Summer 2020 Transfer Suggestion Thread

oomarkwright

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Anag Ram said:

Definitely need a striker with pace. We have the passers to find him. Too often our forwards have to check back due to lack of pace.

Didn't see much of that v F*rest! I saw Martin go to make runs a fair few times but just stop as the ball was passed sideways.

3 minutes ago, Black ('n' White) Sheep said:

On the subject of '20 goal a season strikers'... Cauley Woodrow has managed 15 in a poor Barnsley team this season. Could be worth a cheeky bid if they end up going down.

There is nothing wrong, bar fitness in Marriott's case, with any of our strikers. What has been lacking is their service. With limited funds a winger or two, a centre half and a first choice keeper are where it's at!

5 minutes ago, Black ('n' White) Sheep said:

On the subject of '20 goal a season strikers'... Cauley Woodrow has managed 15 in a poor Barnsley team this season. Could be worth a cheeky bid if they end up going down.

Good shout.  They sold half of their promotion team last year (including Pinnock) at the first opportunity.  Got to think Covid will hit them hard and we could get him for a decent price.

I think I'm right in saying he can play a withdrawn role too?

28 minutes ago, Will Hughes Hair said:

Good shout.  They sold half of their promotion team last year (including Pinnock) at the first opportunity.  Got to think Covid will hit them hard and we could get him for a decent price.

I think I'm right in saying he can play a withdrawn role too?

Barnsley won't sell to us. We're the reason they've been in the bottom 5 since October remember.

Think the only two positions we need are Goalkeeper and Winger.

For Goalkeepers the only realistic options I think are:

Freddie Woodman - on loan from Newcastle

Christian Walton - on loan from Brighton

As for Wingers: 

Jordan Ibe - Free Agent

Bryan Linssen - Free Agent - Scored 15 goals for Vitesse last season - Dutch so maybe Phil is aware of him

1 hour ago, Wolfie20 said:

Why do we need a 20 goal a season striker? The 2 clubs who appear likely to go up in the automatic slots don't have one - Bamford at Leeds has 14 whilst Robson Kanu on 10 is WBAs leading scorer.

I'd rather have a higher contribution of goals from midfield and wide positions than having to rely heavily on one player.

Good point on more outfield players scoring. 

In terms of a striker role I'd like to get someone like the Bristol City striker mould I think its spelt deidhou correct me if I'm wrong on the spelling but he would fit nicely but don't think his goal scoring is the best but someone in that mould. Big and powerful like Martin with the option of pace in behind. Need a right winger badly for me with pace. As much as I love bird think he's brilliant he definitely needs to take more risk for me and pass forwards than once or twice a game. To many times in forest game he just went for the simples sideways pass everytime and a few other games I've watched although rooney did too so wasn't all him and options In front were somewhat limited I suppose. We missed wisdom bringing the ball out too 

20 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Barnsley won't sell to us. We're the reason they've been in the bottom 5 since October remember.

That was an opportunistic flounce.  Despite us absolutely being the reason they are rubbish, they will sell to us.  Assuming Villa get relegated but don't offer to pay four times as much we offer.  As per.

1 hour ago, Wolfie20 said:

Why do we need a 20 goal a season striker? The 2 clubs who appear likely to go up in the automatic slots don't have one - Bamford at Leeds has 14 whilst Robson Kanu on 10 is WBAs leading scorer.

I'd rather have a higher contribution of goals from midfield and wide positions than having to rely heavily on one player.

Never understood anyone who doesn’t want a striker to score goals ??‍♂️

1 hour ago, richinspain said:

I don't think there's a goalkeeper in the academy that will be pushing for a first team spot any time soon. Maybe @angieram can confirm? If however there isn't who would you suggest as a backup? We will probably need to spend good money on a first choice (fee and or wages) so how much would be left over for the backup? If we're looking at freebies on low wages will they be better than Roos?

I don’t know, I do know we pay several people to do that job though. And I’m pretty sure there’s a few back ups out there we could get who are better than Roos.

16 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

Never understood anyone who doesn’t want a striker to score goals ??‍♂️

Who said they didn't want a striker to score goals? Just that 20 from one player isn't necessary or didn't you understand that?

2 hours ago, Animal is a Ram said:

CB - One more needed, with Clarke out, Te Wierik in. Think we'll be okay here with Wisdom/TW pairing, another backup option with Davies, Foz as emergency cover.

Te Wierik is a right-sided centre half, so I'm not sure he'll be partnered with Wisdom.

I personally think our back four will be:

Bogle - Te Wierik - Bielik - Lowe

...with Wisdom and Evans as the two back-up centre halves. 

I'm pretty sure Bielik plays as a left-sided centre-half for Poland. He certainly played there for us at times next to Keogh. I also think he's said somewhere before (maybe on RamsTV) that he prefers playing as a defender. Somebody might be able to confirm that.

1 hour ago, richinspain said:

I don't think there's a goalkeeper in the academy that will be pushing for a first team spot any time soon. Maybe @angieram can confirm? If however there isn't who would you suggest as a backup? We will probably need to spend good money on a first choice (fee and or wages) so how much would be left over for the backup? If we're looking at freebies on low wages will they be better than Roos?

I think Ravas is the one to look out for but he has to bulk up a bit first. Otherwise he will never cope with the forwards standing on him at every corner.

He's a decent shot stopper and I would like to say normally good in the air, but I did see him drop a high ball one match this season and if he does that at Pride Park then our fans are very unforgiving.

I think people have unrealistic expectations of goalkeepers over every other position, really. 

If we counted how many goal-chances a forward misses, how many crosses not delivered by wingers or fullbacks or how many times a ball given away by almost anyone then I would say our goalkeepers (either of them) aren't at the top of the mistakes list! But of course, their mistakes cost goals - and games. 

I hate it! 

(And I would also mention some of the clangers previous keepers made if that wasn't a whole other thread!)

12 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

I don’t know, I do know we pay several people to do that job though. And I’m pretty sure there’s a few back ups out there we could get who are better than Roos.

Mine was a rhetorical question. Obviously I don't expect you to know who we could sign ?. My point still stands though. To sign a second choice keeper better than what we already have I don't think will come cheap, and it's money that could be better spent elsewhere. To sign better than we have in any position, or replace Martin if he doesn't renew, is going to cost money. We aren't in a position to spend on reserve players at the moment unfortunately.

4 minutes ago, angieram said:

I think Ravas is the one to look out for but he has to bulk up a bit first. Otherwise he will never cope with the forwards standing on him at every corner.

He's a decent shot stopper and I would like to say normally good in the air, but I did see him drop a high ball one match this season and if he does that at Pride Park then our fans are very unforgiving.

I think people have unrealistic expectations of goalkeepers over every other position, really. 

If we counted how many goal-chances a forward misses, how many crosses not delivered by wingers or fullbacks or how many times a ball given away by almost anyone then I would say our goalkeepers (either of them) aren't at the top of the mistakes list! But of course, their mistakes cost goals - and games. 

I hate it! 

(And I would also mention some of the clangers previous keepers made if that wasn't a whole other thread!)

Excellent post as always Angie. I think I'd even go to you before Wassall if I needed to know anything about the academy. I bet even he wouldn't have got full marks on your quiz questions ?

1 hour ago, Black ('n' White) Sheep said:

If you think Lawrence is wasteful with his shooting, then you’ll be lost for words with Woodrow. Woodrow’s had more shots from outside the box than Lawrence yet has only scored half as many. 

8 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

Who said they didn't want a striker to score goals? Just that 20 from one player isn't necessary or didn't you understand that?

I completely understood, and I think it is. 

Archived