What is best away grounds been to past and present

B4ev6is

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hillsborough's pies are superb. Trying to get back to the city centre to catch the train is abit of a pig, I ended up walking last time.

Old Trafford for the history and scope. Living around the corner from the ground was amazing, I'd never get bored of seeing it.

One I didn't like was Cardiff's new ground. The actual city is really nice, the ground was crap. It's like they half built it, the concourse feels like a prison. Got spat at as well which wasnt great.

I have to go back decades ('79 to '83 mainly) for the bulk of my away day trips, with only a handful in the past decade or so.  (Just realised... Even Old Trafford League Cup Semi was over a decade ago now!  Blimey!)

I can fully relate to @uttoxram75's comment about "trespassing", but I guess that relates more to the era, than the ground itself.  A good description, nonetheless.  
Ayresome, Goodison, and Upton Parks (Nobody called it The Boleyn Ground back then!) immediately spring to mind on that score.
Even Ashton Gate, Kennilworth Rd, Victoria Ground and Portman Rd had their moments!

I seem to remember being most impressed with St James' Park, Highbury, and White Hart Lane above others.  Maine Rd had something about it too.  Stamford Bridge wasn't as exciting as I'd hoped.

The massive side terrace at The Valley was impressive (size-wise), although not particularly well-inhabited when I was there!

Loftus Rd was (surprisingly?) "atmospheric" back then, albeit under floodlights, which always helps.  Equally as impressive, but less surprisingly I guess, was the likes of Molyneux, Villa Park, and Anfield.  Even The Hawthorns was quite impressive at the time.

Best terrace view?  ... I cheated... Half way up The Kop, bang central.  Awesome view, but the accent made my teeth itch!
Weirdest atmos?  Defo the party atmosphere at Carrow Rd, as we vowed to be back in '81!  ? 
Poo?  Cambridge, Orient, and Shrewsbury spring to mind.  Bolton was a let down too, if memory serves.  

My voice officially broke at Blundell Park... and was witnessed by the whole away end!  Not funny, when you are performing the solo intro to "Oh when The Rams... Go Marching in..."!

Of the more "famous" grounds, I'm sad to say I have yet to visit the likes of Elland Rd, St Andrews, and Roker... and the newer stadiums (Although I did get to Etihad Stadium in "That Season"!).
I did finally get to Wembley last time out (never made it to the old one).  Despite the game/result, I was actually more impressed than I expected.  I'd go again!  ??

1 hour ago, Tamworthram said:

Maybe it’s just me but, until they were due to leave, I didn’t know their old ground was called Boleyn Ground. To me it was always Upton Park.

Upton Park was the Underground Station that was closest to the ground , that according to my Hammers supporting mate why it was often referredto as that.

Defo the party atmosphere at Carrow Rd, as we vowed to be back in '81!  ?

I was also there Mucker! Amazing atmosphere. Dexy's Midnight Runners; Alan Biley and Dave Swindlehurst; refusing to leave the terraces until the team came back out; battling the obnoxious police as they herded us to and from the ground; following the team coach all the way back. Special times!

Brentford has to be the most overrated.

This mythical pub on all 4 corners thing is just that. At least one is closed, one needs to be closed, and the one that is half decent is almost impossible to get served at. Yes it's got a terrace which is welcome but it's so shallow you might as well not bother. Plus it's an absolute dive of an area.

It's a 6/10 at best - and 3 of those points are for the floodlight pylons.

Best aways in London are Fulham and Millwall. 

Boleyn Ground was rough as arse, and "characterful", ditto Fratton Park.

Norwich is underrated - good pubs, easy access from the station and a good ground.

Worst is definitely Reading - just completely bland, a million miles from anything and annoying fans.

Molineux is good, just not for away fans - always a decent atmosphere, even when they're average in the Championship but quite a smart stadium still and not completely dilapidated as some are. Bit dicey around the ground - the only time I've been out and out offered a fight whilst queueing for a burger.

More recently enjoyed a couple of trips to Craven Cottage but I think my favourite away ground was the old White Hart Lane. Not just because I was lucky to be at both the fantastic wins in the late 80's but because I lived in Tottenham for 3 years and saw some other games there, not Rams matches, and always liked the view and great atmosphere.....

For those (younger ones?) not aware... imagine Shaftsbury Crescent, running alongside the ABC stand at the BBG.  Then imagine building a new stand on the other side of the street, (That's a 2 way road plus pavement either side) before knocking down the old stand, (In close season) to extend the ground.  

That's what they did at Molineux!  The tunnel/benches were miles away from the pitch, at least for the first season, before they re-laid and re-positioned the pitch!

6 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

Maybe it’s just me but, until they were due to leave, I didn’t know their old ground was called Boleyn Ground. To me it was always Upton Park.

Upton Park was the district of Lahndan it was in - officially it was always named "the Boleyn", but TV commentators only seemed o refer to it as such after they had left as well.....

As others have mentioned Grimsby Town's Blundell Park, it is always an interesting away day.

I remember attending with my dad in September 1980 to watch the Rams win at Grimsby Town 1-0 and it brings back memories of how much I loved David Swindlehurst. I also love the Internet for bringing such memories back to me, I'm sure I have the programme somewhere in the loft. The ground also brings back great memories of seeing other Derby games at Grimsby Town in the early 80's seeing Charlie George, Alan Biley, Kevin Wilson, Steve Powell, Barry Powell, Steve Buckley, Paul Emson, Vjekoslav Banovic and even Mick Brolly.

It always bring's back early memories for myself of also attending the ground in Dec 1980 as I went along with my elder brother a Chelsea fan, my uncle a Chelsea fan and my father a Hull City fan. We approached the ground with Chelsea fans wearing their green bomber jackets who helped themselves to various vegetables including celery from the outsides of a grocery store and spent most of the afternoon in the ground singing about celery. I remember laughing to myself that a Chelsea player was called John Bumstead and watched Grimsby Town win the game 2-0.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Good

Newcastle is fantastic for a night out, plus the stadium is incredible, just make sure you use the lift!!

Peterborough losing 3-0 was the best experience ever.

MK Don's was quite nice but miles away from anything

Craven Cottage on course.

I enjoyed Ashton Gate too and Hull!

Now Cardiff is dreadful, amazing city but awful stadium, even dressing up as The Undertaker didnt improve it.

Not a fan of Bolton, Wembley, Millwall, Huddersfield.

56 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Upton Park was the district of Lahndan it was in - officially it was always named "the Boleyn", but TV commentators only seemed o refer to it as such after they had left as well.....

Graham Richards always made a point of calling it the Boleyn Ground, insisting the same as you, that that is it's name and not Upton Park.

1 hour ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

I lived in Waghorn Road in Upton Park for a year, road just off the tube station. Police horses used to go passed my front door on a Saturday and I could hear the crowd from my house. Saw the Rams at Upton Park a few times, including the infamous League Cup quarter final when the Dean Saunders winner was ruled out......

Best viewing ground - the terracing at Boltons' Burnden Park, they were really steep..

Amongst my favourites were Highbury, Goodison Park and The Dell. As someone has already mentioned, the terrace at The Valley was huge.

What surprised me, apart from clubs moving to new stadiums, was the number of League grounds visited where the clubs are no longer in any of the top four divisions - Chester, Southport, Wrexham, Stockport and Notts C. Sadly, a few more likely to be added to that list come next season.

Archived