Cardiff City (A) - Matchday Thread

Sean

• Replies 780
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

The footballs great for 2 or 3 spells a game (about 10/15 mins worth) the rest is tepid, boring And negative. I think next season Cocu will improve his squad, added to the youngsters being more experienced and we may see a little more attacking flair, maybe 

29 minutes ago, ramboy63 said:

Absolute dismal not won any games against the top six and we do look a mid table side at best,Leeds will give us a right tonking this weekend then Birmingham will need a win to stay up

Cocus keep ball at all costs just does not work in the division and needs to wake up to the fact both goes tonight again came from  trying to be clever

We are a million miles away from The Mac 1 and 2 days,i do appreciate we have some great youngsters coming through but this side needs some major work doing to it in the summer

He's a million miles away from being as good as Mac. He'll get the boot eventually.

9 minutes ago, Uptherams said:

With Te Weirk, Bielik and then a new GK, we are going to get considerably better at the back with the ball. That isn't the big issue. It's the lack of dynamic passing and play. The manager thinks we can either pass a team to death or create openings this way. It's not going to happen. By all means we should aim to have possession more than our opponents. But this nonsense needs to stop. 

Is Bielik any good at centre half ?

Can someone please explain to me (i feel beyond thick here and formation isn't my strong point) why for years, we seem to give the opposition miles of time and space to advance in our half, yet it seems we have to pick out worldie passes and have a few inches room because they are breathing down our necks. 

What is it and why? It never changes and it baffles me as our job looks so much harder as the whole match for us seems like a training exercise warm up where it's hot potato. 

1 minute ago, Andicis said:

It would help if he ever made bold substitutions, they're all too late and too negative. Tonight was a poo or bust game, but we really didn't treat it like that.

What do you propose he should have done tonight? We were lacking width on the right due to Lowe being wrong footed so he brought Bogle on. Knight and Sibley were our only decent attacking players other than Martin so he took them off only when they were knackered. Sometimes I question the subs but I don't think he deserves stick for it after this game.

Strange one to conclude...

I thought we were ok in a game we needed to be exceptional. We aren’t quite there and the last three games before showed that, tonight just confirmed it.

I wrote, but didn’t post, just before Cardiff’s second that if we want this squad to succeed going forward then we need the players to outgrow the idea that a 35 year old Rooney is a central part to this side. I thought tonight went some way towards that with the youngsters outshining Rooney but after the second goal I got concerned that maybe we just brought Rooney down to our level than our youngsters outshining him! The point still stands (just the context with that 90 minutes was lost) you have to expect Rooney will take more of a backseat as next season progresses and Bird, Knight and Sibley continue to improve. I’m ok with how we played, the style and our attitude, we’ve just got to build on it and add that bit more quality in the final third

Just now, lrm14 said:

What do you propose he should have done tonight? We were lacking width on the right due to Lowe being wrong footed so he brought Bogle on. Knight and Sibley were our only decent attacking players other than Martin so he took them off only when they were knackered. Sometimes I question the subs but I don't think he deserves stick for it after this game.

Don't take off the attackers? Take off the defenders? 

Think people are being a little harsh on the squad/manager tbh and comparing Phil to Mac. McClaren had prime Bryson, Martin and Keogh. As well as Hendrick, Hughes and Thorne - A PL quality midfield (an above average PL midfield even)and still didn't get promoted. There were moments in the Brentford game where we were outplaying them with half the team being youth players and if it wasn't for the mistake could have easily got something from that game. The reason we've not played exiting attacking football is because of the complete lack of attacking options during the last 3 games. If you look at his time at PSV, he's not naturally a defensive manager. I think he's actually overachieved this season tbh with all the events of the season. I honestly think with a few decent signings this team could do really well next season.

Just now, Jimbo Ram said:

Is Bielik any good at centre half ?

Good in the air, a tough tackler, great on the ball and a very good passer. I'd say considering the way we play he'd be good. If we were a side that faced onslaughts of attacks I wouldn't because he's not experienced enough and would make one too many mistakes. But we aren't, our defenders don't have to do too much defending. 

Oh dear the every manager except Mac out brigade are surfacing ,,, Easter , the Stone is rolled away , is it Jesus emerging?     Nope it’s some bloke with a dodgy Barnet and a Rosetta Stone Dutch accent ,,,,,,, yawn yawn yawn

1 minute ago, DCFClks said:

Think people are being a little harsh on the squad/manager tbh and comparing Phil to Mac. McClaren had prime Bryson, Martin and Keogh. As well as Hendrick, Hughes and Thorne - A PL quality midfield (an above average PL midfield even)and still didn't get promoted. There were moments in the Brentford game where we were outplaying them with half the team being youth players and if it wasn't for the mistake could have easily got something from that game. The reason we've not played exiting attacking football is because of the complete lack of attacking options during the last 3 games. If you look at his time at PSV, he's not naturally a defensive manager. I think he's actually overachieved this season tbh with all the events of the season. I honestly think with a few decent signings this team could do really well next season.

PSV were defensive with Cocu.

8 minutes ago, Uptherams said:

Exactly. I think people have forgotten just how awful we were in the first half of the season. I got so sick of it, that I called for the manager to change it or go. If we go back to that again, then sorry, again, manager must go. 

Cocu has won over me but a lot of that is the way he has dealt with the off the field antics. He really has had so much to deal with and losing your best defender is a huge problem.

However we must bring in better players who will help us get at teams and offer more goal threat.

Bird isn’t going to score more than a couple given his type of play. Rooney doesn’t seem to even get in positions to shoot so open play goals from him will be nearly nothing. We just aren’t going to open teams up but I prey and hope for a minimum of two new attacking players.

Our bench is so weak - Flojo, first touch again was to run the ball out of play. He’s a three million pound player!!

Nice to see Marriott back - but can he even offer anything in this style of play?

So frustrating - we’ve played four very different teams (Forest, West Brom, Brentford and Cardiff) and each one has applied a different style and we’ve not performed remotely well enough in any of these games.

My concern is whether there is even a budget to bring in anyone else?

38 minutes ago, Alpha said:

I bet in this league we must be up there when it comes to possession and right down there when it comes to possession in the final third and I imagine we're low on shots per game

So easy to defend against. 

Find Cocu quite negative. 

6th for possession. 
24th for final 3rd (action zone in possession).
20th for shots per game. 

1 minute ago, Ghost of Clough said:

6th for possession. 
24th for final 3rd (action zone in possession).
20th for shots per game. 

24th? 
as in 24th out of 24.

bloody hell.

5 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

Strange one to conclude...

I thought we were ok in a game we needed to be exceptional. We aren’t quite there and the last three games before showed that, tonight just confirmed it.

I wrote, but didn’t post, just before Cardiff’s second that if we want this squad to succeed going forward then we need the players to outgrow the idea that a 35 year old Rooney is a central part to this side. I thought tonight went some way towards that with the youngsters outshining Rooney but after the second goal I got concerned that maybe we just brought Rooney down to our level than our youngsters outshining him! The point still stands (just the context with that 90 minutes was lost) you have to expect Rooney will take more of a backseat as next season progresses and Bird, Knight and Sibley continue to improve. I’m ok with how we played, the style and our attitude, we’ve just got to build on it and add that bit more quality in the final third

Against a very average Cardiff side we’ve created one chance - executed that one chance very well but it’s one chance. A very average Cardiff side created 5 or so good chances. 

I am not sure what any of the positives were tonight - Roos and Clarke?

Archived