Tribunal Update

Shipley Ram

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Burtonram2066 said:

Whatever this outcome there needs to be a greater look at football finances - FFP / P&S / whatever acronym they decide to use next just isn't working (there are far greater problems with the EFL which I am sure there must be multiple students writing dissertations on as you wouldn't struggle to make your word count) 

There's an important distinction buried in there. FFP is what they called it originally. Financial Fair Play. Rules designed to try and level the playing field financially, so that clubs with less money weren't disadvantaged

That didn't really work, so they changed the focus, and therefore the acronym to P&S - profit and sustainability. Now aimed at making sure that clubs didn't overspend and end up in financial trouble

That's also not really worked, because as Mel said a couple of times in the media. "If I want to spend my fortune on a football club, and I'm prepared to write that money off, then why is that the EFLs problem to solve?"

What we're essentially charged with is not following some abitrary rules that had a nebulous intent. That's melon-farming bulldust(to quote Eddie Murphy in a 1987 TV re-run of Beverley Hills Cop)

In anticipation of today’s potential decision it would be interesting to see where opinion lies on...

- Receiving a transfer embargo and no points deduction (i.e a season developing the youth with a much lower risk of relegation).

OR

- Receiving a points deduction but be free to trade players (i.e continue building Cocu’s vision with the prospect of promotion delayed another season).

Not sure if either is particularly favourable to potential investors.

1 hour ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

They either need to abolish parachute payments, or allow clubs not in receipt of parachute payments to lose more.

I think Derby are now the longest serving team in the championship (is this correct), when you compare the money West Brom or Fulham or Cardiff or Middlesbrough have had thrown at them over the years compared to us and WE are the ones up in court, madness.

We are joint longest serving with our friends down the A52. We're both on 13 seasons in a row, but at least our run started with relegation from the Prem rather than promotion from league 1. I think Brum are the next longest on 10.

Parachutes could work, but not in the current form or with the same FFP system. I dont know a solution, but i dont think they should be used for transfers and there needs to be some commitment to reduce the wage bill.

5 minutes ago, Rab a dab doo said:

The tension today is unbearable you can 'feel' it all over the city 

It's worse than waiting for the missus to give birth 

And just like waiting for the missus to give birth, nothing will happen ?

I'm sure when Sheff Weds decison was looming the media were all over it, they knew it was about to be released, there has been nothing about ours.

As much as I want it announced so we can move on, I can see it dragging out.

6 minutes ago, GenBr said:

I dont know a solution

That's because there isn't one. And even if you did know a solution, it wouldn't matter

The rules are decided by the EFL clubs themselves, they vote on the rules. The EFL is made up of it's membership.

So there will never be a working solution, because you have a complete mix of teams with varying sizes of fanbase, size of ground, wealth of owners, parachute payments etc etc.

That's why it's ended up with the current set of stupid rules. A commitee decision that doesn't really work for anyone

35 minutes ago, SchtivePesley said:

That's because there isn't one. And even if you did know a solution, it wouldn't matter

The rules are decided by the EFL clubs themselves, they vote on the rules. The EFL is made up of it's membership.

So there will never be a working solution, because you have a complete mix of teams with varying sizes of fanbase, size of ground, wealth of owners, parachute payments etc etc.

That's why it's ended up with the current set of stupid rules. A commitee decision that doesn't really work for anyone

I think EFL clubs are having a vote today regarding the introduction of a wage cap

Archived