Summer 2020 Transfer Suggestion Thread

oomarkwright

52 minutes ago, Rammy03 said:

And he's gone.

He is gone. However just wait until he scores a goal for bristol the same day we get beat or fail to score.

I'm sure there will be a few reminders on here.... 

Every time that happens

For ever

And ever

And ever

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, Reggie Greenwood said:

Van Wolfswinkel had a poor time at Norwich in the Prem as i recall when Hughton was manager 

He did, *BUT* that seems to be the only blemish on his record. If he comes in on a 2-3 year deal and gets us up to the premiership, that's good enough for me!

Don’t know where the Chris Martin thread is on this. There never seem to be enough threads.

just to say, we should him well and hopefully he gets a good reception from Derby fans whenever that may be.

never understand the negative attitude towards him from the few.

i think we’ll miss him but obviously Bristol city were prepared to offer more than we were.

Just now, MackworthRamIsGod said:

I thought the very same thing yesterday.

We very nearly got him under Rowett and he is a touch of class.

Getting on a bit but thats how we like them.

Its a yes from Len.

Be a good loan for a year, West Brom probably wouldn’t let him go unless they bring in a couple

Rooney hasn't been a striker since around 2015 - 2017, and even then he was mostly already converted to a midfielder.

He wasn't considered a striker when he returned to Everton in 2017 or in the MLS in 2018 or 2019, so why on earth do people think he's going to emerge as striker again in (quite possibly) his final season playing, in 2020/21, in the championship?

He wouldn't just slot into the role left by Martin as he isn't the back to goal, hold off the defender and lay it off / flick it on type. They're not the same player.

When Rooney drops deep it's so he can receive the ball facing goal, spot runners & play the through ball, either that or carry it forward and shoot. It's why he's transitioned to being a midfielder while the likes of Martin, Murray etc are still plying their trade as strikers.

His legs often don't match his speed of thought anymore though. If we play him as a striker then his style of play will mean he ends up having to drop even deeper than Martin would have done, leaving a massive gap up front. 

He won't then be able to get back up the pitch to get on the end of the resulting move, and he's  not likely to receive the ball 40 yards out, drive forward and smash one into the top corner anymore either.

He'll also tire more quickly in a more demanding physical role, so those performances at the end of last season when he was clearly having to play too much & too often would likely happen more regularly.

Archived