Tribunal Update

Shipley Ram

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are they angry because they think it was a total waste of time and resource and money for the EFL to pursue a case they were never likely to win? Or is it because they didn't get the expected outcome.

I can't tell from the article the differentiation between the 2 scenarios

5 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Playing devils advocate here, as I dont like rubbing fellow supporters noses in it too much.

I guess their argument would be that we have had to relinquish one of our most important assets just to meet P&S rules and, if reports are to be believed will only receive the money for that over a period of 8 years.

Personally, I have no issues with it as MM assured that there were various clauses attached to the lease which makes it akin to still being our property and I'm happy to take them words at face value.

DCFC did sell the stadium to satisfy FFP that is without doubt. we had a couple of years where spending was out of control, particularly wages and it caught up on us, financially it wasn't our  finest moment. Mel has attempted to redress the financial problems over the last couple of years but in the end it could only be done through the sale of PP.

Was it bending the rules, yes, but not breaking them and we are not the only ones to have done it. People might not like what has happened but it was legal.

If SWFC had been better with their admin they would have been ok as well. I hope that the 12 points doesn't relegate them next year.

on another note I wonder how many potential transfers we have lost out to because of the soft embargo and how much extra we might have to pay because we couldn't land our first targets?  

Just now, Tyler Durden said:

Are they angry because they think it was a total waste of time and resource and money for the EFL to pursue a case they were never likely to win? Or is it because they didn't get the expected outcome.

Think the EFL and other clubs all secretly thought "yas we got them ha ha ha" and are raging they didn't get the result they wanted.

The waste of time factor is probably secondary.

1 minute ago, Tyler Durden said:

I think the bit in the article title refers to the former.
The article also mentions that there are also clubs who fall into the latter, though:
"Separately, just as many club bosses have been left frustrated at the panel's decision, after they pushed the EFL to take punitive action against Derby."

Another thing to remember about all this is, only a couple of clubs actually have it in for us. The majority do not. What the fans say on Twitter, however, is a completely different story. Almost as if the fellow clubs knew the EFL had no leg to stand on after signing off on our dealings.

20 minutes ago, Topram said:

A3645B49-E7A0-4800-A56B-881745A3ACD0.png

So according to Sky, our legal costs will be met by the EFL (a cost passed onto the member clubs) as 'the losing side'. Had thought this not to be the case.

Now going to have another beer and raise my glass to Steve Gibson for helping meet our costs. Jolly decent of you squire! 

giphy.gif

6 hours ago, David said:

Does Mel Morris still have questions to answer from some fans? Just checking. 

I was out drinking in Lincoln for a mates birthday when the news dropped, couldn’t be happier not just for the club, but for him personally. 

He’s taken some stick in this thread before a guilty verdict from an independent tribunal was heard, bizarre when you stop to think what he has done for this club.

Thank you Mel, some of us never doubted you and are greatly appreciative of your ownership and how you have conducted yourself not just through this farce of an investigation but throughout your tenure.

Oh and to the incompetent EFL, Gibson, Kieran Maguire, wally from Barnsley, Leeds, Forest, Bristol City and QPR fans?

I wouldn't put myself in any particular camp when it comes to MM. I wasn't happy about the fact that we were in that position in the first place, and it's still not ideal. My argument then was that, regardless of his positive intentions in spending all that money in 15/16, the blame for the fact that it failed and led to financial difficulties has to fall at his door. As a hugely successful businessman, I'm sure he's no stranger to accountability and will be fully aware of the fact that people will look to him as the cause of any 'failures'. You can look at Sam Rush, Paul Clement, Nigel Pearson, etc, but he ultimately hired them and put his trust in them, which turned out to be a mistake. But it was his mistake.

Now, if you use that reasoning to criticise him, you have to apply it equally when good things happen to us. I'm pretty sure I said at the time, and I reiterated this in the forum zoom the other day: if we lose the case, he deserves criticism, and if we win the case then he deserves praise. Again, he's the big boss and success and failure should be attributed to him as such.

Thankfully, we won the case, so he absolutely deserves praise for the clever way he handled the difficult financial situation we found ourselves in. It doesn't erase the fact that we shouldn't have been in that situation in the first place, but he's done an excellent job of getting us out of a hole. Far more important now is the excellent work he's doing with the academy, for which he's rightfully getting a lot of praise.

Before the outcome of the hearing, I was probably 50/50 on Morris. Now I'm 70/30 in favour.

9 minutes ago, RandomAccessMemory said:

Wonder if we sue and win does that money also come from the same clubs? Or EFL's cash reserves (do they have any)?

I honestly believe it was some of them kicking up a fuss that started this whole thing, if they and the other clubs have to pay for it then it might stop all this backstabbing that's been going on.

I had a look for that at companies house a couple of months back. If I remember correctly, their latest accounts (18/19) stated they had about £100m in the bank.

Edit: 

image.png.cc39aac7890afef1bf51e2ee9b587acf.png

However...
Net (liabilities)/assets of (2,586,865)

Just now, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

It would be fair if only the clubs pushing them to bring a case against us had to share the legal costs.

It would, but maybe if it's all of them there will be more pushing them not to, to tip the balance back. In the long run I think that would be a good thing, no one should want them to be making frivolous charges against clubs.

I can't help but think if certain clubs had to share the costs they'd do it when they get jealous and decide to spit their dummies out even if they knew they were onto a loser, just to be spiteful.

9 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

FE27DA82-CF6D-428A-BBF0-7ED24A4B69A4.jpeg

I keep beating the same drum with regards the EFL, however...

It seems as though they have lived under a rock these last 5 months, as though this pandemic didnt happen, like it didn't bring crippling debts to clubs and could ultimately spell the end for a lot of clubs.

They could have come out with measures to help its members, such as allowing extra losses due to loss of revenue for the next couple of years...but they havent.

Instead, whilst we were knee deep in lockdown the EFL appealed against Birminghams not guilty verdict, for a second time, at what cost? And with what outcome?

This Derby charge has been long winded and probably added more stress on fans than was needed, but boy was it worth it. Finally our not guilty verdict is showing up their utter incompetence and now clubs are uniting against them, save for the pathetic few.

Patience is a virtue I feel.

1 hour ago, Ramslad1992 said:

If I were Mel i’d Sue the EFL to cost them all even more money... but in a class act I’d use the money raised to sponsor the Football league trophy and brand it the ‘up yours Gibson trophy.’

Nice, but could we simply use the gained sue pot to sponsor an advertising hoarding at every ‘friendly’ Championship club. That would mean  Gibbo et al would effectively pay double and we build bridges. Answers on a post card for the wording. 

Archived