Rate the last film you saw partie deux

Ovis aries

8 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

The Creator written and directed by Gareth Edwards (who rose rapidly to fame from Monsters to Godzilla to Rogue One). As you might expect from those movies, this is visually sumptuous, probably the best-looking film released this year. 

The more I think about the story, the worse it becomes. I've not read any reviews, but if I were pitching this to a studio it would be Blade Runner 2049 meets The Golden Child, with a bit of District 9 sprinkled over it. The basic story is humans vs AI. David Washington kind of reprises his role in TENET while Gemma Chan, once of Humans, gets to co-star.

Tom Ince/10 More style over substance.

Hmmmm, Gemma Chan

ding dong.jpeg

Edited by Gaspode

17 hours ago, r4derby said:

Marvel films always had an element of light-hearted humour, right from Iron Man. Thor: Ragnarok bought an over-the-top, silliness that worked for that film. It mixed so well with the darker elements of the movie. The problem is that they then took the character completely into the incompetent man-child, and away from the god/leader that he is.

Marvel films need an element of humour to keep them balanced, as they are ultimately aimed at the whole family. It can be jarring when shoved down your throat though, I agree 

The bold bit is where I beg to differ. For me, it clashed horribly with the darker moments and removed much of the drama. But hey, each to their own.

Interstellar 

Watched it with the kids, their first time.

Chuffed that they loved it.

The narrative gets lost occasionally and you have to suspend belief to enjoy it completely... but bloody hell it's an epic film that is just jam-packed with ideas and emotion.

Ironically it seems to bend time so that it feels very slow-paced as you watch it and then it ends... and you realise you have experienced and felt so much that you can't quite take it all in. 

9/10

19 hours ago, Chester40 said:

Interstellar 

Watched it with the kids, their first time.

Chuffed that they loved it.

The narrative gets lost occasionally and you have to suspend belief to enjoy it completely... but bloody hell it's an epic film that is just jam-packed with ideas and emotion.

Ironically it seems to bend time so that it feels very slow-paced as you watch it and then it ends... and you realise you have experienced and felt so much that you can't quite take it all in. 

9/10

Best film I've ever seen. Incredible.

Downsizing - I had high hopes for this thinking it was a more adult 'shrinking humans' type film. Also stars Matt Damon. The idea and first half hour or so set the scene well. Then the film takes a strange turn and forgets what it's supposed to be. The idea of the minaturisation gets lost and forgotten about most of the time. It becomes quite dull to be honest. 5/10.

A Haunting in Venice

The third of Ken Brannagh's Agatha Christie adaptations, and a story that I knew nothing about.

OK, but the weakest of the three IMO. I do want to see it agian, though, because I was knackered when we went to the Cinema, so may have missed a few inutes in the middle.

6/10

The Burial with Tommy Lee Jones and Jamie Foxx on Amazon Prime.

Gentle courtroom drama/comedy (in that order) about an old funeral home owner resisting a big chain of funeral homes after they tried to stiff him on buying him out.

Based (heavily, it seems if you wait to watch the end credits) on true events and real characters, it was pretty enjoyable and easy to watch with Foxx his usual excellent self and Jones doing exactly what TLJ does.

No real surprises, but worth taking a look.

Craig Forsyth/10

14 hours ago, Eddie said:

El Camino - A Breaking Bad Movie

Thoroughly enjoyed it - although I guess if you haven't seen the TV series, it might be a little too fragmented and interspersed with flashbacks to really work as a feature film.

Interesting. I really enjoyed Breaking Bad but not so El Camino. Perhaps my expectations were too high having seen the series. 

4 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

Interesting. I really enjoyed Breaking Bad but not so El Camino. Perhaps my expectations were too high having seen the series. 

I thought the movie was dreadful, but it would be interesting to slip into a parallel universe and watch it having not watched BB.

If you enjoyed the movie, you're in for a treat with Breaking Bad @Eddie if you watch it. One of the great TV series of all time.

The Marvels.

Expected an absolute woke, manbashing, cringefest

Yes it is woke casting, is clearly tailored from the standard Marvel movie to appeal to a female demographic, and bar Samuel L there is little by he way of male cast apart from some grunts to be beaten up, but it doesn't totally shove it down your throat.

It actually was pretty enjoyable, completely bonkers in parts, but when it goes bonkers is probably when its at its best. Didn't expect to have anything positive to say about it but it was a fun popcorn flick.

Larson is still hopelessly miscast but it kind of plays to her awkwardness this time, which makes that stand out less.

With regards to female opinion, the wife, who has absolutely no love for woke female empowerment for the sake of it movies, who has seen probably 20-25 of the Marvel flicks at the cinema, and usually finds them somewhere between totally throwaway and okay, absolutley loved it.

There is a big mid credits scene but nothing post credits apart from a few sound effects.

3 hours ago, Bob The Badger said:

I thought the movie was dreadful, but it would be interesting to slip into a parallel universe and watch it having not watched BB.

If you enjoyed the movie, you're in for a treat with Breaking Bad @Eddie if you watch it. One of the great TV series of all time.

I've watched it several years ago.