Rate the last film you saw partie deux

Ovis aries

Hurricane - which is the true story of the RAF 303 Squadron, all piloted by the Poles.

Incredible flying in which in just 8 weeks from mid-August to October 1940, (they weren't allowed to be operational sooner because they weren't trusted or could understand enough of the English language), they shot down over 200 German aircraft, with minimal losses compared to other squadrons, which amounted to 20% of the German losses during the Battle of Britain.

After the war they were treated awfully, with nearly 60% of British people wanting them to be sent back to Poland, where they would have been either sent to prison, tortured and in some cases executed by the Communists.

They weren't even allowed to attend or march in the 1946 Victory Parade in London and were given the most meaningless jobs.

This is true because my father was one of them.

12 hours ago, ImARam2 said:

Hurricane - which is the true story of the RAF 303 Squadron, all piloted by the Poles.

Incredible flying in which in just 8 weeks from mid-August to October 1940, (they weren't allowed to be operational sooner because they weren't trusted or could understand enough of the English language), they shot down over 200 German aircraft, with minimal losses compared to other squadrons, which amounted to 20% of the German losses during the Battle of Britain.

After the war they were treated awfully, with nearly 60% of British people wanting them to be sent back to Poland, where they would have been either sent to prison, tortured and in some cases executed by the Communists.

They weren't even allowed to attend or march in the 1946 Victory Parade in London and were given the most meaningless jobs.

What happened later?  I recall there was a polish club in Derby and my parents told me about the role the pilots had in the Battle.  I guess at some stage something improved just wondering if it was done properly.  Does your Dad have any fear over brexit?

19 minutes ago, Spanish said:

What happened later?  I recall there was a polish club in Derby and my parents told me about the role the pilots had in the Battle.  I guess at some stage something improved just wondering if it was done properly.  Does your Dad have any fear over brexit?

I ended up by accident in a Polish bar in Derby about 5 years ago, maybe more. Is it still there? Somewhere near the hospital.

The 'Dom Polski' club on Osmaston Road, Derby was set up by the Poles, mainly, but not exclusively, for ex-Polish pilots, and in the 1970's/80's it became a nightclub/disco.

The 'Dom Polski' has been shut down for over 15 years, however, the Polish Catholic Club on Kedleston Road, Derby, which opened in the 1950's, is still going strong and anyone can become a member.

To answer an earlier question, unfortunately my father is longer with us, however, he became a British citizen in 1952, the year I was born, after having to wait 5 years for naturalisation and because he longer had any family remaining after WWII, he fully ensconced into the English way of life, enjoying a pint, his home and watching Derby County.

A story about the Rams that he told me, was back in about 1948, as be was leaving the BBG, Derby were drawing but scored in the last minute to win. That goal cost him about £40 from the football pools, which was worth about a month's pay back then.

On 11/09/2018 at 19:06, ImARam2 said:

When I was a young scrawny air cadet, there was an event at the Polish Club, in Derby, in connection to Armistice Day.  I volunteered to attend and shake a tin around town afterwards.  I met a Polish pilot who told me that he served in the 307 night fighters, and eventhough they where shunned after the war, he never wanted to leave the UK.

After that I did some reasearch and found that a lot of 'foreign' flyers flew in the Battle of Britian.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-British_personnel_in_the_RAF_during_the_Battle_of_Britain

12 hours ago, JoetheRam said:

Gangs of New York

Too long, and somehow too many stars. Feels like you're watching actors, rather than the characters. Seems like a stage show.

Ambitious, but not as good as it should be given the gaffer in charge and the players at his disposal.

Nigel Pearson/100

I watched it again last night and feel a good part of that is down to Day-Lewis who has to ridiculously overact in most things he is in...making it feel like theatre.

Actors like di Caprio ..or a Tom Hanks who are more 'everyman' type actors are really undervalued. Shutter Island or Saving Private Ryan show you don't always need histrionics to grab an audience's attention.

41 minutes ago, dog said:

On the theme of Poland...

Cold War. Art house bw film about the destructive relationship between a couple of performing artists in post war Poland which is complicated by the european political systems that they live in

Very good. Not many laughs

Saw that last weekend. Really enjoyed it. Beautifully filmed. Beautiful music, even though it's far from my normal taste in music! 

21 hours ago, JoetheRam said:

Gangs of New York

Too long, and somehow too many stars. Feels like you're watching actors, rather than the characters. Seems like a stage show.

Ambitious, but not as good as it should be given the gaffer in charge and the players at his disposal.

Nigel Pearson/100

16 years ago they weren't really stars! 

On 12/01/2018 at 09:37, ColonelBlimp said:

Strange one for me, started well, great soundtrack, built up well but then the last third i think it lost it's way a bit.

still, worth a 7/10

Just watched now.

I thought the film got better the longer it went on, what a soundtrack and great performances all round, really good and short by modern standards, which is always a blessing.

8/10 - Keogh on a good day.

5 hours ago, Parsnip said:

@Lambchop If I had to guess which film you'd review on this thread, I would've guessed Mio fratello è figlio unico.

Or if not that then some other film depicting the post war political struggles in Italy through the experiences of a divided family.

You read me like a book. 

But of all the films depicting the post war political struggles in Italy through the experiences of a divided family, Mio fratello è figlio unico is the best. 

Chattering classes, innit. 

Backtrack.

Never heard of this Australian film before but is currently free on Amazon Prime.

Adrien Brody & Sam Neill

A psychologist realises all of his regular patients are dead and all died 20 years ago..... Sounds a little naff maybe but I was pleasantly surprised by this ghostly thriller, with some chilling moments and twisty plot. Worth a watch.

A surprising 7/10