Live football thread.

Rev

17 hours ago, angieram said:

Frank hasn't let me down tonight. I know it won't be a popular opinion on here but I am really pleased for Liverpool and Jurgen Klopp. Worthy champions.

They obviously deserve it and it would have been a shame for them if the season had been made null and void but, by and large, I don't really care about who wins the the Premier League. I know folk will point to what Leicester achieved but I can't see anything like that ever happening again anytime soon so it's a closed shop between Liverpool, Man City, Man Utd and Chelsea (maybe Arsenal again one day). I don't have any affection for any of those clubs.

Apart from last night's drab affair at Burnley, I'm more interested in the "lesser" matches shown on Pick TV.

4 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

People on Twitter (@Angry Ram included!) appear to be attacking and singling out Liverpool fans for leaving litter outside of Anfield, conveniently forgetting the absolute state we left Covent Garden in last May.

Given the state the beaches were left in by some Bamfords yesterday, I'm surprised to hear that anyone cares about litter any more.

50 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

They obviously deserve it and it would have been a shame for them if the season had been made null and void but, by and large, I don't really care about who wins the the Premier League. I know folk will point to what Leicester achieved but I can't see anything like that ever happening again anytime soon so it's a closed shop between Liverpool, Man City, Man Utd and Chelsea (maybe Arsenal again one day). I don't have any affection for any of those clubs.

Apart from last night's drab affair at Burnley, I'm more interested in the "lesser" matches shown on Pick TV.

Closed shop that they haven't won for 30 years!

54 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Fun fact (using the term fun loosely); the last 3 teams to win the top flight for the first time are Leicester (2015/16), Forest (1977/78) and us (71/72). 

2 minutes ago, angieram said:

Closed shop that they haven't won for 30 years!

Fair point but, do you realistically see anyone other than the teams I mentioned being serious contenders? Liverpool are part of that closed shop, they have just failed to convert membership into actual titles. They are still amongst a very small group of teams that could win the title (baring another Leicester miracle).

Because I'm bored and have nothing better to do, I've taken a look at which teams have occupied the top four places over the last 20 years. So that's 80 places (20 years x 4 places).

The clubs I have mentioned have occupied 85% of those places. (Arsenal 17 of the 80, Man U 16, Chelsea 13, Liverpool 12 and Man City 9).

Outside of those five teams, only Spurs (6 times), Newcastle (2 times), Leeds (2 times), Everton (once) and Leicester (once) have made it into the top four.

So, I think it is pretty close to a closed shop.

I suppose, what I should have said, is I'd be more interested if a team other than one of the "big"  five were challenging.

Sith Happens
1 hour ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Derby fans on Twitter (@Angry Ram included!) appear to be suggesting that only Liverpool fans could leave the outside of Anfield in such a litter-filled state, conveniently forgetting what Covent Garden looked like after our visit in May 2019.

you are right of course, morons at all clubs including our own.

Going back to last night if I may (so not truly in keeping with the thread title, as there's now another game on!)...

Between seasons 1972-73 and 1990-91 inclusive... that's 19 consecutive seasons... Liverpool failed to finish in the top two... ONCE!

That's an incredible record, that perhaps the younger ones amongst us can't even begin to fathom!

For those of us who were brought up on football through that particular era, it still seems equally incredible... or rather it did, before last night... to hear the words "Liverpool have never won the Premier League"!  I could never get my head around that statement if truth be told, so if for no other reason, I'm glad I won't hear it again!

Edited by Mucker1884

3 hours ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Brentford leading WBA.

Although tomorrow I think Preston v Cardiff is one to watch (and a draw please)

That’s a perfectly acceptable result to me. It means if Fulham insist on ducking it up, then Brentford could be the team to catch Leeds and bring them down into 3rd place. 

unlikely, but keeps that possibility alive. 

im still waiting for the dream scenario of beating Leeds in the semis (again) and the man forest in the final. It’s going to happen. 

Think Norwich just took the worst free kick I've ever seen. 

Dying seconds, halfway line, manager orders them to wait, players get forward and the whistle goes

Free kick goes sideways across the pitch to nobody.