Greatest Derby comeback of all time?

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As is usually the answer to these sort of things - Leeds in the playoffs last season. We were the first team EVER to overturn a first leg deficit playing the second leg away from home. All whilst being underdogs to start with and having previously been battered twice in the normal season by them. In one of the highest pressure games in English football as well. Absolutely unreal achievement, matched by the unreal scenes at the full time whistle.

My favourite was a 3-2 win over Newcadtle in 83 from being 2 nil down.

The craziest comeback game was v Chelsea around 1990.

Derby 1 Chelsea 0

Derby 1 Chelsea 3

Derby 4 Chelsea 3

Derby 4 Chelsea 6

Madness.

3 hours ago, sage said:

My favourite was a 3-2 win over Newcadtle in 83 from being 2 nil down.

The craziest comeback game was v Chelsea around 1990.

Derby 1 Chelsea 0

Derby 1 Chelsea 3

Derby 4 Chelsea 3

Derby 4 Chelsea 6

Madness.

Remember that one well.  Also remember the Boro away where we were 3-0 down with about 10 mins to go and Christie equalised in the 89th minute. Not a bad player for 10k . 

To be honest, I don't remember that many comebacks.... Go behind, give up seems to be our mantle.

I did think about this game but I had to look it up...

https://www.11v11.com/matches/Derby-county-v-newport-county-22-december-1984-139904/

I think we were 0-3 down and came back to draw. All I remember is John Robertson taking it around the goalkeeper to equalise.

Not only is that the only thing I can remember from the game, it's the only thing that I remember of John Robertson in a Derby shirt.

On ‎04‎/‎06‎/‎2020 at 17:09, Bob The Badger said:

Well cleary it's this one led by Big Rog after being 3-1 down, so what's the second best?

Leeds away when 3-0 down in the first half was pretty good, but we didn't win so not sure I can vote for that.

This one was really special night.  We drove down from the Potteries where we lived / worked at the time, and stood behind the goal- unfortunately not the one where the goals went in !

When we went 3-1 down with 9 mins left I said to my mate that we were not out of it yet. He also realised that in spite of conceding a killer late goal, we had been cutting through them at will for most of the final half hour. Our two late goals in normal time had us smiling knowingly at each other - all Rams fans present and, more importantly, the players, could not envisage us not prevailing in extra time - and how!

A Cockney resident outside one of the terraced houses as we dashed back to the car, asked us the score " won 5-3" we responded, and carried on walking. Don't know how he felt after he learned who had got the "5"!

7 hours ago, IslandExile said:

To be honest, I don't remember that many comebacks.... Go behind, give up seems to be our mantle.

I did think about this game but I had to look it up...

https://www.11v11.com/matches/Derby-county-v-newport-county-22-december-1984-139904/

I think we were 0-3 down and came back to draw. All I remember is John Robertson taking it around the goalkeeper to equalise.

Not only is that the only thing I can remember from the game, it's the only thing that I remember of John Robertson in a Derby shirt.

I was at that game totally by accident.  Was home from uni and went into Derby to do some Christmas shopping. Saw there was a game on so stood on the popside with my 2 carrier bags of meagre gifts then caught the train back to belper. 

Remember the Newport fans in the ossie stand upper tier going nuts when they went 3 up and us clawing it back and going nuts. Andy garner scored the first for us I recall...

Archived