Cardiff City (A) - Matchday Thread

Sean

My god,the third insipid performance in a row.

How much do we need a pair of good class wingers?

Rooney needs a long rest,he looked completely out of it today and made more mistakes in one game than the rest of his career combined.

And for all the service they get,we might as well not bother with strikers,we seem content to knock it back and forth between the midfield and the defence before ultimately losing it and conceding.

Roos was good though,one of the very few good points of the game.

• Replies 780
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't mind losing to Brentford or WBA.. I don't like it but they are better footballing sides & better than us (regardless of frustrating errors against both) 

But to lose tonight isnt acceptable. Cardiff arnt great. We gifted them a win but we really should be throwing everything at them to get back in it.. Looked like we had zero urgency or desire to get back in it 

3 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

I said we played some good stuff, which we did. Not good enough to win the game but I retain enough of a sense of perspective to see some positives.

I can't view the world in black and white.

Fair enough didn't see that. 

2 minutes ago, angieram said:

It is a shame we have come up against our toughest run of fixtures of the season with such a patched up squad. 

If we were mid table we would be sitting back and admiring the progress of the youngsters but our efforts against those mid table sides gave us unexpected hope. This raises expectations that we all find difficult to handle.

The mistakes are frustrating (from one of our least and one of our most experienced players) but overall I thought Cardiff were well worth their win.

Good to see Jack Marriott back out on the field. Let's hope he can get some further minutes in before the season ends and make a good start to next year. I am looking forward to seeing us return next season with a full fit squad and a settled system of playing.

Also it will be interesting to see who Cocu brings in and who goes. 

Kelle Roos had a good game tonight, as did Davies after a few games out. Thought Clarke was great though, despite his one poor touch and he was my man of the match.

As ever @angieram I don’t think Phil could sum up better. Pre season not too far off either ?

2 minutes ago, Barney1991 said:

I love Martin but he is not the answer for the way cocu wants to play. If its not into feet he's not got that turn of pace now everything goes by him and we don't run off him at all like Bryan and hendrick used to do  need a big tall pacey striker like a younger Cameron Jerome who's actually a lot better 

How does Cocu want to play? Because nobody does anything behind the defensive line. Everything we do is in front of opponents. The ball stops at every single player and a formal declaration of our intent to score is emailed to the opposition manager before we eventually do something that might end in a shot. 

Cocu could use numerous players to work the area behind the oppo back 4. We are so slow and negative in possession that any striker considering making a run would just be wasting energy.

5 minutes ago, Alpha said:

I bet in this league we must be up there when it comes to possession and right down there when it comes to possession in the final third and I imagine we're low on shots per game

So easy to defend against. 

Find Cocu quite negative. 

I’ve said the same quite a few times and got pelters for it. Cocu is, IMO, an objectively negative manager. He sets up to counter the oppositions tactics and try and win 1-0 or 2-0. You’re never gonna see McClaren esque football while he’s in charge. Not that that’s necessarily a bad thing, nor is Cocu a bad manager. We’re just never gonna go anywhere making defensive mistakes playing this style of football. Keep clean sheets, and it can be very successful mind. Just think people are deluding themselves if they think we’re gonna see Cruyff esque Barcelona type football. Cocu has never been about that. I’d rather a more attack minded manager, but you can’t deny the job Cocu has done so far.

4 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Got bored of watching that and nodded off.

was just thinkIng  that I’d sub Lawrence and Rooney when he ballsed up.

sloppy start. Lawrence poor. Too passive. Too deep. Then we got on the front foot and had 20 minutes which were very good. Great lay-off by Martin for sibley, great pass.

But there is simply not enough of that. We play too safe, too tame. not enough motivation and fire in the bellies. 

Pretty useless tbh these past four games

Wasn't it paul simpson who was the man to get Mac to take risks and go for a balls out attack back in 2014?

We desperately need someone to kick Cocu up the arse now and again to produce something similar when we go into slow motion as per tonight.

2 minutes ago, ramboy63 said:

Absolute dismal not won any games against the top six and we do look a mid table side at best,Leeds will give us a right tonking this weekend then Birmingham will need a win to stay up

Cocus keep ball at all costs just does not work in the division and needs to wake up to the fact both goes tonight again came from  trying to be clever

We are a million miles away from The Mac 1 and 2 days,i do appreciate we have some great youngsters coming through but this side needs some major work doing to it in the summer

Neither goal was due due to our tactics, just an underhit pass from Knight and a shockingly poor decision from Rooney to take a player on as last man. 

6 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Got bored of watching that and nodded off.

was just thinkIng  that I’d sub Lawrence and Rooney when he ballsed up.

sloppy start. Lawrence poor. Too passive. Too deep. Then we got on the front foot and had 20 minutes which were very good. Great lay-off by Martin for sibley, great pass.

But there is simply not enough of that. We play too safe, too tame. not enough motivation and fire in the bellies. 

Pretty useless tbh these past four games

Lawrence poor??

I'm not that dismayed, given the start to the season midtable is pretty good. Important we judge in the appropriate context of how many obstacles Cocu has had thrown at the team this year, and that is to say a lot.

It is ofc naturally disappointing when it looked like we had a chance to make playoffs. But perhaps we didn't all all, a needed reality check to level us for the task at hand next year; we've been put to bed this past week or so by the teams above us. I guess the encouraging thing is some of the fixes are so obvious it is not like we're at a loss as to how to improve. A competent and consistent goalkeeper being the obvious one.

Not sure what to say about that.

At times we are very easy on the eye, but we lack an incisive instinct and end up playing the ball around in front of two banks of four with players playing far too safe and not moving.

The fact that Cardiff aren’t much more than an average Champ side and our ability to shoot ourselves in the foot on an alarming game by game basis leaves a sour taste after an ok performance.

Last two games are free hits now, time to give a couple more youngsters a taste of 1st team action. 

There’s plenty of work to do for next season but Cocus done a good job in very trying circumstances and isnt far off Lampards points total from last season despite not making the playoffs!

Please lord, give Brenford the strength to ensure Forest make it to the Premier League.

Rooney was on the beach, conceded another awful early goal. Cardiff were average. Roll on next season.

FWIW it’s probably a blessing in disguise we didn’t reach the playoffs. Gives us the time we desperately need to get the squad in order for next season. We’d have only got hammered by Brentford over two legs - the last few games have shown us that much. We’re so painfully short on attacking quality that we may as well have not bothered turning up. Really needs addressing in the summer.

Our form vs the top 6 is cause for concern. The fact that we haven't beaten any team in the top 6 the entire season is a big problem, we can't just be beating the shitty lower half teams and expect to get anywhere. Cocu's negative tactics are partially to blame for our abysmal record vs top teams. 

1 minute ago, Andicis said:

Sad to think that almost every season we've regressed since then. Would still have him back in a heartbeat. 

If we have to lose,I must admit I used much prefer the score being 5-4 with my heart in my mouth at 92 minutes rather than the type of drawn out,dull,affairs we have suffered from lately.

I'm pretty sure even our players looked bored tonight.

Archived