad though.

10 minutes ago, Alpha said:

I think from an overall perspective we lack a bit of confidence and therefore conviction to break a team down. That’s from having not many partnerships upfront who link well. Martin, Sibley and Knight have probably been the most effective but can be easily stopped as it effectively leans our forward play comes through the centre, plus the fact you are dealing with two players who lack experience. I think Cocu has already identified it but we really miss an effective winger, not just from a crossing perspective but also someone who drags players out to him which makes more space in the centre.

I have hardly any doubts in Cocu and I don’t think we are far off. The goal tonight showed what we could be in for next season, we just need to see more of it.

Archived