Rate the last film you saw partie deux

Ovis aries

7 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

French Connection comes to mind

Well, TBF I wasn't casting my mind back over half a century. My point was that type of film rarely wins Oscars. 

Are you old enough to have seen it at the cinema on release? I'm 61 and it was well before my time. 

6 hours ago, Bob The Badger said:

Well, TBF I wasn't casting my mind back over half a century. My point was that type of film rarely wins Oscars. 

Are you old enough to have seen it at the cinema on release? I'm 61 and it was well before my time. 

No mate.  A good few years before my time as well.

Just finished All Quiet On The Western Front.  Can't say I enjoyed it, would hate myself if I did.  Got me thinking of the poor sods slugging it out in a very similar war right now.  My 19 year old son and I watched it together in silence.  Nothing much to say, except I blurted out near the end, hey you saddle maker, put that general out of his misery.

Not rating, just horror.

6 hours ago, ramit said:

Just finished All Quiet On The Western Front.  Can't say I enjoyed it, would hate myself if I did.  Got me thinking of the poor sods slugging it out in a very similar war right now.  My 19 year old son and I watched it together in silence.  Nothing much to say, except I blurted out near the end, hey you saddle maker, put that general out of his misery.

Not rating, just horror.

Yep, really impressive but hardly 'enjoyable'.

I watched (most of) The Green Knight. Well received film fron a couple of years back.

Fell asleep having been pretty bored. Nice looking film but just couldn't get on with it.

'Bull'.

Wow 😀

Violent, vengeance, gritty. 

Really reminiscent to me of Dead Man Shoes/Shane Meadows and that earthy, realistic, everyman headcase.

Lead (Danny Dyer's best mate from The Football Factory) is bloody good as the avenging 'angel' handing out justice to those who have crossed his path.

9/10. 

The Unholy (Netflix)

A hearing-impaired girl is visited by the Virgin Mary and can suddenly hear, speak, and heal the sick. As people flock to witness her miracles, terrifying events unfold. Are they the work of the Virgin Mary or something much more sinister?

Some of the CGI effects aren't great but it's a fairly entertaining adaptation of a James Herbert novel.

6/10

Fool's Paradise - Charlie Day directed and starred in this supposed lambasting of Hollywood. The cast is interesting enough to make you think that there's some content worth sitting through. Fifteen minutes in you realise they were as duped as you have been. It's shallow, predictable and Day's attempt to make something that feels a bit like wht would have come out if Charlie Chaplin had made Grant Budapest Hotel runs out of steam long, long, long before the end. It's part panto, part garbage, all worth left alone.

In case I wasn't clear, I didn't like it.

The Passenger - decent indie crime thriller with a star turn from the broody and menacing Kyle Gallner. He deserves a crack at a higher profile project, but carries this one very well, ably assisted by the also excellent, Johnny Berchtold. It's a journey whose destination is quickly surmisable, but it's tightly scripted and the hook, even when expected, is nicely delivered. Worth a watch.

Amazon 7/10

Notes - some quite graphic violence and childhood trauma themes

Meg 2. Pants.

No spoilers as it happens in the opening 5 minutes, but we open on Jurassic Park before Statham goes eco-friendly James Bond/Ethan Hunt.

Saw a 10am screening and was still dozing off.

To be fair I only gave the first one 5 out 10, and only went to this because my elderly mother loves shark movies. I was hoping that my low expectations would stand me in good stead to enjoy it a bit, but its a mess. 4/10

On the other hand I caught up with Air the other night and thought that was okay. Not great, but engaging enough to sit through without fiddling on my phone. 7/10

1 hour ago, Rample said:

Meg 2. Pants.

No spoilers as it happens in the opening 5 minutes, but we open on Jurassic Park before Statham goes eco-friendly James Bond/Ethan Hunt.

Saw a 10am screening and was still dozing off.

To be fair I only gave the first one 5 out 10, and only went to this because my elderly mother loves shark movies. I was hoping that my low expectations would stand me in good stead to enjoy it a bit, but its a mess. 4/10

On the other hand I caught up with Air the other night and thought that was okay. Not great, but engaging enough to sit through without fiddling on my phone. 7/10

You missed the important bit. You gave it 4/10. But what would your mother score it??

16 hours ago, Rample said:

Quoting it verbatim "I wasn't sure at the start but enjoyed it when it got going". 8/10 from the 80 year old!

I quite enjoyed the first one and the kids loved it...thought it was a tongue in cheek, ridiculously OTT, enjoyable film. Reminded me of Deep Blue Sea (?) with LL Cool J in it.

So compared to the first one.....?

Barbie.

0.5/10

Look there is a hidden meaning behind it all, telling us to be ourselves, not who we think we should be so I'll give it a .5 for that, but the film itself is terrible.

And @DarkFruitsRam7 called me sexist for saying so, and thinks the film is "quality".

I beg to differ and I cannot imagine the level of drugs that have been taken to create that hot mess.

If Ryan Gosling prancing around with his 6 pack out miming is your thing, then go for it, everyone else don't bother.

It's one of those films which young kids playing with Barbie today wouldn't get, it's one for the 15 year old pink girly girls. 

I get that's stereotyping but that's what it is. My Mrs walked out and thankfully said it was poo before me. 

8 minutes ago, David said:

Barbie.

0.5/10

Look there is a hidden meaning behind it all, telling us to be ourselves, not who we think we should be so I'll give it a .5 for that, but the film itself is terrible.

And @DarkFruitsRam7 called me sexist for saying so, and thinks the film is "quality".

I beg to differ and I cannot imagine the level of drugs that have been taken to create that hot mess.

If Ryan Gosling prancing around with his 6 pack out miming is your thing, then go for it, everyone else don't bother.

It's one of those films which young kids playing with Barbie today wouldn't get, it's one for the 15 year old pink girly girls. 

I get that's stereotyping but that's what it is. My Mrs walked out and thankfully said it was poo before me. 

Did someone steal your Action Man?