What is best away grounds been to past and present

B4ev6is

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, oldtimeram said:

Stadium of Light Benfica......enjoyed that day (in the bars of Lisbon) and the match at night

I also like Plainmoor........feels like being on holiday 

You clearly have a penchant for a certain style of stadium.  Those two being almost identical!  ?

Ive always enjoyed Villa Park B4. Lovely building especially the walk up to the Holte End which is a listed building. 

They need to sort that train station out close by though ( name anyone?) lts tiny and takes ages to get a train back to New Street. 

On 04/05/2020 at 14:48, SamUltraRam said:

image.thumb.png.d6deba5b40c7c78262d7a8bb1425c3a6.png

is this the game that was the replay after  new years day game at somerton park was abandoned half time? we was losing 0-1 at half time and it was pi55ing down all day. i was soaked to the bone in the home end 

13 hours ago, StockholmRam said:

Ive always enjoyed Villa Park B4. Lovely building especially the walk up to the Holte End which is a listed building. 

They need to sort that train station out close by though ( name anyone?) lts tiny and takes ages to get a train back to New Street. 

Villa was always a good day out. The station is Witton.

2 hours ago, bimmerman said:

St James Park, exeter

Proper old school ground, concrete slab as an away end, big standing terrace for the home. The path to the stand is a jungle path over mud. 

Went there last year and stood in that large terrace (think they call it The Big Bank.) We were with away team but so were at least 50% of fans in there! 

12 hours ago, angieram said:

Went there last year and stood in that large terrace (think they call it The Big Bank.) We were with away team but so were at least 50% of fans in there! 

Exeter football has hardly ever hit the heights of excitement even when grinding out results, or when playing  "local" derbies against Torquay or Plymouth. Attendances have always been poor considering the size of the city and distance from other teams. Good for social distancing though.

Stadium built in 1904 and feels like it was never improved since then. Dump really.

Loved going all over back in the 80s, football special trains, terracing, etc. Them were the days!!! Some grounds that I enjoyed were,

Roker Park, Sunderland

The Boleyn Ground/Upton Park, West Ham

The Dell, Southampton

Highbury, Arsenal

On 08/05/2020 at 08:54, OUTSIDER said:

is this the game that was the replay after  new years day game at somerton park was abandoned half time? we was losing 0-1 at half time and it was pi55ing down all day. i was soaked to the bone in the home end 

The season before for the abandoned game, me and my old man drove down and got delayed due to the car breaking down. Just got over the Severn Bridge hoping to get in at half-time only to hear that it had been called off

For the  game after the abandoned one, my mate got banned for throwing bricks after a welsh copper arrested him. Mistaken identity though so i had to suffer the next year with him whinging how he couldn't get a season ticket for 1986/87 due to the copper's myopia?

3 hours ago, FindernRam said:

Exeter football has hardly ever hit the heights of excitement even when grinding out results, or when playing  "local" derbies against Torquay or Plymouth. Attendances have always been poor considering the size of the city and distance from other teams. Good for social distancing though.

Stadium built in 1904 and feels like it was never improved since then. Dump really.

They were in the process of building two new stands when I was there - hence the lack of space for away fans and them turning a blind eye to us all mixing on the Big Bank. 

I quite enjoyed the experience; we caught the train from Torquay, it's a lovely run along the coast but the train was rammed! They have their own station next to the ground.

I think the two stands are open this season, at least it looks like it from the EFL highlights.

I was born and lived near Newton Abbot till I came to Derby at 18. Hence my affiliation even today for Torquay. Our family were poor and depended on a friend to get me and Dad to most home gains in his battered Ford Pop. Got to occasional Exeter games (without parental knowledge) by taking train on a platform ticket.

Exeter in those days had  (maybe still has) a good speedway team and Rugby Union which I think drew crowd away from the Grecians!

Think it is one of my favourite cities though.

Just now, FindernRam said:

I was born and lived near Newton Abbot till I came to Derby at 18. Hence my affiliation even today for Torquay. Our family were poor and depended on a friend to get me and Dad to most home gains in his battered Ford Pop. Got to occasional Exeter games (without parental knowledge) by taking train on a platform ticket.

Exeter in those days had  (maybe still has) a good speedway team and Rugby Union which I think drew crowd away from the Grecians!

Think it is one of my favourite cities though.

Newton Abbot. Used to be the stop going to Newquay where you had some hope of finally getting of the train . My mate at work was from Exeter, big fan . when he came to work in Derby, first day he was here he got a load of grief of some lads who thought he was wearing a Forest scarf on Burton Road.  This was on his walk to Rosehill Street to check out a place to rent.  Reckons that street was more terrifying at 9 in the morning than the area round the flats  in Woolwich where he lived for 10 yrs.  He got used to Derby though .

32 minutes ago, angieram said:

They were in the process of building two new stands when I was there - hence the lack of space for away fans and them turning a blind eye to us all mixing on the Big Bank. 

I quite enjoyed the experience; we caught the train from Torquay, it's a lovely run along the coast but the train was rammed! They have their own station next to the ground.

I think the two stands are open this season, at least it looks like it from the EFL highlights.

Plymouths ground isn't great . 5am start to get there, sloping pitch , chucking down with rain, a martin taylor balls up for a late equaliser, soaked on the way back.  Also a girl I was trying to avoid on the coach .  It was a long painful day that one .

3 hours ago, angieram said:

the new stands been built and was opened at the start of this season

community run club so as long as there's no trouble there's often fans mixing in the stands.the new away stand is literally a metal roof over the concrete slab.live locally so get to more games there then Derby these days

Archived