Live football thread.

Rev

Just now, Marriott Ram99 said:

Southgate is the Phillip Cocu of international football lets be honest. Thinks about the opposition more than going for games, questionable team selection, seems a gentleman but also not a real inspirational leader and is not suitable for the job all in all. 

Out of interest, how many managers have not had fans questioning their team selection?   Also I would add, what evidence do you have to prove he isn't an inspirational leader? 

Just now, sage said:

Out of interest, how many managers have not had fans questioning their team selection?   Also I would add, what evidence do you have to prove he isn't an inspirational leader? 

Alot do but some have extremely questionable team selections where as others only have occasional questioning. Not so much clear evidence but a hunch based upon his relaxed demeanour and personality with him also being known as a quiet and reserved type as a player. Sometimes when your talking to not the brightest bunch you don't need an articulate communicator like Cocu also seems you need more strong leadership Ferguson style. If we were 3-0 down in a tournament I don't think we could turn it around, maybe under a stronger more authoritative character we could but that's just my opinion. 

5 minutes ago, sage said:

So no evidence. Fair enough.

What team would you have picked last night?

Well the players don't seem to find him much of a motivator to be honest, he isn't a tactician and it is questionable if he's a top man manager just seems an FA spokesperson who speaks a good game but that doesn't translate to the actual reality. Also abit similar to Rowett, says alot but its questionable if its implemented. 

Would go for a 4 man defence with

Pope

Walker Keane Mings Chilwell 

Henderson 

Bellingham Winks 

Sancho    Kane   Grealish 

Edited by Marriot Ram99

2 minutes ago, Marriott Ram99 said:

Well the players don't seem to find him much of a motivator to be honest, he isn't a tactician and it is questionable if he's a top man manager just seems an FA spokesperson who speaks a good game but that doesn't translate to the actual reality. Also abit similar to Rowett, says alot but its questionable if its implemented. 

Pope

Henderson 

Bellingham Winks 

So you would have started with Sancho, Keane and Winks who all played 90 minutes 3 days earlier? and a 17 year old who has started around 3 games at the top level ahead of Mount. I must say I have to question those selections.

How would you motivate them?

I didn't realise he wasn't a tactician either. What evidence have you got of this? 

1 hour ago, sage said:

So you would have started with Sancho, Keane and Winks who all played 90 minutes 3 days earlier? and a 17 year old who has started around 3 games at the top level ahead of Mount. I must say I have to question those selections.

How would you motivate them?

I didn't realise he wasn't a tactician either. What evidence have you got of this? 

For a centre back you should be able to play every few days because you don't do the intense running, Winks possibly could be replaced by someone else depending on his fitness and as for Sancho, you start your best players then you can always sub them off with 20-25 minutes to go to avoid injury or fatigue.  As  for Bellingham he has more talent than Mount as a box to box CM no matter how many games he has played, he's strong, good in the tackle and a proper midfielder who should be an elite midfielder if he fulfills his promise that's the sort of player you give game time to so they develop even quicker Mount is obviously quality but he's not a CM in my eyes he's a 10, Bellingham could do a job even at fullback with his range of skills. Hard for me to say Southgate is wrong without watching training I will admit because Bellingham could be playing badly in training and Rice could be playing out his skin, but for me going forward Dier and Rice should not be playing and especially not in the same team. 

Maybe I'm wrong about the motivation side of things as it's just a preconceived idea of him, I do stand by the fact I'm not convinced with him tactically and would prefer an elite manager like an Ancelotti even if they are not English. 

Edited by Marriot Ram99

7 minutes ago, Marriott Ram99 said:

For a centre back you should be able to play every few days because you don't do the intense running, Winks possibly could be replaced by someone else depending on his fitness and as for Sancho, you start your best players then you can always sub them off with 20-25 minutes to go to avoid injury or fatigue.  As  for Bellingham he has more talent than Mount as a box to box CM no matter how many games he has played, he's strong, good in the tackle and a proper midfielder who should be an elite midfielder if he fulfills his promise that's the sort of player you give game time to so they develop even quicker Mount is obviously quality but he's not a CM in my eyes he's a 10, Bellingham could do a job even at fullback with his range of skills. Hard for me to say Southgate is wrong without watching training I will admit because Bellingham could be playing badly in training and Rice could be playing out his skin, but for me going forward Dier and Rice should not be playing and especially not in the same team. 

