Rate the last film you saw partie deux

Ovis aries

The Post, tonight with Mrs Ilkley.  For those of us old enough to remember the actual events an excellent film.  Streep, Hanks and Spielberg are a good combination 

The Darkest Hour was a very good recent watch, in part because my brother in law was prominent in it as an extra, but The Commuter suspended belief a little too much

Edited by ilkleyram
Missed a bit

St Vincent, with Bill Murry. Formulaic old git helps youngster coming of age thing, but heartwarming nonetheless and worth the watch for Murry doing what he does so well. 

Also recently saw Skeletons for the first time, filmed in and around Bonsall, including my friends’ house. Clever idea, strong characters and a bittersweet humour; really enjoyed it. 

• 2 weeks later...

Watched Darkest Hour. Not much of a film really, good portrayal by Gary Oldman but needed a better story. Cringe of a tube train scene that was like watching a kids tv program. I was excited about this probably because of how good The King's Speech was - but it's nowhere near. 6/10

Edited by Parsnip

Thor - Ragnarok

I did enjoy it but, to be honest I'm not sure I'm on board with the new wisecracking Thor and the feel & tone of this film being similar to Gardians of the Galaxy. I think I preferred it when Thor wasn't purely playing it for laughs.

Still a 7/10 for me though. I could watch Cate Blanchet and Tom Hiddlestone all day long.

Murder on the Orient Express

I love the old 70's & 80's Agatha Christie films - especially Peter Ustinov ones, so have been looking forward to this one for a while. Obviously because of this, I knew whodunnit but the story was darker than the original (from memory).

Good stuff:

Direction & Camera work

Depiction of Poirot's OCD

Great cast with loads of stars

Bad stuff:

Some dodgy CGI with the exterior scenes

Distracting Moustache!

8/10

On 3/10/2018 at 23:35, r4derby said:

Watched Thor Ragnarok. Probably my joint favourite Marvel film alongside the first Guardians of the Galaxy. Enjoyable. 8.5/10 (subject to change after multiple viewings)

Got Thor Ragnorak on blu-ray the other day, that and the 2 Guardians of the Galaxy movies are the best Marvel movies imo as well :)

The last 2 movies I've watched however are Black Panther at the cinema and Wonder Woman that has just come on Sky.  I'd probably give BP 5/10 and WW 1/10 - and a don't believe the PC hype warning.  I'm all for equality of all kinds but promoting these as wonderful movies because of the actors/directors/underlying messages etc doesn't make them good movies. 

Wonder Woman was as poor a movie as I've seen in a long time.

Thor: Ragnarok. I thought it was bloody good fun, even the missus enjoyed it and she doesn't tend to be in to the super hero stuff although Hemsworth might have had something to do with it.

I propose we change the rating system from a number/10 system to a comparable Derby player. With that in mind I give Thor: Ragnarok a solid Jeff Hendrick.