Cardiff City (A) - Matchday Thread

Sean

• Replies 780
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Once again our build up play was too slow (just like this forum has been for me tonight) and we made silly mistakes that cost us.

I can't understand the decision to leave Rooney on the pitch either, he had his poorest game for us so far and was obviously feeling the pace.

1 minute ago, Alpha said:

I bet in this league we must be up there when it comes to possession and right down there when it comes to possession in the final third and I imagine we're low on shots per game

So easy to defend against. 

Find Cocu quite negative. 

Yup. We're obsessed with never losing the ball. We'll get in with Bogle, or Forsyth, or whoever the full back is, they'll play it back to Bird or Rooney, then it'll go back to a CB then the keeper. And then we have to build up from the back again. I'm no Tom Lawrence fan, but he's one of the only ones who takes a risk. Sibley too. The rest just sit and play passes in front of the defenders. There is no danger of us scoring like that.

Well that’s all folks, seasons over. Don’t think we could ever have expected to have enough this year given everything that’s happened, but it’s still very disappointing how we’ve thrown all our good work since the new year away over the course of the past week. Pretty much solely down to stupid mistakes as well. Really frustrating. Especially in today’s game. Cardiff really weren’t anything special, but we just totally handed them the game on a silver platter because we can’t seem to retain our focus for a 90 minute game of football. I’d be fuming if I was Cocu, because that team didn’t play like the season depended on it. Far too lax and nonchalant, never really showed the fight or desire required to win that game. We got exactly what our play and attitude deserved - nothing.

Got bored of watching that and nodded off.

was just thinkIng  that I’d sub Lawrence and Rooney when he ballsed up.

sloppy start. Lawrence poor. Too passive. Too deep. Then we got on the front foot and had 20 minutes which were very good. Great lay-off by Martin for sibley, great pass.

But there is simply not enough of that. We play too safe, too tame. not enough motivation and fire in the bellies. 

Pretty useless tbh these past four games

3 minutes ago, goldstar said:

Give over, if that was a good performance, Malones barnet is a good decision

I said we played some good stuff, which we did. Not good enough to win the game but I retain enough of a sense of perspective to see some positives.

I can't view the world in black and white.

It is a shame we have come up against our toughest run of fixtures of the season with such a patched up squad. 

If we were mid table we would be sitting back and admiring the progress of the youngsters but our efforts against those mid table sides gave us unexpected hope. This raises expectations that we all find difficult to handle.

The mistakes are frustrating (from one of our least and one of our most experienced players) but overall I thought Cardiff were well worth their win.

Good to see Jack Marriott back out on the field. Let's hope he can get some further minutes in before the season ends and make a good start to next year. I am looking forward to seeing us return next season with a full fit squad and a settled system of playing.

Also it will be interesting to see who Cocu brings in and who goes. 

Kelle Roos had a good game tonight, as did Davies after a few games out. Thought Clarke was great though, despite his one poor touch and he was my man of the match.

1 minute ago, Alpha said:

I bet in this league we must be up there when it comes to possession and right down there when it comes to possession in the final third and I imagine we're low on shots per game

So easy to defend against. 

Find Cocu quite negative. 

The footballs great for 2 or 3 spells a game (about 10/15 mins worth) the rest is tepid, boring And negative. I think next season Cocu will improve his squad, added to the youngsters being more experienced and we may see a little more attacking flair, maybe 

I have to say I would use rooney for half a game hes knackered after half. Let him do his coaching and experience on the youngsters from the training field. I have to say the best game since January was the one he didn't actually play in and that was Blackburn at home.we had pace with bird and shinnie 

Rooney is not the reason we missed out. Didnt see him moaning and groaning but coaching and talking to those around him. Exactly what he came here for. Just take a moment and consider the whole season and all the various events that have hit us. Mother luck left us high and dry for sure. PC has had all manner of things to deal with yet has blooded some of the best talent we have seen for years. Yes they will make mistakes but we simply aren't there yet to challenge for top six and I think we all know that really. Season may be over but next season has already begun for us I feel.

Absolute dismal not won any games against the top six and we do look a mid table side at best,Leeds will give us a right tonking this weekend then Birmingham will need a win to stay up

Cocus keep ball at all costs just does not work in the division and needs to wake up to the fact both goes tonight again came from  trying to be clever

We are a million miles away from The Mac 1 and 2 days,i do appreciate we have some great youngsters coming through but this side needs some major work doing to it in the summer

2 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Yup. We're obsessed with never losing the ball. 

Bang on. And you know why that is, because we know inevitably an individual mistake and we will concede a goal. Its a catch 22.

Archived