Summer 2020 Transfer Suggestion Thread

oomarkwright

6 minutes ago, Will Hughes Hair said:

If we remain in the Championship and we could afford it I'd go for,

Butland or Hart at GK, both need some tlc but have the underlying quality required.

As a few have said, Butland has been awful this season.

Wasnt Hart offloaded as he couldn't adapt to Guardiolas way off playing out from the back?

Clarke at CB, my personal number one priority.  I like him.

Highly unlikely, Brighton bought him as a long term prospectImagine they will fancy him having a  crack at the Premier League next season.

Lyle Taylor at CF, available on a free, mobile, can lead the line and probably fills the gap until one or more of JHI, RHM (is he staying? - hope so), T Wilson or J Stretton can step up.

Given how Taylor has behaved at Charlton I wouldnt want him with 100 miles of our club. Absolute scumbag.

If we're promoted I'd supplement this with 3 or 4 exotics.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
35 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

Mariott has pace, Waghorn isn't slow and I feel it's not even necessary for us to have a quick striker. Could do with a bit more pace in the squad for sure but I think that would make a bigger difference on wings were we could do with more quality.

I just think it's a position were we have 3 good players, to make an improvement would cost basically our entire budget and we have other areas of the squad that need addressing beforehand. 

Marriott is never fit and Waghorn is not good enough. To get out of this league we need a 20 goal a season Striker, maybe Martin can deliver it? Waghorn and Marriott can’t (I am a Marriott fan however, he just doesn’t play enough football) 

15 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

There are levels though aren't there?  For instance would Hart consistently clip balls to the wing out of play?

Clarke was bombed out pretty quickly after arriving by Brighton and I suspect he's not in Potter's plans beyond being fourth or fifth choice.

Taylor has done nothing different to Tom Huddlestone.  According to Bowyer he has a 'life changing' deal lined up.  Looking after himself and his family doesn't make him a scumbag for me.  Suspect we're not in for him, or we'd have heard a whisper. Think he may end up at Rangers (Glasgow not Queens Park).

GK. Don't think Hamer will sign, and Roos is okay, but definitely need that no1.

CB - One more needed, with Clarke out, Te Wierik in. Think we'll be okay here with Wisdom/TW pairing, another backup option with Davies, Foz as emergency cover.

Definitely a winger. I feel like I go into every season wanting one, and I'm always disappointed. Don't think there's one waiting in the academy wings quite yet either. Whittaker is the leading candidate, but looks like he could do with a season out on loan a la Max Lowe.

Think we'll see a fitter Marriott next season, after what came out in that podcast. Still need another striker, especially if Chris Martin doesn't sign up for next term, plus Hector-Ingram making the step up.

3 minutes ago, Will Hughes Hair said:

There are levels though aren't there?  For instance would Hart consistently clip balls to the wing out of play?

Clarke was bombed out pretty quickly after arriving by Brighton and I suspect he's not in Potter's plans beyond being fourth or fifth choice.

Taylor has done nothing different to Tom Huddlestone.  According to Bowyer he has a 'life changing' deal lined up.  Looking after himself and his family doesn't make him a scumbag for me.  Suspect we're not in for him, or we'd have heard a whisper. Think he may end up at Rangers (Glasgow not Queens Park).

Bombed out seems a little harsh. Signed as a prospect, and loaned out to improve at a higher level than where he was at previously. Otherwise agreed. Will probably be 4th choice behind Ben White who by a few accounts has had a great season with Leeds.

Tom did at least make himself available for selection - and was named on the bench - despite it looking as if his contract wasn't being renewed. Taylor refused even that, I believe.

8 minutes ago, Will Hughes Hair said:

Hope he does go to Scotland so we can nip in for Ivan Toney!

16 minutes ago, Animal is a Ram said:

GK. Don't think Hamer will sign, and Roos is okay, but definitely need that no1.

CB - One more needed, with Clarke out, Te Wierik in. Think we'll be okay here with Wisdom/TW pairing, another backup option with Davies, Foz as emergency cover.

Definitely a winger. I feel like I go into every season wanting one, and I'm always disappointed. Don't think there's one waiting in the academy wings quite yet either. Whittaker is the leading candidate, but looks like he could do with a season out on loan a la Max Lowe.

Think we'll see a fitter Marriott next season, after what came out in that podcast. Still need another striker, especially if Chris Martin doesn't sign up for next term, plus Hector-Ingram making the step up.

