Summer 2020 Transfer Suggestion Thread

oomarkwright

17 hours ago, TexasRam said:

Marriott is never fit and Waghorn is not good enough. To get out of this league we need a 20 goal a season Striker, maybe Martin can deliver it? Waghorn and Marriott can’t (I am a Marriott fan however, he just doesn’t play enough football) 

Hopefully with Mariott after this operation we see a bit more consistency. Saying Waghorn isn't good enough is harsh given that his record is 1 in 3 and that he's frequently rotated between positions and gives more than just goal output. Honestly I think any of the three could bag 20 with the right service, I've seen worse finishers than Waghorn do it and don't forget he scored 16 in a bad Ipswich side when we bought him.

But saying we need a 20 goal a season striker to get promoted is easy to disprove, you've only got to glance at the current top 2 to question that. What's important is the team is scoring enough and that's a lot more than just who's upfront. I feel like we get a bigger return in that regard by bringing in a quality wide attacker.

In an ideal world would I like a new striker? Absolutely. But the reality is that any striker we can guarantee would be an improvement is likely either out of our budget or would cost the entire budget. It just doesn't seem prudent when we have far more pressing issues in the team.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The way football is at the moment is good scouting of free/released player market is the obvious way to go.

We must be more than able to match most side in our division wage wise for lower English and minor European league talent. 

It's all about what Cocu feels he needs and how/where his scouts and backroom staff can find those players. 

with all those players on free's and available for loan there's going to plenty to choose from.

I want Hart - or a cheeky enquiry about Kalinic

Resign Clarke

But most importantly 4/5 year contracts for Sibley and Bird with £30m realease clauses

I hope JHI or RHM come good - my Villa mate reckons RHM could make it and was gutted they have let him go

1 minute ago, Dethorn said:

Resign Clarke

But most importantly 4/5 year contracts for Sibley and Bird with £30m realease clauses

I hope JHI or RHM come good - my Villa mate reckons RHM could make it and was gutted they have let him go

I heard RHM was let go early by us to. He didnt do enough 

4 minutes ago, sage said:

I think this thread should be split into 2 separate threads, for if we go up or not. 

Different budgets, different quality of player, different amount of players needed.

Just one thread then ?

If our best 11 (Hamer, Bogle, Wisdom, Clarke, Lowe/Fozzy, Bird, Rooney, Sibley, Waghorn, Lawrence, Martin) could play every minute of every game and maintain their minutes per goal rate, we'd score 116 goals in a season (Sibley scores 41). Adjusting Sibley's to a more appropriate 10 (I'm sure he'd get more), 84 goals a season is pretty good and the sort of figure you'd want for challenging for the title. The main problem we have is goals from the bench - Knight's return is decent considering his game time, but the rest are below what we need, especially Holmes, Marriott and Jozefzoon.

Martin is our 20 goal a season forward, but he can't play enough to reach that figure. His strike rate is 25 in a season. We need a fit and firing Marriott to return to his form from last season so we don't see a drop off in our team's performance in front of goal.

Current strike rates:

1. Sibley - 41
  2. Martin - 25
  3. Waghorn - 16
  4. Rooney - 16
  5. Lawrence - 14
  6. Knight - 11
  7. Marriott - 8
  8. Shinnie - 4
  9. Holmes - 3
  10. Bogle - 2
  11. Clarke - 2

21 minutes ago, Dethorn said:

Resign Clarke

RHM didn't impress me - a bit of a speed merchant. We certainly have more promising lads coming through with Wilson and Archie stepping up to the U23s next season. I rate JML higher in terms of his current ability and potential) and he's 2 years younger too.

1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

RHM didn't impress me - a bit of a speed merchant. We certainly have more promising lads coming through with Wilson and Archie stepping up to the U23s next season. I rate JML higher in terms of his current ability and potential) and he's 2 years younger too.

cool

15 minutes ago, DCFClks said:

Just read Fraser Forster doesn't want to rejoin Celtic and is looking at other options - probably on too much wages though 

Hasenhutl says he'll look at him again in preseason. If there is a preseason.

The talk down here is that it will likely be Gunn, out of the three, that they'll let go.

6 hours ago, TexasRam said:

Sherringhams goal record was 1 goal in 2.5 games not bad to be fair. Beardsley was a number 10, I know nothing about Toshak. So based on all that not sure what your point is. 

We have a plethora of number 10s, we need a goal scoring CF/Striker IMO to play off them. Martin’s great and can get us goals, after that I think we struggle. Waghorn is just not that player and Marriott hasn’t been fit enough for us to play consistently. So due to that I’d go and buy one if I was Phil. 

Toshack 172 goals in 397 games not too shabby plus goodness knows how many assists for Keegan and others

4 hours ago, Reggie Greenwood said:

Toshack 172 goals in 397 games not too shabby plus goodness knows how many assists for Keegan and others

Keegan got 68 in 230 games, so Toshack had a much better goal to game ratio.

Archived