Tribunal Update

Shipley Ram

6 hours ago, SchtivePesley said:

That's because there isn't one. And even if you did know a solution, it wouldn't matter

The rules are decided by the EFL clubs themselves, they vote on the rules. The EFL is made up of it's membership.

So there will never be a working solution, because you have a complete mix of teams with varying sizes of fanbase, size of ground, wealth of owners, parachute payments etc etc.

That's why it's ended up with the current set of stupid rules. A commitee decision that doesn't really work for anyone

As the old saying goes “ A camel is a horse designed by a committee “

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Gaspode said:

Oh I believe the PFA will claim it’s illegal - I just doubt there is any substance to their words....

The are probably looking at it from a restraint of trade angle.

The market should set wages, not a trade organisation will be the argument.

1 minute ago, G STAR RAM said:

Surely the clubs are the market?

The PFA will argue that a maximum loss, like the championship regs, allow P&S concerns to be met without directly limiting players wages.

The overall effect would be similar, but that would be my guess.

5 minutes ago, reverendo de duivel said:

The are probably looking at it from a restraint of trade angle.

The market should set wages, not a trade organisation will be the argument.

It’s a members club though and if they all agree to stick to it there is nothing the PFA can do about it but there will always be one that doesn’t or won’t 

6 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

It’s a members club though and if they all agree to stick to it there is nothing the PFA can do about it but there will always be one that doesn’t or won’t

It is a member's club, but they still have to obey the laws of the land.

To me it just seems a bit daft to set a limit on salary spending without taking income into account.

It saves the higher income clubs a few quid, and may still be too much of a stretch for the smaller teams to compete on a so called level playing field.

5 minutes ago, reverendo de duivel said:

It is a member's club, but they still have to obey the laws of the land.

To me it just seems a bit daft to set a limit on salary spending without taking income into account.

It saves the higher income clubs a few quid, and may still be too much of a stretch for the smaller teams to compete on a so called level playing field.

Basing anything on income is what we should all be against.

I don't think a salary cap is the answer to levelling the playing field. The differences are going to be less pronounced in the lower leagues, but I can't see how one rate for a club like West Brom earning £70 mill in revenue and the same rate for the teams near the bottom of the Championship who don't even breach £10 mill per season is going to have any effect on sustainability. Its either set too high and the poorer teams don't reach the limit without bankruptcy or its set too low and the relegated Prem teams are immediately punished for not reducing the wage bill fast enough. If the relegated teams get a grace period as they do for FFP then we shouldn't even bother in the first place.

19 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

How about a salary cap limited to 100% of the lowest income in the division?

Then every club would be striving to improve the league.

You can’t be serious on that one? ?

When little old Burton Albion stumble into the Championship, we would all be under transfer embargo’s as they 50 or so fans 

Gary Neville had it right I reckon. he said whoever owns a club and signs off on the contracts should be on the hook for them if it all goes breasts skyward. Whether it's FFP, P&S or whatever, to say Mel, or anyone else can't spend their money as they see fit is never ever going to be sustainable. as long as there is a genuine competition in place.

3 hours ago, sage said:

I thought the EFL had valued it at £60m (after agreeing a valuation of £80m)

I don't know how good Brentford's new stadium is? But it is quoted, that it cost £71M to build and only holds 17,250. I know that the cost of property/land might be more expensive in London than the East Midlands. But does it have the same amount of facilities that Pride park have. I doubt it, and if it boils down to the actual sale of our stadium and an EFL representative value? I think we have a case to answer, this is probably why the so called board (which is picked by the EFL and must contain one lawyer) have taken so long to come up with an answer. The construction cost alone was £23m for Pride Park back in 1997 and that was 23 years ago!!! Since then we have filled in 2 corners of the ground and built on extra bits.

3 minutes ago, plymouthram said:

I don't know how good Brentford's new stadium is? But it is quoted, that it cost £71M to build and only holds 17,250. I know that the cost of property/land might be more expensive in London than the East Midlands. But does it have the same amount of facilities that Pride park have. I doubt it, and if it boils down to the actual sale of our stadium and an EFL representative value? I think we have a case to answer, this is probably why the so called board (which is picked by the EFL and must contain one lawyer) have taken so long to come up with an answer. The construction cost alone was £23m for Pride Park back in 1997 and that was 23 years ago!!! Since then we have filled in 2 corners of the ground and built on extra bits.

OOPS, just checked the cost it was £28m not £23m for the build

14 minutes ago, David said:

You can’t be serious on that one? ?

When little old Burton Albion stumble into the Championship, we would all be under transfer embargo’s as they 50 or so fans 

Get a proper tv deal and number of fans would be irrelevant 

Archived