Live football thread.

Rev

2 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

I guess you mean the goal celebration? But they've all tested negative.

Fair comment.  ?

Do every single one of them get tested, or just samples from each club?
When was their last test?  Minutes before the game?  This morning?  Yesterday?

Not being arsey... genuine questions, seeing as you brought up a good(?) point I'd forgotten to consider.

Either way, in this day and age of prem players allegedly being role models to the youngsters... 

1 hour ago, Millenniumram said:

I’d be very interested to hear an interview with the officials... shame we can’t get one. As for Dean Smith, he will know he’s stolen a point there, but he won’t care - and rightly so, it’s not his job to make up for the incompetence of officiating in this country.

Best officials in the world in the UK - shame some won't accept nothing more than perfection from them. I agree they should be able to talk. I would mic them up so we can hear them in action. Also with regards goal line tech - 1 mistake in 7 years isn't that shabby of a record. 

2 hours ago, Gaspode said:

I thought they brought in the technology to assist the officials, not replace them - Ref may have not been able to see, but the linesman should have seen it and VAR officials should have seen it. Since VAR came in they’ve started using technology as an excuse for incompetence - rather than decisions being more accurate and more reliable we’re actually seeing more mistakes as officials duck their responsibilities.....

Don't duck their responsibilities - they are under much more scrutiny than ever before. I think it's about time some pundits, fans, clubs and players take some effin responsibility with how they conduct themselves..... they wanted all this technology - be careful what you wish for if people want a official to be a robot. 

1 hour ago, LazloW said:

Have seen a few tweets alluding to the Leeds match, but I genuinely can’t recall what happened (have Swiss cheese for a brain when it comes to non-dcfc related footy). Could somebody enlighten me (and pardon my ignorance!)

Villa had a man down - Leeds quite rightly played on when Villa had (wrongly stopped). They scored - Villa got angry at Leeds and Bielsa ordered his players to stand aside so Villa could equalize. Looking back I think I'm wrong to compare and we should all accept, some you get, some you don't. Blame pundits et al for the way football has become win at all costs and no mistakes can be made.

8 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

Villa had a man down - Leeds quite rightly played on when Villa had (wrongly stopped). They scored - Villa got angry at Leeds

I think it was the pretending they were going to kick the ball out that got Villa angry. 

15 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

Best officials in the world in the UK - shame some won't accept nothing more than perfection from them. I agree they should be able to talk. I would mic them up so we can hear them in action. Also with regards goal line tech - 1 mistake in 7 years isn't that shabby of a record. 

I’ve been watching a lot of German football and the officiating there seems to be at a far higher standard, ditto with the couple of Italian games I’ve seen. I certainly don’t expect perfection, but some of the errors that are made are simply unbelievable sometimes - particularly from VAR referees with access to multiple angles. It’s just not good enough. Goal line technology should be absolutely fool proof imo, though I suspect the error for that tonight lies with some tech bloke somewhere.

45 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

I’ve been watching a lot of German football and the officiating there seems to be at a far higher standard, ditto with the couple of Italian games I’ve seen. I certainly don’t expect perfection, but some of the errors that are made are simply unbelievable sometimes - particularly from VAR referees with access to multiple angles. It’s just not good enough. Goal line technology should be absolutely fool proof imo, though I suspect the error for that tonight lies with some tech bloke somewhere.

let it go GIF

8 hours ago, Mafiabob said:

Villa had a man down - Leeds quite rightly played on when Villa had (wrongly stopped). They scored - Villa got angry at Leeds and Bielsa ordered his players to stand aside so Villa could equalize. Looking back I think I'm wrong to compare and we should all accept, some you get, some you don't. Blame pundits et al for the way football has become win at all costs and no mistakes can be made.

Leeds didn't play on the same sense as Derby played on at The City Ground.  We made our intentions very clear that we were playing on.  Nigel screamed from the touchline for us to play on.  Nobody was under any illusions that we may kick the ball out for a respite.

Leeds v Villa, on the other hand, painted a slightly different picture of their intentions, once the ball came out towards the side line... but wait...

Thought it was terrible to watch in an empty stadium. I kept hearing this is the new norm, no it isn’t, this is just where we are now. I’m sure Sky would love this to be the new normal, no fans in grounds = more subscribers for them. Then Gary Neville comments about this is how we should schedule all seasons, meaning 2/3 games from Thursday to Monday. I can see big changes on the back of all this driven by sky and it’s going to destroy the game I love even more. I hope we never get promoted to the Premier League !  

9 hours ago, Mafiabob said:

Don't duck their responsibilities - they are under much more scrutiny than ever before. I think it's about time some pundits, fans, clubs and players take some effin responsibility with how they conduct themselves..... they wanted all this technology - be careful what you wish for if people want a official to be a robot. 

So why did the ref point at his watch and his earpiece if he wasn’t ducking his responsibilities? He even has a screen at the side of the pitch that he could have looked at, but he decided to play on because the tech didn’t tell him to stop. The ref should be deciding when he needs help to make a decision and using all of the tools at his disposal to make the right decision - last night he failed to do that - mainly as a result of the way VAR has been implemented to oversee him rather than help....

29 minutes ago, Gaspode said:

So why did the ref point at his watch and his earpiece if he wasn’t ducking his responsibilities? He even has a screen at the side of the pitch that he could have looked at, but he decided to play on because the tech didn’t tell him to stop. The ref should be deciding when he needs help to make a decision and using all of the tools at his disposal to make the right decision - last night he failed to do that - mainly as a result of the way VAR has been implemented to oversee him rather than help....

The statement the var people have released basically says that they didn’t intervene because the watch didn’t vibrate. But surely that’s exactly when they should intervene. 

They’re basically saying, if the tech works, we’re not needed, and if the tech doesn’t work, It’s not our place to assume it’s not working and overrule it, so we’re also not needed. 

i suppose the excuse they’ve got us that it’s never gone wrong before, so there’s no precedent. I’ve seen the replays, and I can imagine people thinking ‘well it certainly looks to me like it’s behind the lines, but maybe there’s a hair‘a width still level with the edge of the line that I can’t see with the naked eye. Hawk eye is infalible, so my interpretation must be wrong.’

now we know Hawkeye is falible, I’m sure if this ever happens again, they’ll take a closer look at it. 

i really think all these issues will be sorted out (the time wasted, the needless marginal calls, and pretty much every criticism of var) if they just implement a tennis style challenge system from the bench. 

then if there’s a marginal offside that actually no one has an issue with, and the bench don’t challenge it, there’s no pedantic car intervention. 

in this situation chris wilder would have challenged it, and they could have spent time having a proper look, and possibly even consulting with the Hawkeye people. 

sky could even advertise during these moments, almost like a time out, vos they’re slightly less spontaneous, being instigated by the bench. 

it seems so obvious to me, I don’t get why they won’t just do it. 

12 hours ago, Mucker1884 said:

Fair comment.  ?

Do every single one of them get tested, or just samples from each club?
When was their last test?  Minutes before the game?  This morning?  Yesterday?

Not being arsey... genuine questions, seeing as you brought up a good(?) point I'd forgotten to consider.

Either way, in this day and age of prem players allegedly being role models to the youngsters... 

If you want to be that 'cautious' they should all be out there in PPE! I think they test them all, but who knows how accurate that is.