Rate the last film you saw partie deux

Ovis aries

On 28/11/2022 at 19:48, Unlucky Alf said:

Went to watch it...not on Netflix☹️

On 28/11/2022 at 20:13, ramit said:

i just checked on Netflix, it is still there.  Perhaps you have a different version of Netflix than is offered in Iceland, hopefully someone better in the know can explain this apparent omission.

Netflix offerings vary by region. It was actually on iPlayer too that that run has also ended. Easy to find on streaming / torrent sites or you can rent it for about £3 on Amazon. Still good value with the rental fee as @ramitis right, it's an excellent movie.

13 minutes ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Netflix offerings vary by region. It was actually on iPlayer too that that run has also ended. Easy to find on streaming / torrent sites or you can rent it for about £3 on Amazon. Still good value with the rental fee as @ramitis right, it's an excellent movie.

I can get it on T TV on my fire TV app, Will bookmark it for viewing at a later date?

being forced to watch Christmas Rom-coms lately.

Your Christmas or Mine: Amazon British sickly rom-com. Got a few known actors in it. Angela Griffin and Daniel Mays spring to mind. Basically, they took familiar formula and made it more familiar and cliche! Two college students, a couple, say their goodbyes before supposedly departing on trains back to their family homes for Christmas, but both decide last minute to catch the other's train to spend Christmas together. One being posh and privileged, the other being common and chavvy. Neither's family knows about them being a couple. Absolutely no hilarity ensues. 

Eddie Lewis/10 (it tries hard, but lacks quality and already appears knackered and old.)

National Lampoons Christmas Vacation: Chevy Chase (the original Jim Carrey) and his family have extended family over for Christmas day. Lots of things go wrong. Funny in moments without being sophisticated, and the Cat scorch mark gets me every time!

Paul Green/10 (does it job, but won't be considered as one of the greats)

The Holiday: Cameron Diaz is an American, Kate Winslet is a Brit. They are both unhappy and decide to swap homes/countries over Christmas. Kate Winslet meets Jack Black in America. Cameron Diaz meets Jude Law in England. The most exciting bit for me was realising Rufus Sewell (Man in the High Castle - Obergruppenfuhrer Smith) was in it. Proper chick flick.

Jordon Stewart/10 (flatters to deceive but without achieving anything good)

I've also been forced to watch Me Time, 50 First Dates, Click, and numerous others. But made her watch Layer Cake, Black Mirror, Football and Football. So it's swings and roundabouts

Black Panther: Wakanda Forever

After the real-life death of the mighty Chadwick Boseman, and the success of the first film, this was always going to be a difficult sequel to get right. 

It's very easy to dismiss it as 'just another Marvel', but don't. The grief felt very much becomes the central theme, and I think it becomes a more genuine film for it. Fantastic, powerful, standout performances from Angela Basset and Letitia Wright and the supporting cast all play their parts very well. Unconvinced by the 'baddies', which I felt was it's weakest part, but in a strange way, it helps.

A long film at 2h40m, bits are slow, again with the whole grief thing that's to be expected, but it didn't feel like a drag.

Matej Vydra/10 - takes a little bit to get rolling, unstoppable when it does.

1 hour ago, Mostyn6 said:

National Lampoons Christmas Vacation: Chevy Chase (the original Jim Carrey) and his family have extended family over for Christmas day. Lots of things go wrong. Funny in moments without being sophisticated, and the Cat scorch mark gets me every time!

My favourite Chrismas film.

christmas vacation GIF by hero0fwar

1 hour ago, Mostyn6 said:

I've seen a lot of people say this is their favourite Christmas film, particularly in the US, so arguably it is seen as one of the greats.

I personally think it's utter crap. Saw absolutely nothing redeeming in it. Waste of time. 

Jordan Ibe's second spell / 10

2 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

I've seen a lot of people say this is their favourite Christmas film, particularly in the US, so arguably it is seen as one of the greats.

I personally think it's utter crap. Saw absolutely nothing redeeming in it. Waste of time. 

Jordan Ibe's second spell / 10

Comedy has moved on a lot since then. A lot of things I found hilarious from 80s and even early 90s haven't stood the test of time.

Hobson's Choice on Netflix (Iceland)  A fine old film i was fortunate enough to not have seen before.  Charles Laughton was always terrific, but it was John Mills and Brenda De Banzie who owned that show.  Enjoyed Mills's performance particularly, even if it was obvious that he had studied every move of the great Stan Laurel.  A little musical L&H acknowledgment near the end was a correct tip of the hat in that direction.  8/10 i should say.

On 27/11/2022 at 00:08, ramit said:

Eastern Promises on Netflix.  Excellent in so many ways, a slow burn at just the right temperature.  Viggo Mortensen and Vincent Cassel are standouts in a generally very good cast.  Dark and brooding, emotional without sentimentalism, stark and brutal.  One scene was unbelievably well done, had me gaping at the realism.  Didn't know Cronenberg had this in him.  Without hesitation, a 9/10 from me.

I believe that Viggo Mortensen's tattoos were so realistic that diners in a Russian restaurant in London he visited saw them and started leaving 

Your Christmas or mine?. (new on Prime)

Two young students are reluctantly planning to be apart for the festive period but end up at each other's houses for Christmas due to them both doing a romantic train swap in order to spend it together.

Definitely not a classic and much of it should be a Hallmark TV movie on Channel 5. But for a sugary feelgood bit of festive fluff, it does the job.

A very generous 5/10 because it's Christmas, after all.

The Bishops Wife - Prime.

1947 Christmas film starring Cary Grant as a smooth talking angel sent to answer the prayers of a stressed Bishop, who's been neglecting everything but his work. 

Loretta Young plays the wife, with David Niven as the disbelieving man of the cloth. 

It's a wonderful film, perfect for this time of year, possibly overlooked because of the similar themed Christmas film released the year before.

Violent Night

David Harbour (Hopper from Stranger Things) playing a Santa Claus who's utterly done with his job, until he has to save a family taken hostage by Christmas hating John Leguizamo.

Not a cinematic masterpiece, but it's not trying to be. It's Home Alone for adults, with a more than a little hint of Die Hard. Harbour is brilliant. Everything I wanted it to be, bloody, funny, just switch off and enjoy.

Eiran Cashin/10. Solid, reliable, but not spectacular. 

On 08/12/2022 at 21:10, ramit said:

Hobson's Choice on Netflix (Iceland)  A fine old film i was fortunate enough to not have seen before.  Charles Laughton was always terrific, but it was John Mills and Brenda De Banzie who owned that show.  Enjoyed Mills's performance particularly, even if it was obvious that he had studied every move of the great Stan Laurel.  A little musical L&H acknowledgment near the end was a correct tip of the hat in that direction.  8/10 i should say.

Saw this years ago great movie...so great now watching it on YouTube ?