Are you expecting Beliek to play centre midfield not centre back ?

2 minutes ago, Chellaston Ram said:

Are you expecting Beliek to play centre midfield not centre back ?

From what I've seen he's not quick enough for either in such a fast paced league. Everything seems to be late or laboured. I'm open to be convinced on his return however. Hope i am with the cash involved.

21 minutes ago, Will Hughes Hair said:

I'm happy with a keeper that can save shots and catch crosses. A lot of modern managers are more interested in sweeper keepers.

Bombed out? Potter said he wanted him to play regularly in the Championship to aid his progression. 

Taylor refused to play before his contract had even finished. Not aware that Huddlestone did that? Charlton are in a relegation battle and rather than giving his all for the team that gave him his big chance hes looked out for himself.

Piss poor loyalty, player power gone mad, and I'd love it if his 'big move' falls through and he is left without a club.

4 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Thinking realistically with the money we have i would take Kieran Westwood.  One year left at Wednesday, they have a couple of younger keepers and Given had him as understudy with ROI.  Always looked a very decent keeper and probably within budget for a year or two. 

I don't get the obsession with Westwood, never been anything more than a slightly above average Championship keeper and he's spent more time out injured than playing for the past three of years.

He's not the answer.

1 minute ago, Coconut said:

I don't get the obsession with Westwood, never been anything more than a slightly above average Championship keeper and he's spent more time out injured than playing for the past three of years.

He's not the answer.

Seen him a fair bit. I think he's a solid option. Best one on one goalie in this league and quick along the line. Even he was slightly above average, that's a vast improvement on our current choices. Our days of giving ex england goalies 20k a week are gone . Can't speak much on injury record as I don't know. 

7 minutes ago, Coconut said:

He's not the answer.

I'd say he was the best keeper in this division for a few seasons.

18 minutes ago, Animal is a Ram said:

Bombed out seems a little harsh. Signed as a prospect, and loaned out to improve at a higher level than where he was at previously. Otherwise agreed. Will probably be 4th choice behind Ben White who by a few accounts has had a great season with Leeds.

Tom did at least make himself available for selection - and was named on the bench - despite it looking as if his contract wasn't being renewed. Taylor refused even that, I believe.

On Matt Clarke.

Discounting Ben White, they already chose Dunk, Webster, Duffy, Burn and Ostigard ahead of him this season.  All of them in their twenties.  I think the priorities changed between Brighton signing him and him arriving for pre-season.  I don't know but was he a Chris Hughton target that Potter rejected?  I do think he's a realistic target for us.

On Lyle Taylor.

Tom Huddlestone has earned millions through his esteemed career.  Lyle Taylor played for Concord Rangers.  To use a phrase I never thought I'd say, 'I'm with Lee Bowyer.  I can't blame him for not jeopardising what could be a defining move for him.'

27 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Thinking realistically with the money we have i would take Kieran Westwood.  One year left at Wednesday, they have a couple of younger keepers and Given had him as understudy with ROI.  Always looked a very decent keeper and probably within budget for a year or two. 

Always rated him but he's 35.  Not sure.

1 hour ago, TexasRam said:

Because our two current keepers are awful and not good enough even as back ups, get rid and start a fresh. If we have a youngster in the ranks as back up then all the better, if not buy two. 

I don't think there's a goalkeeper in the academy that will be pushing for a first team spot any time soon. Maybe @angieram can confirm? If however there isn't who would you suggest as a backup? We will probably need to spend good money on a first choice (fee and or wages) so how much would be left over for the backup? If we're looking at freebies on low wages will they be better than Roos?

25 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

I'd say he was the best keeper in this division for a few seasons.

Even if he was, 18, 21 & 14 appearances over the past 3 seasons for an average, mid-tabke Championship team doesn't really speak volumes for his current level of ability or availability.

1 hour ago, TexasRam said:

Marriott is never fit and Waghorn is not good enough. To get out of this league we need a 20 goal a season Striker, maybe Martin can deliver it? Waghorn and Marriott can’t (I am a Marriott fan however, he just doesn’t play enough football) 

Why do we need a 20 goal a season striker? The 2 clubs who appear likely to go up in the automatic slots don't have one - Bamford at Leeds has 14 whilst Robson Kanu on 10 is WBAs leading scorer.

I'd rather have a higher contribution of goals from midfield and wide positions than having to rely heavily on one player.

Archived