Rate the last film you saw partie deux

Ovis aries

8 hours ago, TimRam said:

Spiderhead (netflix). Expected much more from this, sets the scene well and the idea is an interesting one. However it just seems to stay at the same 'level' if that makes sense. Does not really progress as it goes on (apart from last 15 mins). 6/10.

Agree entirely - so much promise, but plodded along for the majority of the film before trying to cram all of the excitrement in at the end....

Chip n Dale: Rescue Rangers (2022 Disney+)

watched it with the kids thinking it would be a fun animated film. They like the old chip n dale shorts on there. This is much better than just a long cartoon.

From the guys behind the lonely island, this is a new Roger Rabbit. So many cameos, a few where I wonder how they managed to get them. Funny characters. Good story. A few dark, bordering on scary bits for the kids.

Its worth a watch if you have Disney+ Surprisingly good fun

Bisgaard / 10

Spirited Away - a famous anime we watched at the inaugural work "film club". It was odd as most of the other members of staff were rolling about laughing, when I was wondering what on earth anyone saw in it. Derek Hales/10.

I have nominated:

• Colossus: the Forbin Project
  • Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

for future screenings.

16 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

Spirited Away - a famous anime we watched at the inaugural work "film club". It was odd as most of the other members of staff were rolling about laughing, when I was wondering what on earth anyone saw in it. Derek Hales/10.

I have nominated:

• Colossus: the Forbin Project
  • Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

for future screenings.

I loved Spirited Away, love all those Studio Ghibli.

If you're doing film club choose The Lobster - if you can get through that without wondering what way is up you are a better person than me. Or do Tyrannosaur if you don't want people to talk much afterwards, about as dark as it gets - though the acting is beyond great.

1 minute ago, BaaLocks said:

If you're doing film club choose The Lobster - if you can get through that without wondering what way is up you are a better person than me. Or do Tyrannosaur if you don't want people to talk much afterwards, about as dark as it gets - though the acting is beyond great.

Agree, I think the Lobster was the weirdest thing I have ever seen

On 26/06/2022 at 23:18, Heisenberg said:

Boiling Point on Netflix.

Another acting masterclass by Stephen Graham as he plays a down on his luck head chef in an upscale restaurant.

Fast paced, gritty 90 minute film.

Brilliantly written and filmed in only one shot, too.

John Eustace/10.

Agreed it was outstanding. and to shoot it on the 3rd go in one take was remarkable. 

2 hours ago, BaaLocks said:

Cheers. Remember all the hype about The Lobster when it came out, though some said "great concept but it loses its way". It did sound intriguing. But since then he's done The Killing of a Sacred Dear and The Favourite which I thought were terrible. Life's too short to watch movies from directors whose work you don't like! And if the film club is watching and laughing at Spirited Away I'm pretty certain Tyrannosaur isn't for them! :)

Watched Romance and Cigarettes over the weekend.

A little unusual but then you’d expect that with the Coen brothers involved (executive producers) with an all star cast (Kate Winslet, James Gandolfini, Susan Sarandon, Steve Buscemi, Christopher Walken and Eddie Izzard).

Probably not everyone’s cup of tea (it’s classed as a musical) but I thoroughly enjoyed it. 8/10.

Hand Of God on Netflix - Italian with subtitles. A semi-autobiographical coming-of-age film by Paulo Sorentino (The Great Beauty/Youth) set at the time Maradonna signed for Naples. Funny, rude and moving, very Italian, very enjoyable (if you can bear subtitles). 

Edited by Crewton

Candyman (2021)

I was a big fan of the original and saw it again recently. Despite normally being a Jordan Peele fan, this one for me was quite poor, with the enjoyment being sucked out by a political message continually rammed down your throat and a muddled mythology backstory. Some good scenes (one very gruesome) but you wouldn't describe it as scary, so scrapes a 4/10

Held a girly movie night double bill for Mrs Sagan at the weekend.

First out of the traps was When Harry Met Sally. Very well conceived, written and acted. 7/10

Then we had Sliding Doors. I'll give it a bonus point for the title entering the language so it rate 2/10. Awful script. Had the writer never heard people speak? Terrible acting. Never again.

On 12/07/2022 at 00:00, Carl Sagan said:

Then we had Sliding Doors. I'll give it a bonus point for the title entering the language so it rate 2/10. Awful script. Had the writer never heard people speak? Terrible acting. Never again.

the concept of the film was really clever. Pretty sure it was written by TV presenter Danny Wallace and directed by the bloke out of Bread.