Greatest Derby comeback of all time?

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Think this one's gotta be worth a mention. Had everything. 

Comprehensively outplayed and looking like conceding half a dozen. Clawing our way back from 2-0 down with two set-pieces (yes, you read that right ?) including a bullet from Tomori - Krul in the Norwich goal appears to soil himself with thanks it didn't hit him. Conceding again and looking like all the scrapping was for nothing, before being hauled off the pitch with 7 minutes left because @Boycie just happened to be undertaking an electrical inspection that day. The rest, as they say, is history. 

C'mon Delia, let's be 'avin ya!' ?  

19 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

I was at that game totally by accident.  Was home from uni and went into Derby to do some Christmas shopping. Saw there was a game on so stood on the popside with my 2 carrier bags of meagre gifts then caught the train back to belper. 

Remember the Newport fans in the ossie stand upper tier going nuts when they went 3 up and us clawing it back and going nuts. Andy garner scored the first for us I recall...

Brilliant ?

Love little stories like that, being at a game by accident is great, standing on the Popside with your Christmas shopping is magnificent.......Andy Garner scoring ? Now that is truly amazing....?

@Van der MoodHoover has aroused a personal passion with his post about accidentally attending a football match.

You can't accidentally attend a match nowadays. You have to plan in advance, register for a customer number, book a ticket and sit next to complete strangers.....

Would it be so difficult for clubs to have a block where you could just walk up and pay on the day.

Maybe have a few railway station type lockers for meagre Christmas shopping bags to be deposited?

There also two other good comebacks last season. Southampton A. 2-0 with about 15 minutes to go and won on penalties.

How many teams win at Old Trafford despite conceding in the first few minutes (especially when they’re from the division below). I know that they equalised but we still won.

Forest A FA Cup replay 2009 was a brilliant night. 2-0 inside 15 minutes but we turned it round with Commons haunting the red dogs by getting the winner.

Also winning at Forest with 10 men (with the red card being barely a minute in)  has to be up there.

Can’t remember that many winning comebacks at Pride Park though.

in 2000 we were 0-3 down to Middlesbrough with 60mins gone and got a draw. Similar to Bristol City H in 2016/17.

13 hours ago, richinspain said:

Does that count as a comeback?

I imagine Kieren Lee has had a few, but best not to upload the videos!

It was a response to the original poster saying Robertson’s goal was the only thing he could remember him doing , my old memory remembered another. 
greatesy comebacks the Spurs Cup game and at Pride Park 1-3 down to Sheff Wed in Injury time and drawing 3-3 

8 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

@Van der MoodHoover has aroused a personal passion with his post about accidentally attending a football match.

You can't accidentally attend a match nowadays. You have to plan in advance, register for a customer number, book a ticket and sit next to complete strangers.....

Would it be so difficult for clubs to have a block where you could just walk up and pay on the day.

Maybe have a few railway station type lockers for meagre Christmas shopping bags to be deposited?

When I first moved to Hampshire in the early 90s for the first couple of years our office was about 10mins walk from the Dell.

Occasionally if I worked late my mate who was a Chelsea fan and I would potter up to the ground if there was a midweek match on and stand for 4 quid.

Was just in the period as all-seater grounds were coming in so was still relatively affordable. 

We did look idiots stood there in our suits and fashionable trenchcoats mind....? and the briefcases nearly earned us a kicking or two ?

The greatest Derby comeback of all is just on the cusp of occurring. It will culminate in him scoring a hat trick in this seasons play off final. Of course, I'm talking about the come back of Chris Martin. Written off by many, myself included thought we would never see him pull on a Rams shirt again. Get that new contract signed Chrissy. You know it makes sense. 

1 hour ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

When I first moved to Hampshire in the early 90s for the first couple of years our office was about 10mins walk from the Dell.

Occasionally if I worked late my mate who was a Chelsea fan and I would potter up to the ground if there was a midweek match on and stand for 4 quid.

Was just in the period as all-seater grounds were coming in so was still relatively affordable. 

We did look idiots stood there in our suits and fashionable trenchcoats mind....? and the briefcases nearly earned us a kicking or two ?

Those bricks in the brief cases posed a weighty argument in a tight spot though!?

16 hours ago, Dordogne-Ram said:

This one was really special night.  We drove down from the Potteries where we lived / worked at the time, and stood behind the goal- unfortunately not the one where the goals went in !

When we went 3-1 down with 9 mins left I said to my mate that we were not out of it yet. He also realised that in spite of conceding a killer late goal, we had been cutting through them at will for most of the final half hour. Our two late goals in normal time had us smiling knowingly at each other - all Rams fans present and, more importantly, the players, could not envisage us not prevailing in extra time - and how!

A Cockney resident outside one of the terraced houses as we dashed back to the car, asked us the score " won 5-3" we responded, and carried on walking. Don't know how he felt after he learned who had got the "5"!

I had to listen on the radio because I had school the following day ?

A great night when the F A Cup really meant something.

Easter Monday 1963, I was 9 years old and my Dad took me and my brother to our first ever game at the BBG for Rams vs Middlesborough. We stood in the Osmaston Road Paddock very close to the dugouts.

With 5 minutes to the end of the game, Derby were losing 3-1, and they scored 2 goals in those last few minutes to draw 3-3. I think the winger Ray Swallow & inside forward (?) Keith Havenhand scored. How do I remember those names after 57 years?

For all the ups and downs, glory and failures, I've been a life long Rams fan ever since and I can remember that firt match and comeback as if it was yesterday.

2 hours ago, ImARam2 said:

Easter Monday 1963, I was 9 years old and my Dad took me and my brother to our first ever game at the BBG for Rams vs Middlesborough. We stood in the Osmaston Road Paddock very close to the dugouts.

With 5 minutes to the end of the game, Derby were losing 3-1, and they scored 2 goals in those last few minutes to draw 3-3. I think the winger Ray Swallow & inside forward (?) Keith Havenhand scored. How do I remember those names after 57 years?

For all the ups and downs, glory and failures, I've been a life long Rams fan ever since and I can remember that firt match and comeback as if it was yesterday.

The inside forward was Barry Hutchinson, who scored along with Geoff Barrowcliffe and  Ray Swallow. Keith Havenhand  had left at the end of the previous season.

Unfortunately I was not at the game - was on a South Pennine Road club cycling tour to Mid- Wales, riding alongside Lake Vyrnwy as the final  score came through, after hearing that we were 2 down. Made up for the 5-1 drubbing away on Easter Saturday at Boro! Not many centre forwards scored against big Les Moore that season - I wonder who didn't score in those games.....

Thanks for the thread @Bob The Badger - seems to be bringing quite a few memories back for people!

On 05/06/2020 at 22:53, ram59 said:

There was the 3-3 draw at home to Sheffield Wednesday in 99-00. A game of many chances with Wednesday 'winning it' in the last minute to go 3-1 up, but we scored 2 in injury time. 

On 04/06/2020 at 17:09, Bob The Badger said:

Well cleary it's this one led by Big Rog after being 3-1 down, so what's the second best?

Leeds away when 3-0 down in the first half was pretty good, but we didn't win so not sure I can vote for that.

I was lucky enough to experience that fantastic game...the best I've seen in 53 years!.

Archived