Maybe I'm wrong about the motivation side of things as it's just a preconceived idea of him, I do stand by the fact I'm not convinced with him tactically and would prefer an elite manager like an Ancelotti even if they are not English. 

Yes but it doesn't stop you.

You are standing by an opinion. Not a fact. 

How did we do with elite Cappello by the way?

I get that Southgate has made some questionable decisions of late, but it's ludicrous to call for him to be sacked IMO.

Manager shouldn't be judged on Nations League performances; they should be judged on major tournaments. In our last major tournament, we got to a World Cup Semi Final (yes, we were set piece merchants, and yes we lost when we came up against top opposition, but it was still a relatively successful tournament).

He deserves a crack at the Euros, at least.

27 minutes ago, sage said:

Yes but it doesn't stop you.

You are standing by an opinion. Not a fact. 

How did we do with elite Cappello by the way?

Capello didn't have the personality you need the combination of the two to be a top manager at international level. Capello was fantastic in Italy but managing England is different. I'm an allowed an opinion, I'm not forcing it on anyone. Footballs like having an opinion on Art or Film you might think something or someone is rubbish and someone has the opposite view but neither can be completely wrong unless you have a lunatic style opinion such as Tony Pulis should be the new Barcelona manager and Derby should look to appoint Robbie Savage. 

Edited by Marriot Ram99

1 minute ago, Marriott Ram99 said:

Capello didn't have the personality you need the combination of the two to be a top manager at international level. Capello was fantastic in Italy but managing England is different. I'm an allowed an opinion, I'm not forcing it on anyone. Footballs like having an opinion on Art or Film you might think something or someone is rubbish and someone has the opposite view but neither can be completely wrong unless you have a lunatic style opinion such as Tony Pulis should be the new Barcelona manager and Derby should look to appoint Robbie Savage. 

Yes everyone has an opinion. Always a good idea to have some evidence to back it up though.

12 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

I get that Southgate has made some questionable decisions of late, but it's ludicrous to call for him to be sacked IMO.

Manager shouldn't be judged on Nations League performances; they should be judged on major tournaments. In our last major tournament, we got to a World Cup Semi Final (yes, we were set piece merchants, and yes we lost when we came up against top opposition, but it was still a relatively successful tournament).

I think he deserves a crack but honestly think its borderline a waste of time if he keeps making similar decisions, beating lower ranked sides is not a big achievement yes it was great at the time but for Southgate to do a decent job we have to beat the good teams. We could have post man pat as manager and I'd expect us to beat most sides as entitled as that sounds. 

4 minutes ago, sage said:

Yes everyone has an opinion. Always a good idea to have some evidence to back it up though.

It's sometimes hard to have evidence for things not based of a cause and effect type relationship or something clear as day, sometimes premonition or common sense beats science,  I had a feeling about Cocu being bad based upon what I could see in front of my eyes  very early on and it turned out correct. 

Edited by Marriot Ram99

9 minutes ago, Marriott Ram99 said:

It's sometimes hard to have evidence for things not based of a cause and effect type relationship or something clear as day, sometimes premonition or common sense beats science,  I had a feeling about Cocu being bad based upon what I could see in front of my eyes  very early on and it turned out correct. 

You are Dominic Cummings and I claim my £5. 

2 hours ago, sage said:

Not at all. The dictionary definition of opinion is  “a view or judgement formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.”  Many opinions stem from what a person feels about an issue. 

4 hours ago, Marriott Ram99 said:

Pope

Henderson 

Bellingham Winks 

There's zero chance Bellingham gets in the squad with everyone fully fit and available. But to consider him a starter is ridiculous at this point in time.

We've looked our best over the past few years when we've played with a back 5.For me, that has to be: TAA   Gomez   Maguire   Mings   Chilwell

Midfield is a tough one, with the likes of Henderson, Winks, Rice, Phillips, Mount, Ward-Prowse with the most likely options. Also Barkley in a more advanced role if we change formation.

I agree with your front 3, but it's tough choosing the backup due to so many options.

On 16/11/2020 at 18:15, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Was a lucky blooming draw was what it was. We either played pub teams (panama, Tunisia), scraped past ok teams missing their best player (colombia) or got beaten by any decent team we came up against. 

I didn’t view it as a tournament in which we performed well.